Manual or Auto Transmission

All discussions related to your non-4x4. Mods, Maintenance, events, drag etc
Mustang

Manual or Auto Transmission

Post by Mustang »

Hi Guys!
This might be repeat!
Just your thoughts! Which is better? Why do u think so?

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Well, If we are talking about city car, the Auto. ofcourse is recommended.

Desert driving, The manual is the best. Sometimes, you need to push the car on one gear in order to climb a dune without forcing the car to change to the next gear .. I love the manual in the desert.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Cuty driving of course but different opion depends of what aouto you are getting. There are tripronic or simi-tripronic(Gate) that you can change or shift as the same as manual. Even older auto, you can shift all the way down to fist gear.

I honestly think it fun to change gears manualy but again you tend to forget what gear you are on and before you know it.....you are parked.

So i prefer Auto-semi triptronic. :driving:
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

I like the Auto in desert more than the Manual. I drove now both in desert and i think the Automatic deliveres rapidly more power if you need it.

With Manual you have to shift - which could be the wrong gear when you are under stress. So you must also concentrate on shifting.

And with Manual you always have to take one hand away from the steering wheel.
Image <br><br>Image<br>

WildFire

Post by WildFire »

It depends on you , what you like and who you will use the car...
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

I am sure that a good, experienced driver gets more out of a manual in the desert and will do stunts a automatic will never be able to.....

Yeah, I am driving automatic.... :wink:

:hat:
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Bradley
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Bradley »

I have never tried manual in the desert, but have no problems with auto.
Bradley
Liberty - ARB Lift kit, MT mags & 32" Tyres

TheNig
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by TheNig »

In a low slung car with a couple of ton of horsepower, definitely the manual. Other than that, I'm a lazy git and prefer the automatic. The tiptonic is good and is what I tend to use in the desert. Have read many articles stating that Icelanders, who do some of the most extreme offroading, generally prefer autos on the ice for the lack of loss of traction during gear change.
Nissan Patrol 4.8, OME 2" Lift, Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 33x12.5 Tyres, ARB Roof Rack, Safari Snorkel, K&N Air Filter, Garmin 276c, IPF Lights (Lots) - sometimes for me to see where I'm going, mostly to tell others I'm coming!!

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

i am in love with auto in the desert. 8)
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

adiga
Deputy Chairman & Co founder
Deputy Chairman & Co founder

Post by adiga »

Small engines , manual is better. Image for the big engines , I prefer Auto. Image

There is a problem here for the new auto transmissions, Image it's computerized and it will not obey your order when you need low ratio! Image even with the tiptronic, you can't give the proper gear! Yes, you can keep the gear at 1st, 2nd..etc... But you can't shift down when you need low ratio.

So, as Mr. Jo said: Expertise prefer the MANUAL :wink:

Imagine you have V8 Manual 8O Image
“Do for this life as if you live forever,
do for the afterlife as if you die tomorrow”

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

The only advantage i see for the Manual is when you need to climb big dune on low gear it will be better than the automatic, so auto will be much better and easier for driving, thats my openion.
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

kerMitt

Re: Manual or Auto Transmission

Post by kerMitt »

Mustang wrote:Hi Guys!
This might be repeat!
Just your thoughts! Which is better? Why do u think so?
hii

it really depends on the car engine a big engine or a small 1 e.g a wrangler cud go with auto with no problems well as for land cruser no offence guys but it suks in auto gear in the desert i drove both in the desert and thrs a big diffrence.
as for the better of course the manual is better coz in maual u control the car nt the oposite :D :D :D :D

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

Well
as the chairman said for city use Auto is the best , but if you wanna more fun in deseert and racing on street then manual , you can do anything in a manual gear you control the car :D:D:D i love it , and as dj said some cars on offroad doesnt differ alot if it is Auto or manual but other differ and i support him .

But my opnion is offroad manual , its more fun you feel you are driving and if you are used to shifting then it is not a problem . while for cruising i prefer Auto :lol: ...
i like both :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:iguana1:
Zee Godzilla
15 Nissan SWB Fully modified & Ready

Its my way or the high way :D

Batal
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Batal »

I drove both Auto and manual transmission cars in the desert, after having experience on both, I personally prefer the manual ones cause you can choose the desired speed at any time that track may requires.

In addition to this it’s more fun to change gears during desert drive especially when climbing dunes, you can really feel the power out of your car.

Vintro

Post by Vintro »

I'm stunned! How can you go 4x4 driving in anything other than a manual? The reasons for having a manual when it comes to "real" 4x4 driving are endless. To suggest anything else is misleading.

An automatic urban tractor would last 5 seconds 4x4ing in New Zealand, thats why they are not allowed 4x4 in most places.

:D But, then again I don't know a lot about driving on sand dunes like you guys, is it really that easy that you can get away with using an automatic transmission. If it is, then it's a push to call it 4x4 driving :wink:

I suppose I will find out in October, when I come over and give it a go there.