Humidity and Camera? Summer shots without damage!

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Cybershot
Advanced
Advanced

Humidity and Camera? Summer shots without damage!

Post by Cybershot »

Hey Guys and Girls

The summer season has started and your camera needs now a special treatment against the humidity. The main problem, which will come up soon, is that your lens get foggy coz of the difference between indoor and outdoor temperature. The wetness will stick to your camera and not all of them can take this. To avoid this I put my camera in a closed plastic bag ( Carefour sells some with zipper normally for the freezer ) around 3 hours before the trip in my car. So the camera has the time to get slowly warm and later the humidity will not catch the lens ore some electronic parts. This even works if you use the AC during the trip. It is better to have a warm camera in a cold room as a cold camera in a warm room. But if you use the AC, take care if you use the camera outside the car. It might catch the wetness again.

Chuck got a sand and spray water resistant camera from Pentax, I think?? Can you give us some details??

In any case, if you having problems with your camera coz of sand or humidity , I carry a basic cleaning and first aid kit with me in almost all the trips. So don’t be shy and ask me.

So, I am leaving for two weeks by tomorrow.

CU again soon

Tobias

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

Good tip Tobias, thanks for the info. Have a safe trip c u on your return :ad4x4:
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Thanx for the INFO, have a safe journey, enjoy your leave
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

DiVeR
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DiVeR »

Thanks for the precious information Tobias. Have a safe trip & c u again soon bro :wink:
diver@ad4x4.com (Member #70)

Two amazing places: Underwater & Offroad

Karim
:geek:

WildFire

Post by WildFire »

:idea: This is a cleaver solution :idea:
As they say ..... Need is the mother of inventions :lol:
Nice trick Tobias..
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

Lionbar

Post by Lionbar »

More than just fogging of equipment, it can also lead to corrosion of internals & in extreme circumstances short circuiting, killing the cameras.

So another thing, I recommend, regarding humidity is keeping silica gel sachets (small packets normally found in new bags or electronic equipment packaging - Marked "do not swallow") in your camera bags, or wherever you store your cameras. These will adsorb (or absorb cant remember!!!) the moisture in the surrounding air when the camera is not being used.

Sand us a little more simple, minimise sand contact by not dropping the camera whenever possible!!! Another more serious piece of advice for cameras with protruding lenses (zoom lenses that come out from the camera body). Cut a small hole in the bottom of a clear plastic bag (GLAD zip type sandwich bags will do, same as Tobias mentioned). Put the camera inside tha bag, placing the lense thru the hole, and tightening the bag around the lense with a rubber band. This will not protect the lense in the slightest, but will help preserve the internals of the camera (motors and circuits). It will also allow you to use all of the functions as the bags are see-thru, then just unzip the bag (in the dust free environment of the car) when the batteries or memory cards need replacing.

Alternatively, there is an Olypmus camera available in the market that is waterproof and sandproof at approx 1600Dhs. But if you have some serious money and love your existing soooo much I suppose an underwater housing will do the trick (but as stated, normally double the price of the camera.)

A plastic bag and a couple of sachets of silica Gel work for me.

Desert Ghost
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Desert Ghost »

Have a safe trip man. see ya soon