Bu Tais Adventures Vol V Trip Report

All reports about trips and events
PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Bu Tais Adventures Vol V Trip Report

Post by PearlyGates59 »

Once again, a wonderful morning of driving with super people in the amazing Bu Tais area.

Everybody met on time, and after the brief (which included a short geography lesson!) we immediately hit the dunes. The route took us around the dunes closer to the road side of Bu Tais, an area which isn't often driven much. Convoy order was as follows:

1. Ceri -Second Lead (JKR)
2. Bogdan (JK)
3. Ashir (Land Cruiser)
4. AbdulRazeem (Fortuner)
5. Rob W (JK)
6. Fiona (FJ)
7. Marie (Pajero)
8. Tomas (Nissan Patrol)
9. Cornelius (Pajero Monterro)
10. Sameer (Xterra)
11. Samk - Official Sweeper (Pathfinder)
Support - Geert (JKR)
Flaghunter (JK)
Kharadly (JK)

I must say I was impressed by everybody's driving throughout the morning. The terrain was quite technically challenging in parts, and of course we had a number of second tries and stucks; but as I said during the drive, getting stuck helps you learn! We managed stucks on crests, on flat sand and in small ditches, and used the full range of recovery techniques including winching, snatch and self recoveries. That said I didn't feel the drive every really slowing down, and we achieved our target of hitting the Sabkha plain in just under 3 hours.

From that point we had a relaxing half hour where I took the convoy to see the next Sabkha plain along the easy gatch, before ending the drive amongst the trees.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trip, and as always what makes a trip is the people. My thanks to you all for a great day! And particular thanks to the support team of Flaghunter, Geert and Kharadly; you guys were kept busy and I was very gratedul you were there to assist! Also a special mention goes to Marie - the first time I've ever had someone on my trip who drove from another country! Hope you got back ok!

Matt
Matt - Pearlygates59
Ford Raptor aka The Silver Shark

Fiona

Re: Bu Tais Adventures Vol V Trip Report

Post by Fiona »

Brilliant trip. A huge thanks to Matt for being a great teacher and to the support team for sorting me out when I got stuck.

Keri

Post by Keri »

This was a great drive, Matt. Possibly my favourite so far. Many thanks to you and the support team for making it happen.
The drive itself kept us on our toes and I was really grateful for the opportunity to be second lead. It’s quite a different drive when you haven’t watch 2 or 3 cars do the route ahead of you!
Thanks also for setting up the pre-trip WhatsApp group. It’s nice to have a bit of extra communication, especially when driving to the meet up point solo.
Great to meet you all drivers 😁. I look forward to receiving my certificate for being the first car to have been recovered by your winch, Matt.

Geert
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Geert »

Thanks Matt for organising this trip. Nice technical track with also some bigger dunes to have fun in. All drivers did really well, looking forward to see you all in the sand. Cheers,

Geert

Flaghunter
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Flaghunter »

Great track Matt, thank you for organising! It was an awesome morning with safe, relaxed, and enjoyable driving. Also, it's always very cool to explore new areas.
Flaghunter, Wrangler TJ 2005, 0544727447

Kharadly
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kharadly »

Thanks for organizing the trip, it was an amazing trip in an amazing location.

The pace was great and all drivers were exceptional given the technical terrain.

Always a pleasure driving behind you Matt.

It was a pleasure seeing new and familiar faces

PeggyPJ1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by PeggyPJ1 »

Thank you for a great trip. I must say it was one of my favourite ever. I’d love to drive with you all again soon.