FAQ Garmin 276C and GPS querries

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

This Topic is dedicated for any questions related the Garmin 276C setting and how to use it, and more generally about GPS usage...

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO DISCUSS WHICH GPS IS THE BEST... we all agree that for our purpose, we all go for the 276c...

and to start, i'll quote Master Bulldozer:
Guys & Gals to eliminate any future confusion about the way point in your GPS specially when u get a meeting way point make sure your GPS setting is correct as below which will be standard for the whole club members:
Go to Setup > Location > Map Datum: WGS 84 ,
Location format: hddd'mm.mmm' & Heading: TRUE
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Re: FAQ Garmin 276C and GPS querries

Post by DoPushUps »

Question: what is the thought process on using True north? It is least widely utilized north. It won't be the same north as on a map or compass. Magnetic North is what is used for navigating while in motion or directing others.

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

I think by ''true-North" you are capturing most of the satellite orbiting the earth.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Fox »

For capturing the most possible satellites and thereby optimizing the accuracy of GPS measurement,
you must have the GPS receiver "seeing" as much as possible of the sky. You should be as much as
possible free standing and away from any above ground structures which may shield or reflect the
radio waves coming from the satellites. This is independent from North (true north, magenetic north).

True North and magnetic North are different because the magentic north pole is not in the same
location as the geographical (true) North which is used in maps.
A magnetic compass compared with a map will therefore always have a discrepancy in the direction.

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

Its a bit more confusing than that. There are 3 norths: Magnetic, true, and Map. Generally navigation is done with magnetic north, because most devices that you use to measure angular direction use the earths magnetic fields to do so. So, if you are put in the situation where you need to use a compass to sight a direction, it will not correlate to the direction on your gps if you use true north. True north also does not correlate to map north (the grid north direction on a map) without additional calculations based on your geographic location on the planet. To summarize, setting true north will set your direction reading to something that no other navigational aid (other than a gps) will naturally use. It can also make guiding in others (emergency services, aerial medieval) difficult.
Also, your directional setting has no affect whatsoever on your gps device's ability to track satellites.

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Can then GPS works in Poles Iknow the compass is not
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Fox
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Fox »

Mpenzi wrote:Can then GPS works in Poles Iknow the compass is not
GPS will work at the poles because it is independent of the earth magnetic field.

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

Are you planning a trip there?!?
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

desert_hawk wrote:
Are you planning a trip there?!?
I wish!

regardless which option we choose, the most important is that ALL the GPS of the club are set on the same...

Be ready for some GPS class as soon as the weather allows it, with Dopushups. :lol:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

TL/DR- You use a different coordinate setting on your GPS

The GPS will function wherever it can receive signal from the Global Navigation Satellite System. The satellites orbit the earth on 6 planes with 4 satellites on each plane. This allows for an average of 9 satellites to have a receivable signal on any point on earth (3 satellites are required for a 3D position on the earth).
The consideration with regards to polar navigation is the measurement used. The format commonly used by civilians is an angular value (Lat/Lon) and is not effective in the polar regions due to longitudinal convergence: meaning, the reference lines are wide near the equator, and converge at the polar regions. Because of this a different reference plot is used and there are separate formats used to navigate from. The most common being the Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS), as opposed to the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) commonly used for other regions.
Last edited by DoPushUps on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

DoPushUps wrote:
TL/DR- You use a coordinate setting on your GPS

The GPS will function wherever it can receive signal from the Global Navigation Satellite System. The satellites orbit the earth on 6 planes with 4 satellites on each plane. This allows for an average of 9 satellites to have a receivable signal on any point on earth (3 satellites are required for a 3D position on the earth).
The consideration with regards to polar navigation is the measurement used. The format commonly used by civilians is an angular value (Lat/Lon) and is not effective in the polar regions due to longitudinal convergence: meaning, the reference lines are wide near the equator, and converge at the polar regions. Because of this a different reference plot is used and there are separate formats used to navigate from. The most common being the Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS), as opposed to the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) commonly used for other regions.
Thank you for the explanation!!
We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Thanks DoPushUps!

was really really good ... are you interested to participate in the GPSchallenge 2011?
would be honored to have you in my team ! :mrgreen:
(well ... if this years rules allow mixed teams marshals and non marshals)

cheers
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

SSS wrote:Thanks DoPushUps!

was really really good ... are you interested to participate in the GPSchallenge 2011?
would be honored to have you in my team ! :mrgreen:
(well ... if this years rules allow mixed teams marshals and non marshals)

cheers
Thanks for the invite, I'll be happy to accept if I get my jeep ready in time. Currently the front axle is bent a little and AXA is backing out of covering it. So until I get it repaired and reinforced, I have banned it from heavy off road use.

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

DoPushUps wrote:
SSS wrote: ... are you interested to participate in the GPSchallenge 2011?
Thanks for the invite,........ I have banned it from heavy off road use.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you can join Chafiks team. He is driving a TJ what excludes real and heavy OR anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Sean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Sean »

DoPushUps wrote: front axle is bent a little and AXA is backing out of covering it. So until I get it repaired and reinforced, I have banned it from heavy off road use.
That sux....have they got good reason.....for me there isnt one, off road insurance for a 4x4 capable vehicle means off road insurance! hope you get it sorted.....be good to see you in the sand soon.....when we are both mobile..... :lol: