Sweihan Afternoon Newbie

All reports about trips and events
SandSailor
Marshal
Marshal

Sweihan Afternoon Newbie

Post by SandSailor »

We met at Sweihan BBQ point on time during this rainy and busy offroading day. There were multiple groups including a few of our own AD4x4, enjoying the cloudy weather as well as the wet sands of Sweihan thanks to the noon shower. We had one no-show hence 5 cars in total. After the detailed briefing and setting the convoy order, we hit the Sweihan dunes on time…

Convoy order:

SandSailor (Lead)
WaqasAfridi (2nd Lead - Newbie)
Bigmack (Intermediate)
Rizkallah (Sweeper - Newbie)
Kayra (Marshal Support)

Marshal Engin had to do a detour at the start so I had Waqas as my second lead, an experienced offroader but new to AD4x4 (welcome again) and Rizkallah as sweeper (no flag, lets pls get it done until next week as discussed) so Steve picked the 3rd spot. We roamed around the dunes with straight cresting and side slopings until the gatch. The warm up was smooth with no stucks and just one 2nd try as I had the pleasure of having a small but very capable team. The wet sand gave good opportunities to the drivers to test their cars and adjust the power they need. By no means their job was easier as the soft sands of Sweihan lurking under the wet layer also created tricky passes at times as expected, especially for the cars at the end of the convoy.

After the gatch Marshal Engin joined, but as all drivers were comfortable with their roles we kept the order and shot for the bigger dunes and slopes also practicing steeper descends and slip faces. Came across Marshal Adiga with the other AD4x4 convoy and then headed for Nagrah. A nice break with fresh coffee thanks to Waqas, chit chat among ourselves and with other drivers from other convoys giving break and then we headed for exit with a few more plays, as planned on time.

Overall an uneventful trip with a few 2nd tries but no stucks. Sometimes slow and technical, sometimes much faster but with good flow. All drivers were very capable for the level -which frankly at times could have been a bit challenging- Waqas getting used to his LC71 but showing his experience also with picking the right path a couple of times as 2nd lead, Steve dusting off his rust and managing his Ram Rebel beautifully in some tricky and technical patches, Rizkallah getting more familiar with his LCs capabilities and power every new drive although at times he pushed a tad more than required. Lots of technical chats on conditions and cars’ responses during breaks and also practicing whats expected from that terrain, which were also educational.

I hope all drivers enjoyed as much as I did, and special thanks to Marshal Engin for making it happen for all.

Hope to see u soon again on another episode of SandSailing…

Emre (🏜️⚓️)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SandSailor
056 312 2200
Wrangler JKU

Kayra
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Sweihan Afternoon Newbie

Post by Kayra »

Thank you Emre for the very informative and fulfilling drive yesterday. I think the fellow drivers enjoyed the drive as much as I did. We had useful discussions on driving skills and vehicle modifications.

I am always ready to support your drives.
Engin
LC71

Rizkallah
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Sweihan Afternoon Newbie

Post by Rizkallah »

Hi guys, thank you again for including this as a club drive. Impressive first sweihan trip for me. Combined application of technical skills, sweeper, and weather conditions to yet an increased learning curve.