Viking farewell trip - Report

All reports about trips and events
Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

This is not the normal trip report since it will sort of include all good memories of 3 1/2 years in the sand more or less every week with a few exceptions. It has been a wonderful time and as I said to a few people today - without AD4x4 I would probably have left long time ago. The Friday getaways with nice people have been very helpful really.
It was very nice to see so many old faces today and I appreciate that you all came along and gave me this nice memories. AD4x4 is a fantastic family and today was a good evidence.
Iguana and Khaiwi which always have been helpful and supporting. Khaiwi was also the one who brought me to Hameem the first time and I still remember him calling me on the radio asking "Is this your first time here in Liwa?" and my answer was "Yes". The reply was then "OK so this one is for you" and when I got over the crest there is a 150 m slope and I just got goosebumps. This is one of the moments you never forget.
Mike & Katharina who helped me in the beginning. I was helping Mike with a Newbie trip when I was Intermediate and Mike asked me to lead. I set off on the gravelroad trying to find a nice spot to enter the sand and found one. Got out 20 meters from the road and sank down to the chassi of my Patrol so Mike had to pull me out before the Newbies even left the gravelroad :-)
I could go on forever and there are so many more that should be mentioned. I also can not forget my trips with JC. I can not understand what he says when I talk to him and imagine this through the radio but we sort of managed in one way or another. Jax who was the one who helped me to become a Marshal and I hope I have been able to help others as well. Yehia for all the nice cups of tea after our trips. As I said I have so many good memories so please forgive me for not mentioning all of you.

So what about today? Well a huge group of cars went to the deflationpoint where we divided into three groups. Newbies with me, Intermediates with Juergen and Triplod and finally the Advanced with Mood.
Our group had a nice drive through various terrain and dunes before Mark decided to slow the whole convoy down with a double pop-out. In good family spirit we left him (together with a couple of Marshals though :-) ) and continued. Later on we ended up at the BBQ point and it was a big group enjoying a comfortable evening in the desert with good friends and loads of food as usual. I have never left a AD4x4 BBQ hungry and I didnt need to tonight either 8-)

Again thanks to all that showed up and also thanks to all that I know would have showed up unless they were out of the country or had any other reasons for not being able to. And finally good luck to all of you that will still have the opportunity to go out with the best 4x4 club in the world.

This was a trip to remember :D :D :D
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

Dear Viking,
Thanks for organising this amazing trip, or shall I say event, and as much as we enjoyed it, I think I speak for everyone that we all kept in mind that this is Viking goodbye trip. I had my ANIT trip with you about 15 months back, and few great trips, and can't say more than thank you and hope to see you one day here on the sand, or may be in Sweden, who knows, good luck and good bye.
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Viking farewell trip - Report

Post by tillybean »

Sounds like a fab day out, and a wonderful way to thank you Eric for all your support and the great times that we have all had with you.

Sorry to have missed it but know we will see you back at some point - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch.
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

thabit
Advanced
Advanced

Post by thabit »

Viking, we will miss you. It was great day and it’s really nice to see you all; even my car broke but overall its was great trip

Still have a lot of meat, planning trip on TEUSEDAY after work :-)

Thabit
Last edited by thabit on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chevy NEVER SAY NEVER

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

thabit wrote:Viking, we all missing you. It was great day and it’s really nice to see all; even my car broke buy overall its was great trip

Still have a lot of meat, planning trip on TEUSEDAY after work :-)

Thabit
Grrrrrr....you wait until I am away.....!
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Viking, one of the most active Marshals in the club ... We will really miss you

Too many memories to talk about ... I still remember the smile on your face when I told you that we want you to be a Marshal in the club ... And since then you did not stop taking people to the desert.

The trip was great, weather was a bit hot at the beginning, but after 5, the weather was good and I enjoyed the route .. I discoverd that I miss the desert and my JEEP ... And I started playing .. Too much that I was actually about to roll over :mrgreen: .. Nice shout on the radio from Doc "Iguana, stop you are rolling over" .. And all the Marshals came around to help me getting out of the stuck

Then we had Mike and his battery problem .. we had to connect his car with 2 other cars to start his engine again, then the douple pup out in a middle of a bawl ... That took us around 45 min to fix ...

It was fun .. And with AD4x4 spirit, it was enjoyable

Thank you Viking .. and I hope you all the best in your trips back home
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

I hate farewell parties, but thats unavoidable thing. We will miss you in the desert Eric however, will always be in touch and follow up with you on FB.

I will upload my pictures soon and whomever has my pictures kindly send me high resolution copies to my mail akhaiwi@eim.ae

Wishing you all the best of luck Eric.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

Thanks Eric for another nice trip, and thanks for all the advice you given to jayne & I over many trips...all the best and safe travels... :)
Sean & Jayne

Guevara
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Guevara »

Eric

I appreciate your farewell report on this last trip And I wish to underline how ad x4x is a like a big traditional family like those ones of the old times, where old members teach how to drive to new members and then the news teach to the next to come ....

I did my first trip w you and I remember how you took safety as a paramount. Sand can be very tricky and we had an example just yesterday with the intermediate trip.

I wish you all the best and ...... whenever you have an holyday just come here !

CIao

Stefano

PS thanks to Triplod for the nice trip
Mobile 056 1205601
X Terra Off Road 2009 - PRG 2.5" Lift Kit - AOR LED lights

Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Cybershot »

Yes, fairwell trips are not my prefered trips either.......Wish you all the best Eric for you time in sweden!

Thank you for organizing that nice trip and to all the guys participating. Was a nice company as usual.

Specialy to Juergen, 9Ball and Katharina for offering there seats for my guests and heas123 for taking me at his passanegr seat and borne all the "good advices" in an 5 secound interval.... :mrgreen:
Tobias aka Cybershot 050-6155087
With
FRANKENSTEIN aka 2001 Jeep XJ 4.7L Stroker

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."
Walter Roehrl wrote:“Speed is when the tears of enjoyment are running horizontally to the ears”

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Thank you Vicking for all the trips we've done together over the last years, it was an absolute blast. Yesterday was a great way to finish it, awesome trip, great group, everybody did very well. See you all in the sands again soon, and Eric see you in Scandinavia or on PS3!
Desnav team: Whassup? with Waqmaster and Triplod.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 doors for the dunes
Spidertrax lift kit, Old Man Emu suspension, Mopar Cold Air Intake, extra radiator for transmission, Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels, KC lights, more stuff to come.
2012 Mustang convertible for the highway and speeding tickets
Predator cues for the pool table (Samsara for play, BK2 for break, Air for jump, Predator case)
Black Belt in Karate
PADI Rescue Diver and Nitrox certified
Super hot wife, 3 cats: one weird looking Sphynx, one crazy fat Arabian Mau and one we are not sure about but not a whole lot smarter
nineballwizard on PS4 Call of Duty games

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Proud to be Marshal with best club in UAE

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ I hate to say good bye so i will say see you soon Eric THE one and only VIKING!!!!!

thanks for organizing and leading us through al Khatim!! i know you did not even use your GPS as you are one of the only few person who know the area by heart ;) the route was excelent and it was a pleasure meeting a lot of new faces specialy Doc and his son! and some old retired grand pa!!!!!! yes, i am speacking about you Islam!!!!

take good care of your self my dear friend Eric!!!!!! and if you are to cold in the north pole, my door will always be open!!!!!

this is only an "au revoir"

Wasabi
We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

Wasabi wrote: i know you did not even use your GPS as you are one of the only few person who know the area by heart ;)
True. As my normal GPs left with my Jeep I had a brand new one but I never figured out how it was working but as you said - I have spent a few hours in that area before 8-)
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Triplod
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Triplod »

It is a pity that it takes someone leaving to bring out the masses of AD4x4, however this was really a great tribute to you Eric.
Thanks for the many trips you led and for the straight shooting posts on the forums. You are always welcome to borrow my TJ if you decide to visit the UAE, as long as I have it and I stay here.

We and the club will miss you.

Regards Triplod.

Will up load photos.

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Yeah, one of our greatest Marshals was calling and despite the July heat so many came to say " see you soon again Erik ".

We share so many trips and memories which will never be forgotten, sorry that we had to leave early due to the dead battary, but hey, we never know what things are good for in life :lol: It was another very emotional day for me to see you leaving now that we are also about to leave and, frankly, I was thinking most of the time back to our farewell trip for Andy and his Pathfinder, do not know really why, just was like it.

Erik, I wish you all the very best and success in all your future endeavours, the world is small today, so I trust we'll see us somewhere, sometime again.

Take care ...

Mike

PS: Thank to all who helped me jump starting my car, pure family spirit as always. Good for Kader, he just one a brand new batt :D
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...