snatching cars for newbies?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
luna
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by luna »

Hey! sorry I didn't know where to place this question.

I was wondering if newbies are ever allowed to recover other cars under the supervision of a marshal?

I have joined this club knowing 0 about cars and desert driving! I am so happy that atleast I finally know what my gear box stands for and how everything works in my car and the difference between hi and low ( yes deff I was a blonde when it comes to cars..still am in many ways)

But i was thinking if i wanted to learn more, for example how to do a recovery? do newbies get to do that under the supervision of a marshal or should we be in intermediate? because i have no idea how it is done, but would very much like to learn :) .
Jeep wrangler 2010. Additions: nope nothing...

We're never gonna survive unless we go a little crazy

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

Very simple, ask the marshal on the trip about the principles of the recovery done in front of u, why this and that.
You can ask the marshal before the trip if u can participate in recovering cars, usually it's either the car in front or behind, and depends on the situation and marshals preference.
Anyway, bottom line, no harm in asking in theory and practice.
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Re: snatching cars for newbies?

Post by scotchyl »

I did exactly that which DH is saying and was offered the chance to help whilst i was a newbie under strict supervision. it is a perfect way to learn but i tried (only when safe) walk to a stuck from my car and observe what was going on and ask questions. the two marshals who have let me assist have also given me lots of other pointers. i have done a handful more now i am an intermediate. (signature below)
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

luna
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by luna »

I actually do love your signature ! :p Thanks guys I will do something like that next trip! this one will be joined by my father so I'd rather not freak him out :P hahah

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

Post by desert_hawk »

Having said that, it all depends on circumstances, if a marshal says NO, that doesn't mean he/she is not willing to help or train, but may be there is another plan in his/her head or there is another member who we need training or supervising, etc.
But I don't think there is anyone who will prevent you from watching and learning if it was safe to do so, questions are always welcome, and we are all happy to teach what we learned, it's the cycle of life, today's newbie is tomorrow's marshal ;)
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

depends on the stuck, some stucks require really delicate recovery, towing, winch etc... but yeah usually anything can be done if the marshals allows, on the other hand he cant be held responsible for/if anything went wrong. 8-)
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

luna
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by luna »

MegaMoe wrote:depends on the stuck, some stucks require really delicate recovery, towing, winch etc... but yeah usually anything can be done if the marshals allows, on the other hand he cant be held responsible for/if anything went wrong. 8-)

ahahah that's why I think it'd be better if my dad's not in the car ! :P

Thanks guys for now I shall observe! I did learn how to put a shackle onto my car so yeay :P !!! baby steps.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Baby step for a baby driver... sounds good.

ok, more seriously:
- post has been moved to pietstop briefing, which is the place where we discuss all this question previous going for a ride.
- you should know how to do a standard recovery, as it should have been explain to you during the ANIT that you have probably attended... :twisted:
- usually, it's mainly at intermediate stage that you practive recovery. During newbie stage, you have a lot to deal with your car... and you are actually the one getting stuck. :lol:
- but everytime there is a recovery, you are encouraged to get out of your car and come to have a look, and ask questions if you do have.

Some recovery are easier than others, this also will be taught to you in time. We already saw car rolling over during a recovery (yes, in our club). So there are special ways to deal with this.

my only advice? keep on atending trips, get more and more confortable with your car, ask as much question as you want and each step will be one after the other one in the easiest way possible.

take care blond baby. :lol:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

luna
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by luna »

xof I have attended an anit and it has been explained to me, i just wanted to have a hands on.

and yes will keep asking questions and monitoring things. but if i keep asking questions and people keep making fun of me for being blonde when it comes to cars then that's a bit difficult :P !

Jayne
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jayne »

luna wrote:Hey! sorry I didn't know where to place this question.

I was wondering if newbies are ever allowed to recover other cars under the supervision of a marshal?

I have joined this club knowing 0 about cars and desert driving! I am so happy that atleast I finally know what my gear box stands for and how everything works in my car and the difference between hi and low ( yes deff I was a blonde when it comes to cars..still am in many ways)

But i was thinking if i wanted to learn more, for example how to do a recovery? do newbies get to do that under the supervision of a marshal or should we be in intermediate? because i have no idea how it is done, but would very much like to learn :) .
I agree with all the below responses. I would also encourage you on our next Dubai trip to get out of your car, observe and come and ask questions as to why we are doing recoveries in the way we are. You may have noticed last Friday Shadi talking through all his decisions with myself or Sean before he made recoveries, he was discussing options with us on the different ways he could recover, then making a decision on the best approach to do this, on one big stuck for example Shadi decided to try the members pushing the car first, and well done to Shadi, he picked the best options last week. You may have also heard the recovery options discussed when we were recovering you and your car. You will learn a lot by observation and listening to discussions when we are training in this area also, and in time will have this experience yourself.. See you on the sand soon :D
ph 050 319 7386

2012 Jeep Wrangler 2012
2011-2012 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2008-2011 Hummer H3

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

No question is a silly question so please just ask away. I learnt by asking, asking again and then asking one more time.

We are always happy, if it is appropriate and safe to do so, to explain what we are doing and why. This goes for recoveries but also why we pick a route, how we drive etc.

It's great that you want to get more involved and expand your off-road knowledge. As DH said, our newbies today are our Marshals in the future.

Just to make you feel better (?) - when I had a previous car which had 4x4 options, I genuinely thought that "4 high" would raise the car somehow and "4 low" would make it go much lower. Tried using the 4 high button to go over a curb and thought my car was broken as it didnt raise one inch! :lol: It was only when I got into off-roading with the club that I found out what the true purpose of these two options were!!

See you in the sand soon and I am ready and waiting for any and all questions. :D
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

luna
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by luna »

Thanks Sam! yea it does actually hahaha because i kinda am still trying to learn the difference between my 4 lo and hi. :p

And i replied to jayne but i guess my msg dint go through. But it's totally true what she suggested since before the last trip i thought recoveries were done in one way only. Then on the radio once she asked shadi which way does he think is most suitable i went like....hmmmmm... hahah I think next time i will be hovering around someone (make sure its a marshal or a sweeper to get accurate information) and ask why and why :P ! thanks peeps!