Sand Museum trip - Report

All reports about trips and events
Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Sand Museum trip - Report

Post by Viking »

I was a bit afraid that the trip had to be cancelled since they warned on the radio for sandstorms but we decided to meet and decide there. 10 cars met and we had a short briefing before we started our journey towards the car museum area. Tom managed to be on the wrong point so we decided to pick him up on the way. We had a few phone contacts and he was supposed to catch up with us. What happened was that he was just behind us when we turned off and we could see him head towards Tarif instead of following us. Several phonecalls and radiocalls (no reply) and he still moved south :-) He didnt just head towards Tarif - He went there before he came back.
The rest of us deflated, had a briefing which also included ANIT parts as this was Fox first trip. We started easy and moved further into the Car Museum area. We had a few stucks and some small challenges. Stefan was nice enough to create an intentional stuck in a strategic position which we used as an instructional recovery. Well done Stefan.
Finally we realized that it was time for a break with sandwiches and drinks so we used the sabkha to move deeper towards the higher dunes. After we went into the dunes Fox and his Porsche got stuck and he was unable to get the R gear in place. N and D was OK but not R :cry:
Nessie pulled th car backwards a couple of times until we realized that we should have the break there and see if the poor Cayenne Turbo would repair itself by resting the clutch/torque converter (thanks Tom) so we all sat down for a while. Meanwhile Tom had finally made it to the sand after a 300 km of drive from Abu Dhabi to Car museum area 8O
Just by Tom getting there the Cayenne realized that it was no idea to argue with him so it started to work again :-)
We continued for a while until we found a nice playarea where a few of us had the chance to have a little fun and have some passengers enjoy.
After this we went to the sabkha again and followed it back to the mainroad and towards the Car museum. As I was the first car I turned into the gate and by the sound I realized that my flagpole was now an ex-flagpole :-)
We inflated and had a short debriefing before all went back to Abu Dhabi.
As usual all did very well and I hope you enjoyed the route and the area.
Thanks to Nessie for sweeping and Recovery until Tom arrived.
9Ball for great 2nd lead and Tom for all the hints and tricks you share. I also think you had the stuck of the day Tom :lol:
The rest of you - You all did well, I enjoyed your company and hope to see you all soon again.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Thanks again Viking for another great trip. Really enjoyed the play area, looks like a big ringolo on my GPS! hehehe Thank you for the opportunity to be sweeper between the Adnoc and the deflation point, then 2nd lead, really enjoyed myself. And thank you and Tom for all the great tips, I learn something on every trip and always look foward to the next one.

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Few pictures I liked. Took a lot more. How do I put pictures on the Gallery by the way?

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Album is created, you can start uploading the pictures there 9ball
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Nessie
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nessie »

Thank you Viking for another enjoyable trip. Great people , great desert, great weather, great lead...what more can a girl ask for??

:D :D

C u soon

sunil

Post by sunil »

Thank you Viking for a nice trip and keeping it suitable for kids. Girls enjoyed it very much and they were not willing to come back home.
I got stuck a couple of times but luckily was able to self recover by reversing. Side sloping was also exciting and girls were egging me on to go higher and higher. I enjoyed a few extra rounds of sidesloping as a cameraman with 9ball.

Finally, thanks Viking for lending me compressor. Overall very enjoyable trip for all of us with a great company. I have a few photos that I will try to upload.

Sunil

braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Great Fun

Post by braveheart »

Viking and all,

Thanks for a great trip, it's my first time with AD4x4 familly, and hopefully not the last :P

Fox my friend I've sent the photos of the Porsche being saved by the FJ to Germany :lol:

Hope to see you again, great team, very well coordinated

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Hey Braveheart, don't forget that I have a Cayyene too ... so take care ... Once day you will get stuck and call me for help :lol: :lol:
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

maddog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by maddog »

Hey Nessie, I see you decided to leave the OllllllO at home and take the FJ on this one. How did it go, you experimenting or a permanent thing?

I see you picked up a another star on your travels too - go girl!
Citius, Altius, Fortius - Swifter, Higher, Stronger
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
maddog@ad4x4.com

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Still Fake Jeep Maddog u cannot change her mind, its easy area thats why she get the fake J33P to let it practice some of the real work done by real J33Ps :lol:

Nessie Congrats for the S***S well deserved
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Tom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tom »

Nessie:

Thanks for the recovery. If a Defender has to be pulled out by something it should be an FJ.

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

TOM r u kiidden here its F J33P, thats what we do gett u out of the stucks guys heheheheee :lol:
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Nessie
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nessie »

Maddog,

The FJ was a great experience man...... She glides over everything and has the power to "recover" with ease. An absolute pleasure to drive both on and off road and giving me a different driving experience to a manual Jeep. …

However, I am still a Jeep girl …its in my blood man….. :D

Having said that, I would still love to take the FJ out more, BUT…..she does not belong to me and I only get the keys from Marty ....( with lots and lots of persuasion I might add) when my baby is in the shop.

Thank you for the congrats on my upgrade guys......

Looking forward to seeing you all soon….either with “ FJ”..or ..”TJ” …4x4 family, desert, great company……what more does a girl need??

Gerry
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Gerry »

Thanks Viking for a great trip and the encouragement during "play time"; had my first dune sideslidding with the Jeep. Thanks also to 9Ball for the "low&3rd gear" tip to keep momentum. Learned alot about Recovery, watching Tom get himself out of a deep hole (with a little help from his friends). Everyone had a good time, Yalla Baby! :lol: Thanks again

braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Respect to FJ

Post by braveheart »

Bulldozer wrote:Still Fake Jeep Maddog u cannot change her mind, its easy area thats why she get the fake J33P to let it practice some of the real work done by real J33Ps :lol:

Nessie Congrats for the S***S well deserved
Come on Bulldozer :roll: you can't but to respect the FJ ...

By the way, what does TJ stands for ? :?: