Manual or Auto Transmission

All discussions related to your non-4x4. Mods, Maintenance, events, drag etc
WildFire

Post by WildFire »

First of all welcome to AD4x4 family Vintro

Why an automatic transmission wont survive ? I think it depends on the driver.
I think that driving on sand is defferent than Rock Crowling And Mud driving therefore, what you need on each one is different.

It is good to have some one from New Zealand with us ... I like the idea of crossing lakes with a JEEP which ( i saw it on youtube.com ) that is realy good stuff .... See you in October.
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

Vintro

Post by Vintro »

Cheers... I can't wait to get over there!

But... the control of revs and thus toque is crucial when determining the amount of power transfered to the wheels to get out of sticky situations, and it's near on impossible to achieve this sort of control in an automatic.

Plus, if you are pushing the truck hard and your automatic gear box fails, your buggered. But in a manual, if a gear shatters, you can normally/sometimes limp home on another gear.

Plus, the repair costs on fixing anything to do with a manual gear box are significantly lower than an auto if any thing goes wrong. If something goes wrong with an auto, it normally means having to replace the whole gear box at probably %25 the cost of the truck.

Significantly, a manual transmission consumes more of the usable horsepower from the motor compared to an Auto - which means you can have more fun and drive on more challenging tracks - Although an auto gives a smooth ride and is great around town, it doesn't utilize the whole potential of the motors power, because they are computer controlled for efficiency rather than having a hell of a lot of fun. Auto's are for a driver who would rather look at the scenery than drive.

I'm sure you can have some fun in an Auto driving on the sand, but with in a very short time frame your 4x4 driving ability will extend significantly and you will wish you had a manual basically so you have all the engines power at your finger tips.

So my advice, if your starting out in 4x4, get a manual. Anyway, thats what I think.

Bradley
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Bradley »

Vintro wrote:Cheers... I can't wait to get over there!

But... the control of revs and thus toque is crucial when determining the amount of power transfered to the wheels to get out of sticky situations, and it's near on impossible to achieve this sort of control in an automatic.

Plus, if you are pushing the truck hard and your automatic gear box fails, your buggered. But in a manual, if a gear shatters, you can normally/sometimes limp home on another gear.

Plus, the repair costs on fixing anything to do with a manual gear box are significantly lower than an auto if any thing goes wrong. If something goes wrong with an auto, it normally means having to replace the whole gear box at probably %25 the cost of the truck.

Significantly, a manual transmission consumes more of the usable horsepower from the motor compared to an Auto - which means you can have more fun and drive on more challenging tracks - Although an auto gives a smooth ride and is great around town, it doesn't utilize the whole potential of the motors power, because they are computer controlled for efficiency rather than having a hell of a lot of fun. Auto's are for a driver who would rather look at the scenery than drive.

I'm sure you can have some fun in an Auto driving on the sand, but with in a very short time frame your 4x4 driving ability will extend significantly and you will wish you had a manual basically so you have all the engines power at your finger tips.

So my advice, if your starting out in 4x4, get a manual. Anyway, thats what I think.
Welcome to the club.

Come on over and try a auto. You will be supprised. :)
Bradley
Liberty - ARB Lift kit, MT mags & 32" Tyres

sniper

Post by sniper »

been driving manual for years. your right you will get the balance of torque and power in your engine from that. but matic is different you can have it defending on the acceleration you put on your pedal. anyway as i observed.
Jeep KJ OME lift kit, mopar cat back, mopar cold air intake,BFG A/T<br>Jeep ZJ OME lift kit, K&N filter, Daytona Rim, BFG A/T 31", Garmi 276C<br><br>"My jeep is not an SUV....Your SUV is not a Jeep"

halwa

Post by halwa »

It all depends on the R/H foot, but at least with manual u have a chiose and plenty of fun :hit:

PRADA
Intermediate
Intermediate

Manual or Auto

Post by PRADA »

I always had a manual. I don't know what means auto!!
in my country we learn on manual, and that's it. Seriously automatic u don't find! that's why i am so surprised here...

PRADA

:cheers1: :cheers1:

Avan

Post by Avan »

I agree with the verdic for a manual. But for the guy just starting out in desert driving the Auto gives the driver a chance to learn the basic of sand control without the added pressure of "what gear am i in?" or "what gear do i need to change down to to tackle this obstical?"

Any way where I come from Automatics are used by the handicaped and little old ladies
Land Rover: if you cant fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

I have tried BOTH Auto is Relaxing onroad, Offroad its not bad but it has the control not u, Manual u have the power when u want it the way way u want it & allot of FUN :wink:
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded