EmDoc
Marshal
Marshal

Advance Adventures in Bu tais: 14/02/2020

Post by EmDoc »

Lead: EmDoc
Advance: Serkan
Support: Pearlygates59, Petro, loefflmj1

After waiting for one no show (please make sure you let us know when you can’t make it), our one advance Serkan, supported by 3 marshals and an expert set off into the red sands of Bu tais. Mark was second lead with Matt and Kevin watching from the back. We warmed up by steadily picking up the pace cresting and sloping the larger bowls on our way to the Bu tais tree rest stop. The second part of the trip saw us continue to savour the unspoilt sand of the area until a mechanical issue with the suspension on Mark’s FJ stopped our play and prevented any further progress. At this point after about one and half hours of driving, the trip turned from a enjoyable drive into an exercise of teamwork. Everyone played a part in assessing and helping to rectify the problem, but by the time we got the car temporarily mobile the morning was drawing to a close so we set back to the inflation point reflecting on the mornings outing.

Thank everyone for an interesting morning that once again showed that not only can we have fun together but also pull together and work as a team when the unexpected strikes.

All told a truly adventurous advance outing, see all again soon.

Michael

PearlyGates59
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Advance Adventures in Bu tais: 14/02/2020

Post by PearlyGates59 »

As always a pleasure to drive with you Michael, and a really interesting and enjoyable morning with some ingenious problem solving on display! Great fun!
Matt - Pearlygates59
Ford Raptor aka The Silver Shark

loefflmj1
Marshal
Marshal

Post by loefflmj1 »

As they say, “stuff happens.” First of all thank you Michael for a great lead and smooth track. Thank you for giving me second lead, an honor. So yeah, my left Upper Control Arm dislodged one-half of itself after the nut came loose and the bolt slowly made its way out. A noise developed and I immediately stopped after coming off a side slope. This is the point the trip became interesting. The teamwork Michael mentioned kicked in. First Kevin exclaims “your control arm fell off!” That’s not good, right?. In a matter of minutes we all pitched in with our thoughts, ideas and sweat. The bolt wouldn’t go back in, it had been bent. What do we do? We bend it back using Kevin’s winch and Serkan’s trailer hitch. We manage to get bolt back in and control arm re-attached to steering knuckle. No nut though, that was lost to the sand gods. What do we do? We use a hose clamp and duct tape to hold bolt in place. Matt made sure that was secure. Meanwhile, I’m on the phone with Suhaib and Marshal Tompa-Bjorka to help with replacement nut and washer, knowing that Thomas is joining afternoon Newbie trip and will be coming down anyway. Suhaib, on his off-day, graciously accepts my text and has one of his guys let Thomas into his shop to retrieve the needed parts. We successfully drive out of desert and reach deflation point, with field repair completely intact, I firmly believe it would have held even if we wanted to continue the trip.
This was a special trip. You can imagine my frustration, two weeks earlier leaving a convoy due to CV joint failure, one week ago leaving a Liwa convoy due to passenger illness and then this. I was feeling a bit jinxed. Who would want to sign up for a trip with me along? Marshal Matt was beginning to have his doubts haha. I wouldn’t blame the other driver’s for bumming out about missing out on a cool drive with Michael, I know I would be, but after what I saw and was a part of, doing what we did out there, I can honestly say this was one of the most memorable trips yet. Its not always about the driving, its also about the bonds and trust in each other formed by situations like this, mechanical breakdowns or other similar events that turn the drive into something unexpected. I reiterate Michael’s sentiments. We were a team. So thanks again Michael, Kevin, Matt, Serkan, Matt’s passenger, Suhaib (and un-named mechanic), and Thomas. I didn’t want to miss supporting Kevin’s afternoon Bu Tais newbie trip and you all made that happen. Much appreciation out to all.
Mark

EmDoc
Marshal
Marshal

Post by EmDoc »

If only we had a video 😃

petro
Marshal
Marshal

Post by petro »

Great trip Michael, the desert was beautiful that morning, the sand was firm, the temperature was perfect, the light was just right, the dunes were magnificent and the track was smooth and exhilarating.

KomSer
Marshal
Marshal

Post by KomSer »

It was great day to meet all of you Guys... My last advance trip in Bu Tais was with Michael was more than one year back. that's why I felt that I missed the place when I arrived there.

I was only the one Advance driver under observation of 3 Marshals :))

Unfortunately Mark's car had a mechanical issue on the upper control arm and the team work started. (never leave someone behind :) )

Upper control arm screw had moved out due to the loose bolt and it was bent, Kevin had a good idea to fix it while using his winch with my trailer hitch. It was done and it's fixed to the upper control arm with the hose clip :) since we didnt have the same size of bolt.

I believe that; Whatever happens, happens for good...... Maybe it was a short drive but we still enjoyed and worked together to fix something.

Thanks Michael for arranging wonderful drive. Lets consider it warm up for the next Bu Tais drive and see you soon there again.

Regards
Serkan
Serkan Ortac