National Day Camping – Report

All reports about trips and events
Uristier
Advanced
Advanced

National Day Camping – Report

Post by Uristier »

The trip started fine. With the exception of one who waited at another well known meeting point everybody arrived on time. Our member T-J from Ras Al Khaimah made it well ahead on time.

Our next WP was the ADNOC station in Sweihan to meet with Tweety and Jo and to fill petrol. After a short pit stop we continued to the deflation point.

Jo gave a short “special off road” briefing to our first timers and we were ready for the dunes. 13 cars floated over the dunes like a snake. With desert_hawk as my second lead, Jo as the sweeper, and Gladiator, Tweety and Pumukl as “in convoy supporters” everybody did well and the few stucks were handled efficiently.

Following the track is essential. This lesson was learnt by a newbie who “thought” and decided to choose his own track. The result was a “stuck” in a good ditch.

Just on time we arrived at the camping site. Pumukl dropped the firewood, turned his truck around and said good-bye. Jo and Tweety accompanied Pumukl to the big dune. Thank you Pumukl for your support and for being with us during day one.

After “installing” the camp it was time for the campfire and bbq, a chat and a shisha. Late at night our friend amit_likhite started preparing the “midnight dinner or breakfast”. The chatting group diminished slowly.

The sleep under the starry-sky and the low temperature (around 10° Celsius) was marvellous.

Day two started with a good cup of coffee (no Starbucks or Costa) and the welcome of our Chief Marshal. Despite earlier promises we missed an “on time departure. With a “45 minutes delay” we left a camp site and continued our journey toward Al Ain.

It seemed that some members were physically present but not fully awake resulting in a stuck. The following crossing of the dune awoke the last driver. Time for a short lesson how to cross a dune and landing on the other side.

Dune crossing, easy driving and stucks were the significant events. Oh yes there was one pop out to register and Newbie not listening to Marshals instruction but knowing better what do. During a break some excessive adrenalin was relieved by my second lead and finally we arrived at Bida Bint Said, the end of our National Day Camping Trip.

Thanks to desert_hawk for being the second lead and to Tweety, Jo, Gladiator and Khaiwi for the support. It is always relaxing to lead a trip knowing you have a good support throughout the convoy.

See you all soon – back in the dunes.

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Re: National Day Camping – Report

Post by desert_hawk »

Urs,
It was one of the amazing trips, fun-LY selected track, great company, excellent leader, and amazing support
the camping experience under the moonless sky with endless number of stars
the chat at the barBQ was gr8, meeting new people, learning new things, and breaking new cars ;)
it was pleasure being ur 2nd lead, and hope to have more of these camping trips
Jo, its always joyful time chatting with u, and Gladiator, always nice to have those JEEP versus FJ (or any car if that matters) chats with u
nice meeting u all, special welcome to our friend from Ras Alkhaima...TJ...always welcome
plenty of pics taken, hope to see all or most of them in the album
thanks Urs for arranging the trip;;; Jo, Tweety, Gladiator and The Chief for being around to support....hope to see everyone next time
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

Urs,,,
album plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

T-J
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by T-J »

I was very glad to join this trip. Despite meeting a lot of people for the very first time, i didn't feel i was a stranger at all, thanks to everyone.
Uristier was very helpful giving directions to the meeting point, for I am not very familiar with AD. Everyone was welcoming, friendly and helpful. I was also happy with all the briefing and checking before starting the trip, which made me feel safe throughout the two days. certainly learnt a handful of tips and information from everyone, Urs, Desert-Hawk, Pumukl and Gladiator.

Special thanx for Urs to organize this wonderful trip and being a very patient instructor, Desert-Hawk for making me feel one of the group and also for the grilled chicken, Pumukl for sticking behind me on the convoy and making me feel safe, and SPECIAL THANX to Jo and Tweety for waiting for me at the gas station to guide me back to Dubai>RAK, and when i made it to the gas station, i discovered my 50+kms worth of mistake, but i made it to home safe and sound.
was also great to meet Jeff, Amid, John and Leah, and everyone else i forgot his/her name (you know about my amnesia by now)

Looking forward to the next trip :)

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Thanks Urs for the nice relaxing trip.

It was great to see some old faces and some new. I definitly had some fun and enjoyed the company.

Pics will be uploaded soon.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Bluiser
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Bluiser »

Thanks Uris. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and got some good tips, especially on how to cross a razor back dune without without ending head over heels! We appreciated the good advice, and good company. looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Bluiser (John & Leah)
Bluiser - the Blue Cruiser.

Things are never so bad that they can't get any worse!