Turtles watch in Oman

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

TheNig wrote:Mpenzi

At the end of next week I will be travelling to Oman for three weeks business. If you have no news by then I will find what I can locally
That would be very nice of you.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

iremy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by iremy »

Mpenzi:

Plan it for June, I'll be out of here by July.

Lionbar

Post by Lionbar »

iremy wrote:Mpenzi:

Plan it for June, I'll be out of here by July.
Me too!!! June is best 4 me :D

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

We need to find information first and we can plan it properly. Wait for the TheNig

FreeSpirit
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by FreeSpirit »

Please make it the 1st or 2nd week in July. Thereafter I'm travelling again. And since I missed the other trip I have to be on this one otherwise I will :suicide:
NO LIMITS

TheNig
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by TheNig »

It's taken a while but I finally got some contacts. Sur Marine Services can be contacted on +968 25540068/25543400. They have accomodation without a/c and can put you in touch with camp site near the beach. Alternatively contact Nasser Ali +968 99782259 who is the owner of the accomodation. I have no information about the state of the area as the Ras Al-Hadd, to Sur and all the way up to Quriyat were badly hit by Gonu.
Nissan Patrol 4.8, OME 2" Lift, Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 33x12.5 Tyres, ARB Roof Rack, Safari Snorkel, K&N Air Filter, Garmin 276c, IPF Lights (Lots) - sometimes for me to see where I'm going, mostly to tell others I'm coming!!

lucknow

Post by lucknow »

I would like to attend depending on the timing....please keep this going as it sounds amazing.
Please remember to Tread Lightly....take only memories and leave only footprints. http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/home/Home.html

Pologuru

Post by Pologuru »

Just a thought re the proposed July date - make sure its not Monsoon time as that part of Oman gets monsoon weather and the turtle watching wont be so good - I went many years ago and it was fabulous..... it can be very windy and ?cold!!! on the beach - there were no authorised campsites when i went... it was 'do it yourself'! Now it is very regulated - also the best time is 'full moon' ...

Uristier
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Uristier »

It seems the turtles are still waiting for AD4x4.

I just returned from Ras al Jins. Stayed at the Ras al Hadd Hotel, some 20 minutes drive from the turtle beach. It was windy and I would not recommend camping. The Al Naseem Tourist Camp is very close but camping gear is required. There is also the "Turtle Beach Resort" but only 6 rooms with AC.

For 1 OR you watch the turtles at night (from 9.30 to 11 pm) and again in the morning (from 5 to 7 am). Night is good for watching the busy activities in digging the nesting place. we were "rescuing" lot's of baby turtles being lost in the sand. Morning time is good to take a photo when the last turtles "run" back to the sea.

Turtles are coming to the beach all year round. They actually lay eggs three times a year!

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Lets do the Eid trip first to Nizwa and we can plan for this trip soon after that.