Sideslopping in Bu-Tais 13 March

All reports about trips and events
petro
Marshal
Marshal

Sideslopping in Bu-Tais 13 March

Post by petro »

We joined a newbie and an advanced group in Bu Tais for easy practice side slopping in the beautiful Bu-Tais.
After meeting with all of the other groups at the Bu Tais entrance our group headed off to Bu-Tais for a little dune bashing and some mild side sloping.

The convoy order was:
Sai77
Mihir6606
Asif Padela
JoUAE2018
Geoff101
Tony007
Mytommi
Matts
Bisharbn
Mohamad
Isham

Sai, Isham and Tony supported, and the support was much appreciated. The trip was an easy one as it was my first intermediate lead as a Marshal and I wanted to make sure that I had a good feel of the skill level of the drivers. Everyone did really well and reacted correctly by going with gravity if their vehicle was losing power during a side slope.

We had 3 vehicles stuck on a crest at once, two of them Marshals :) So there were 3 opportunities to for recovery there. At the end of the trip Sai's jeep blew his lower coolant hose !! So after some struggling to get him out of the dunes, I took a convoy of the drivers out to the subqua where we ran into Bisho who graciously took the convoy over so I could go back in and assist with the recovery.

Asif, Tony, Isham, Mohammad and I all assisted in the recovery of Sai's jeep. Asif took on the lead role with his 6.2l raptor towing the jeep as far as we could go. We winched the jeep through spots, ran it for short distances, and towed it the rest. Crossing some dunes on the gatch road the snatch line was overstressed and the soft shackle failed. The snatch room slingshoted into the back of Asifs truck and left a dent in the tailgate and broke the middle rear windshield. Asif was a good sport about it, and I hope he can fix it easily. In the end we were able to tow Sai's jeep to the main road for easy recovery.

Thanks everyone for coming and much appreciation to those who supported me on this drive.

Mytommi
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Sideslopping in Bu-Tais 13 March

Post by Mytommi »

Thanks for the lead Kevin, glad to hear that Sai‘s Jeep is ok again. Hope also that Asif has not to suffer to much.
Thomas

JoUAE2018
Advanced
Advanced

Post by JoUAE2018 »

Thank you Kevin for a lovely drive. The orange shirt suits you. You looked out for all of us and made sure we were safe, as well as allowing us time to get to know our skills and cars.

You handled a tricky situation very well. Glad to know we are in capable hands when we go to the desert.

See you next time.

asif padela
Marshal
Marshal

Post by asif padela »

It was a really good trip, nice and easy intermediate drive. Thanks for setting it up Kevin. Sai, Mohamad, and Isham and I learned a lot about recovery techniques from Marshal Tony and Kevin :). Tony took some videos, looking forward to seeing that. After the soft shackle snapped and dinged up the truck Marshall Kevin pulled the Jeep out with the FJ. (Man the Jeepers will never hear the end of it!) Sai, took care of the repairs thanks buddy! See you all in the sand in the future.

Tony007
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Tony007 »

Thanks Kevin for a lovely day out. Was glad to support for your first intermediate lead. Glad we were all able to work together to get thur the situation we had to deal with and got everyone out safely. Everyone drove really well and the track selection was perfect. Glad to hear that Sai's jeep got fixed quickly. I also hope the back window on the Raptor is repaired in a timely manner. See you all back in the sand again soon.

Regards,
Tony

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anthony B. Allen
+971501628354
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU