Vikings favourite 2 - Report

All reports about trips and events
Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Vikings favourite 2 - Report

Post by Viking »

No we didnt reach our destination this time either :evil:
All met up at Adnoc and we headed off towards Sweihan and the deflationpoint. For this trip I had a prize for the best stuck which would be given out after the trip. After briefing we hit the sand which was still wet and firm. We tried do find some tricky spots anyway and I think we did. Sidesloping was very different in the clay-like sand and during one sideslope the undisputable winner of the prize was found. Yaser managed to end up in a bowl with a double pop-out so it took us almost an hour to get him out and fix the tires. We were late according to our schedule so we was about to have a short lunch break before we crossed the 2nd sabkha. Unfortunately we didnt get there until Heinz car broke. The wheel that drives the belts fell off !!!! and there were no cooling etc. After a short break he drove his car over the crest, stopped the engine and used gravity as far as possible. Pierre hooked up him behind the FJ and then we managed to tow him down to the sabkha and back to Sweihan gas station where the recovery truck could pick him up.
Nessie and Shakey decided to move back while the rest of us joined up with Mike and the ANIT and enjoyed the rest of the day in the inner parts of Sweihan.
I think we all enjoyed the trip and I think you all did well. JC and I shared the lead (and the playing around) and delibrately let you manage the stucks. I hope it was a useful and funny trip and that you will sign up on the next atteempt to reach Al Khatim.
We are not giving up 8)
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Despite the fact that we did not reach our goal, I have reached mines which was to have a great time, lot's of fun and learn a lot of stuff again. It was a very instructional day in terms of how to deal with major recoveries, I got to do a lot of recoveries ( getting better at it ! ) and the scenerie in sheihan was spectacular, some of the best dune pictures I have ever taken, amazing views from the top of the biggest dunes. And the short night drive on the way back was also a good practice ( except that part where JC pulled me and for some unknown reason my brakes did not work on the way down the dune, scary moment! ). So thank you again for another great day, and count me in on the next Sheihan- Al Khatim sequel.

Nessie
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nessie »

Ok, so we did not get to the finish line again…but on the bright side, we get the chance to try it all over again!

:evil:

Thanks Eric for an enjoyable trip, looking out for Vikings Favourite Part 3..

Shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Shakey »

Viking

we may not have met our objective but I learnt a lot with the pop outs and the chance to have my first go at sweeping which was a great fun in those sand conditions. I'n definitely up for the next attempt.

thanks for a great day

Shakey

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

doh! :roll:

BIG THANKS to VIKING and JC for getting me out the sand.
BIG THANKS to PIERRE for towing me to the Adnoc in Sweihan.
And a BIG THNANKS to all the members in the trip for being so understanding!!!

Really enjoyed the day, with a nice group of members! And well at least we gave it a good try... Sorry VIKING, I know you put a lot of effort in planning a nice trip :okaay: ... but you know what they say... third time is the charm!

P.S. 1: apparently the recovery truck knows another place called "Sweihan" ... so if you need recovery from the Sweihan petrol station be sure to explain that your are nearer to Al Ain ... and not at the petrol station near the military compound ... saves time :roll:

P.S. 2 : the Jeep should be fine... the pulley on the crankshaft needs to be replaced since the rubber just gave up... :oops:

Pierre
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pierre »

First of all I slept very well :verysleepy: last night, after a full day of fun :yeppe: .

This trip was great and the thrill of proving that the earth is continuous from Sweihan to Al Khatim is still on ! Viking, I am on to follow you to verify that in the future!

It was not a good day for technology: Heinz damper pulley has decided to give up after years of good service, my camera objective moves with a crispy noise and stopped moving when the crisp became too loud, and my compressor gave up after 2.5 wheels were inflated....

I learned so much in part 1 and 2 of the trip.... but I have also the feeling that if the sand would have been dry.... I would have got stuck much more....

A big thank you for our 2 marshals of the days Viking and JC who lead us through some technical challenges providing extremely valuable guidance. :ann: Thanks to all other trips members, that was a very nice group.

Heinz, I hope that the Jeep will not be too expensive to fix , and even if it is a rubber part that betrayed you, even if JC was advising for the replacement of all rubber part by metal, keep using it. There are some key functions were rubber is a prime choice: tires is one (even JC uses rubber tires :lol: ), pulley-damper is an other one!

As soon as the gallery is created, I will upload some pictures (including the evidences used by the jury to give the price of the best stuck of the day)

9ball wrote: the scenerie in sheihan was spectacular, some of the best dune pictures I have ever taken, amazing views from the top of the biggest dunes.
9Ball, you took nice pictures, don't forget to share them on the gallery....

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

9Ball, you took nice pictures, don't forget to share them on the gallery....[/quote]

Don't worry, as soon as I have a few minutes I will. Got a few clips of you dune sliding too. Will try to put on youtube, but I have had a hard time up-loading clips lately.

Pierre
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pierre »

Great: me dune sliding, I never saw that from outside until now!

For the last month, following an internet cable failure around Egypt, bandwidth to UAE was limited so high bandwidth consumer like Youtube have been restricted. But now it seems to be back to normal.

Pierre
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pierre »

Picture upload in gallery completed.

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Nice pictures Pierre! Thanks

Except for the one where i'm preparing to execute a perfect self recovery :roll: and the one where i'm holding metal parts that should be attached to my Jeep :roll:

lol :D

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

I was glad to hear that everything went fine after the recovery truck found you that means :-)
I also hope your car will recover soon so we will be allowed to break it again on the next attempt to reach Al Khatim as I assume you will be part of :twisted:
// Eric The Viking

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

I hope so :twisted: ... err not the breaking ... but the joining :wink:

I got the pulley replaced at EXTREME workshop. He really does a great job of helping AD4x4 members out! :okaay:

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Trying to upload pictures, but the ''add pictures '' option does not appear in the gallery. Ho well, some of them had Pierre dune sliding, but am sure he does not want to see them anyway, he hates dune sliding. hehehe

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

9ball wrote:Trying to upload pictures, but the ''add pictures '' option does not appear in the gallery. Ho well, some of them had Pierre dune sliding, but am sure he does not want to see them anyway, he hates dune sliding. hehehe
I am not sure, but are logged into the gallery, if not the button will not show. Using XP you can also use the upload to the web feature if you installed the script on the website.

Mike

BTW my dear, you missed a lot of fun and excitement yesterday :wink:
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

heinz wrote:I hope so :twisted: ... err not the breaking ... but the joining :wink:
Well lets hope we will reach there some day without mishappenings :-)
// Eric The Viking