Careful where you bury the BBQ charcoal

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

I buried the BBQ coals a couple of meters away from our shisha/BBQ spot on our last trip. Thought nothing of it.

Yesterday, I heard that one of our friends, whilst on a camping trip, accidently walked in bare feet over some buried coals. He has second degree burns and is very uncomfortable.

Next time, I shall bury my coals a good distance away - just to make everyone aware of this hazard.

DesertDawg
Travelling in my truck...

WildFire

Re: Careful where you bury the BBQ charcoal

Post by WildFire »

DesertDawg wrote:I buried the BBQ coals a couple of meters away from our shisha/BBQ spot on our last trip. Thought nothing of it.

Yesterday, I heard that one of our friends, whilst on a camping trip, accidently walked in bare feet over some buried coals. He has second degree burns and is very uncomfortable.

Next time, I shall bury my coals a good distance away - just to make everyone aware of this hazard.

DesertDawg
In UAE we have a way of cooking meet ( mainly lamp ) by doing the same....

1st you prepare a hole , then you put the charcoal , put the covered meet (foiled with Aluminum foil) cover that with charcoal again and burry the hole thing under the sand and it will cook this meet in less than 1.5 hours .

Therefore , yeah , be carefull when you burry charcoal. & I hope that your friend will recover very soon INSAHA'ALLAH
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

Uristier
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Uristier »

DesertDawg wrote: Next time, I shall bury my coals a good distance away - just to make everyone aware of this hazard.DesertDawg
No no, next time you DO NOT bury the coal, just leave it and so it is obvious and visible - not only to human but also important to animals. Making "everyone aware of this hzard" includes the animals my friend.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Agree with urs .. Do not burry the coal after the BBQ and do not move grill from it's place until the last moment before u leave .. Your BBQ grill shoal be the last thing to move because the sand under it will be hot

This reminds me with Mac daughter incident in the old days
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

iguana wrote:Agree with urs .. Do not burry the coal after the BBQ and do not move grill from it's place until the last moment before u leave .. Your BBQ grill shoal be the last thing to move because the sand under it will be hot

This reminds me with Mac daughter incident in the old days
An awful night that was!! Old Iguana carrying my daughter to the Red Cross in Musaffah, then to my old apartment, bless him, FULLY agree with Iguana and old friend URS, just leave the coals where they can be seen and leave disposable BBQ on the sand till last minute. Samantha still has the scars on her feet and Iguana,s back has never been the same :roll:
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

DesertDawg
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by DesertDawg »

Point taken, I shall leave them on the surface next time.

DesertDawg
Travelling in my truck...

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

This is basic outdoor safety, Always spread and stir the coals with dirt or water. Leave them in a thin layer, exposed so that the heat can dissipate. More information can be found here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campfire or in any outdoor or camping guidebook.