My car likes to burn!

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

My car likes to burn!

Post by Cybershot »

Hello guys and girls

Why it is so important to have a fire extinguisher on board??

Let me tell you my little story and afterwards you decide by yourself it is necessary or not.

It was happen in my first night drive together with Moe, XJ and Chuck. We enjoyed the nice weather and play around in the well known musaffha place.
After a while Chuck was forced to stop his car ( Yes, he get stuck ). Moe and XJ stopped as well and walk to his little red rusty bucket, to see how to get him out. I am the last one in the line and park my car on a way to get light to his place. Then I get a smell of burned plastic. I am just wondering coz that much it wasn’t before. So I opened the glove box in the dashboard and surprise, surprise there was a fuse melding down, but not in the normal way like the steel just meld and disconnect the power! No, the steel stays and the plastic around meld down and start burning. I get shocked and start screaming “Fire, Fire” ( Later on Moe told me I was screaming in German first, which was not very helpful ). Chuck gave me his spare extinguisher before we start the trip and this helps me to get the flames down quickly and minimise the damage.
Altogether I can say I had much luck that I discover the burn quickly and I got the extinguisher from chuck before, but it also could easily run a other way.

The technical reason was a lose cable at the frond light. By the heat the insulation get soft and rubbed down at a sharp edge. Then the fuse was a poor quality and so this happens.
I bought then 2 extinguisher at the next weekend and install them below the frond seats. 1Kg /40 Dir and 2Kg /60 Dir.

One thing at the end. I also like to joke about LR, LC, Nissan or Jeep drivers, but please at the right place and I think this can happen to all of us. So lets keep it a little more serious. Don’t get me wrong. Jokes about my burning dirty Wrangler or Chucks stuck are welcome, but the matter of safety should be keepen.

Tobias

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

I agree it is really important issue, it could happen without a notice, thanks for the info cybershot
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Safety Always FIRST

Post by Bulldozer »

Safety always come first regardless of the jokes of teasing each other or telling the truth about LRs, All will STOP when it comes to Safety as Tobias said it can happen to old or new car like we saw the Patrol in Big REd in other thread
Fire Extinguisher, Seat Belt, Tyres, Tyre Pressure, Water, Original spare parts (Fuses, Filters, Gaskets, Proper Material Hoses for the fuel, hydraulic, brake fluid, water) U might safe files but later U ll pay allot of Dirhams, it might cost u your car or it could be your life
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

Yep...very similar thing happened to me on my piece of sheep Jeep.
drove for 6 hrs , refueled , back into desert. was dark. 1 guy got stuck , parked in such a way to shine light...walk back to the car , smell smthg burning.
look under my car , see flames.
wire bundle came loose & the pvc tube which protects the wires was on the exhaust & started a fire.put it out just in time , with my fire extinguisher thats always in the car. the fuel line coating had already started to melt. not cool ,especially after just refuelling.

in addition to fire extinguishers , i suggest packing a spare set of undies! coz it's not cool when ur car's on fire! :lol:

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

Kris wrote:i suggest packing a spare set of undies! coz it's not cool when ur car's on fire! :lol:

What do you mean with " undies "
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

Kris
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Kris »

underwear :wink:

Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

It burns again

Post by Cybershot »

Hello everybody

I did not estimate that this story will be continued that quick.
What happened? My car was on fire during the last night drive (09.05.) This time it was a serious burn. It is technically still not clear what really happens. I guess the full supply pipe cracks close to the engine and the petrol get sprayed to the manifold or the exhaust pipe. Maybe the clutch get overhead or a not visible oil leek was somewhere close to a hot engine part. Doc will discover it in the next few days.
Or maybe something completely different, like my car will think: So, you post that I like to burn….. Grrrrrr….. then take this!!!

Anyway, it happens and I have to live with it as it is. After the burn I am surprised how small the damage was. We have been able to get the flames down very fast and this safes almost all the plastic parts and pipes around the engine.

Said ( Bulldozer ) need 2 extinguisher to get the flames down and again I was very lucky to have them close to me, mounted below the seat . Ahhhh,…..The extinguisher not Said!!!!

I don’t like to create rules for each and every thing. In this case like “Extinguisher are a must for Intermediate and above” but we should talk about it. Let me know your opinion.

My personal opinion is that especially during the hot season there is a higher risk for things like this and in the dessert we have to be able to help us self.

The price for extinguishers are quiet low and it can be a big help.
I don’t know how to fix them in a Patrol, LC, LR, RAV4, Hummer, …(pics would be helpful!) but I know how to fix them in Wranglers and this custom steel brackets ( see picture above ) I can offer to whoever wants to have it FREE OF CHARGE! Just post here and I will weld them together.

Tobias

ppnath
Advanced
Advanced

Re: It burns again

Post by ppnath »

I don’t like to create rules for each and every thing. In this case like “Extinguisher are a must for Intermediate and above” but we should talk about it. Let me know your opinion.

Tobias[/quote]

Hi Tobias

Absolutly right all your points and explanations...

But I disagree with wat you mentioned and recomended coz not only ( "Intermediate and above" ) but also for all the cars. Do you know our UAE Government soon will force to implement the fire extinguisher to be kept in all cars. So every one should fix the extinguisher (min 2 )

Thank ur info to all

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

It is actually a rule that no one listens to in AD4x4 (as usual .. But put safety rules and every body says yes yes we will do it) ... It is part of AD4x4 welcome pack where I had few orders only (20) .. I am ordering another 20 this week for those who wants, please call me ... The cost is 50 Dirhams
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Sharbel

Post by Sharbel »

LOL .... wranglers !!!! :lol:
shameless beings :P

PATROL POWER !!!!
SD -
If im goin to hell, Im goin in my Nissan Patrol

Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

Technical results

Post by Cybershot »

Hey Guys

I get my ride back last Thursday. Doc’s investigation shows what happened and I am really surprised about the result. Most properly the reason of the fire was the power stirring pump. During my stuck I use it quit hardly and I am not sure the leek was there before or came up coz of hard using. The oil drops to the Manifold / Headers and catch fire. Out of this the fuel supply pipe pops.

Aktions and costs:
Doc was able to replace the power stirring pump under warranty. Then he chance the fuel pipe to a stainless steel reinforced pipe, check all the wiring and pipes and this for a amount ( after discount!) which will not be enough for a diner in good restaurant.

Doc!!! A real big THANK YOU for helping me in this case!!!!

Tobias

PS: Sharbel: joint our trips and show us your Patrol power! :twisted:

vikid
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by vikid »

iguana wrote:It is actually a rule that no one listens to in AD4x4 (as usual .. But put safety rules and every body says yes yes we will do it) ... It is part of AD4x4 welcome pack where I had few orders only (20) .. I am ordering another 20 this week for those who wants, please call me ... The cost is 50 Dirhams
Hi!

could i book 1No. please; although i am still a newbie :oops:
Member #210 twoseaterwoopseater

"Take Part in Life"