Liwa 30/12/23 min 8 int trips (optional camping 29th)

All reports about trips and events
Dirtdiver
Explorer
Explorer

Liwa 30/12/23 min 8 int trips (optional camping 29th)

Post by Dirtdiver »

Thanks, Michael, for organizing this wonderful adventure.

We started the trip with optional camping where five of us was scheduled to camp Friday night with the last two joining Saturday morning. All Five made it to Liwa but unfraternally one vehicle broke in Liwa village and never made to the dunes. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner and fellowship around the fire. We woke up the next morning to a blanket of heavy fog which didn't lift until after 10am. Once safe Michal went to the meeting point and led the two additional drivers from the meeting point back to camp. We packed up camp while waiting on the weather to clear up for a safe drive. Meanwhile Marshal Mustafa Joined us for the trip. Michal conducted a detailed briefing describing how Liwa was different from the other locations we were accustomed to driving in.
Convoy
Michael***** JK (Lead/Support)
Sunil*** TJ (2nd lead)
Volodymyr** $runner
EDU** JL Rubicon
Iyad** Raptor (sweeper)
Tim**** 4runner (support/part lead)
Mustafa***** (Support)

Michal led the convoy into a technical area of the dunes to warm us up and evaluate everyone's driving.
All drivers were doing well until we arrived at bigger dunes and softer sand. The drivers started having multiple attempts to negotiate the obstacles and even a few recoveries. Our original goal was to reach the Saudi border and then return to the festival however, with the fog causing a delay starting and the soft sands being so challenging Michale decided to turn the convoy around and head back towards the festival. Michael asked me to lead us back to Moreeb Dune. The return trip was like the trip out with second and third attempts. We Crested the final crest Across from Moreeb dune around 330pm. All drivers and vehicles made it out of the Dunes safely. Marshal Mustafa led the convoy back to his camp for food and refreshments.

Thanks, Marshal Michal, for a wonderful trip, Thanks Marshal Mustafa for all the support and guidance during this trip. Thanks everyone for coming out and making the day memorable.

Hope to see everyone back in the sand soon.

Tim

EmDoc
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Liwa 30/12/23 min 8 int trips (optional camping 29th)

Post by EmDoc »

A great time at the Liwa Festival plus a very pleasurable drive into the Liwa dunes to introduce our intermediate drivers to the special conditions of the region.

Well done to all for showing the right attitude and respect to the often difficult terrain. Thanks Tim for your first part lead in Liwa. It was a very nice track. And of course big thanks to Mustafa for joining and offering marvellous support as it was needed.

A good outing, and definitely something to be repeated.

Till next time

edumarcato
Advanced
Advanced

Post by edumarcato »

It has been an awesome drive, thanks Michael & Tim and Mustafa for organising and looking after us. The trip had everything: stunning views, great chat, camaraderie and a very technical drive on varying sand conditions with challenging obstacles, which I felt we all crossed safely.

Valuable experience very different from what I had come across so far in my 20 trips with the club. I’m looking forwards to the next one.

Happy 2024 gentlemen!

MustafaHabash
Marshal
Marshal

Post by MustafaHabash »

Thank you Micheal and Tim for a wonderful 2023 farewell trip in Liwa. Looking forward to more of this in 2024.

See you guys soon.

Mustafa
Black Mamba

vpuiul
Advanced
Advanced

Post by vpuiul »

Thank you Michael, Tim and Mustafa for the Liwa introduction for me. I like the beautiful views there. However driving in the Liwa, is challenging, for me, especially because sand is softer and slopes is significantly longer. I need to improve my skills to drive in Liwa more confident (I'm working on this :) ).
Also it will be good to visit this place out of "Liwa Festival" timing (too crowded, especially in camping area).
Happy New Year
See you soon.

snaware
Advanced
Advanced

Post by snaware »

Thanks Michael and Tim for organizing the Liwa trip.
Thanks Mustafa, for great support and guidance to entire team.
It was a wonderful drive with lot of technical area, Liwa is really different & unpredictable.
Nice group of people, looking forward for the next trip.
Happy new year to all.