Sunday Morning Intermediates at Sweihan

All reports about trips and events
Kayra
Marshal
Marshal

Sunday Morning Intermediates at Sweihan

Post by Kayra »

We gathered at Sweihan Gate 12 around 06:40 and after the safety briefing started driving at 07:00. We had 6 cancellations and one no-show. Although the no-show called me saying he was on the way, I couldn’t make rest of the group wait for an additional half an hour. Hence, I told him that we won’t be able to wait. We applied the following convoy order:

Engin Lead
Nanda (Advance) second lead
Firoz (Intermediate)
John (Intermediate)
Tomasz(Intermediate)
Moustapha (Intermediate)
Bassam (Advance)
Asif (Explorer) as sweeper
Marshals Hadi and Kevin were floating supports on the sides of the convoy

We started off by playing around in the high dunes of Sweihan, nearby the gate. This was the second intermediate drive of Firoz so I tried to set the pace according to his level. We tried to control our vehicles in the side slopes by avoiding drifting. After the first break and feedback from the fellow drivers and Marshals, we continued with slightly increased speed and did roller coasters in the parallel dunes in the Nagra direction.

At some point, Kevin got stuck on top of a dune and Asif demonstrated an advanced snatch recovery by pulling Kevin out of his position.

Around 8:30 we took a break at the shade of a tree, where the experienced drivers of Sweihan reminded me that we will not be able to make it to Nagra at this pace. So we jointly decided to continue playing around where we were and complete the drive without going to Nagra.

At the last sector, John had a pop out. He drove his vehicle to flat surface and the intermediate drivers fixed the pop out together.

Today, being the third day off a long weekend, Sweihan was filled with tire tracks from a busy weekend almost looking similar to Badayer. We started heading back to the BBQ Point at 09:30 and we ended our drive there.

My aim with this drive was to navigate Sweihan while leading a convoy and help the intermediate drivers to gain the necessary skills to control their vehicles safely on side slopes. The drive also helped me to continue adapting my driving style to my new car.

I would like to thank Marshals Hadi and Kevin and explorer Asif for looking after us during this drive. Nanda did very well as my second lead. In a number of occasions, he adjusted the course to safer alternatives without me alerting him. Our second Advance driver Bassam at the back demonstrated very good control office his Jimny.

All intermediate drivers in the middle of the convoy did well from start to finish. We had very few second tries and few self-recoveries.

That’s it from my side, I will appreciate any comments from the fellow drivers.

I hope to see you again in another drive soon.
Engin
LC71

Hadi77
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Sunday Morning Intermediates at Sweihan

Post by Hadi77 »

For your first lead in Sweihan, it was spectacular… you demonstrated how to side slope perfectly while challenging the drivers a little. The intermediate drivers done well in turning down when needed. Rule of nature, don’t fight gravity.

Thank you Engin for a lovely morning drive, enjoyed following your tracks. Was nice seeing how each car reacts to the pace and flow of the drive. Nanda & Bassam, well done and keep it up.

Asif & Kevin, was nice driving with you and thanks for the company.

See you on the sand!
‘If you don’t have the mentality to learn every time you step foot into the desert, it could become a dangerous place’ - Hadz

YOUNGEST MARSHAL IN AD4x4

Hadz

Bassamoreo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Bassamoreo »

Thank you Engin for the wonderful morning spent navigating the Swaihan dunes.

The track was wonderful and the constant hints and tips along the way over the radio were super helpful in gaining further insights on tackling the dunes.

Asif, Kevin, Hadi thank you for keeping a watchful eyes on us.

Looking forward to seeing all soon

varriernanda
Advanced
Advanced

Post by varriernanda »

Thanks Engin for the wonderful morning trip.

petro
Marshal
Marshal

Post by petro »

Engin did a great job leading the group yesterday. He was very engaged in coaching the riders in his group and focusing on the drivers learning proper driving techniques for the desert.

Benn1969
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Benn1969 »

Really nice drive, thank you Engin and the other club Marshals. I really like the clubs approach in making sure the drives are safe for all the convoy skill levels, whilst keeping it really enjoyable. Thanks for the support with the pop out, I will be changing the stock JL tyres soon!!