Adv Nahil 30 DEC 2023

All reports about trips and events
Redbeard
Explorer
Explorer

Adv Nahil 30 DEC 2023

Post by Redbeard »

The last advance drive of 2023!

We met up a little way down the gatch in Nahil, total of 8 cars. Meeting time was 2 PM.
Adam made the mistake of mentioning that he had been on the drive in Nahil where Toni had lost his Gopro, which lead to the famous Toni Jones: and the Raiders of the Lost GoPro trip hosted by Osama and myself, where we managed to recover the Gopro with a metal detector. We decided since Adam had been on the trip where the camera was lost, he must surely be an expert in the area, so he was the obvious choice for our second lead.

A few late arrivals, so we departed around 2:30 PM from deflation.

Convoy: (I forget the specific order, but something like this)
Mikkel
Adam (Second lead)
Mohammed Ameen
Alaa
Farhan
Tareq
Davorin
Umar (Sweeper)

We started out on the West side of the gatch, and discovered that the area was quite covered in tracks and was generally much less smooth than it had been just 3 weeks ago when I was last in Nahil. We headed towards the far west, playing in the smaller dunes that had fewer tracks, I managed to get stuck on a crest here but was expertly recovered by Adam. We headed back East toward the bigger dunes, finding a very nice set of dunes where we could do an excellent sequence of switches/side crests that was just the right level of fun for our group and was a very enjoyable experience. As we were doing this sequence for the third and last time, one car lost the track and it took us a little time to get the convoy together again.

Around 4 PM we crossed by the gatch cutting through Nahil, so Umar could depart early and make it to his family BBQ. Mohammed decided to leave the convoy at this time as well, as his passengers were feeling carsick.
Davorin took over as sweeper and we continued with a now reduced convoy of 6 cars on the East side of the gatch. There were some nice dune formations here but unfortunately the area was quite badly destroyed by tracks, so this limited our options a bit. We had one more stuck here, where the bushes made it a bit difficult to get into a good position for recovery.
We made our way back to inflation arriving on the asphalt just past 5 PM.

Thank you to all the drivers for making it an enjoyable afternoon.
Special thanks to Adam for excellent second lead, and Umar and Davorin for competent sweeping with good communication.

Video by Umar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18LxFwKU22Q (I recommend especially last section from 2m15s :D )
Gaia track:Image

Eagle
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Adv Nahil 30 DEC 2023

Post by Eagle »

Thank you Mikkel it was a fun roller coaster ride really enjoyed the track especially the big dune. Our second go pro in the car captured all the fun about facial expressions of my passenger๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚which I didn't notice at all during the drive๐Ÿ˜‚. See you soon on sand!!

Ruttan
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Adv Nahil 30 DEC 2023

Post by Ruttan »

The tracks were present, it's hard to find an area close to the cities without them these days, but Mikkel did a great job of finding several nice runs despite the conditions. My first drive with you and it was an absolute pleasure. I'm the first to admit that my complete and absolute knowledge of every grain of sand in the area did not factor into a fantastic drive.

Looking forward to the next one!