DesNav Tips !!!

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by desert_hawk »

If this is your first time in DesNav, here are some tips that might help you to enjoy your day and stay out of trouble

1. Make sure you and your team are well prepared, have extra supply of what you need, and ensure you have a spare of the equipment required, like GPS, batteries, etc.
2. It's advisable not to count on water only, but to use other rehydration solution as well.
3. LOOK at the map that will be given to you, plan all or part of the route you will take before starting.
4. It might be helpful if you avoid the difficult areas, the high dunes, taking longer but smoother route might be faster if you avoid stucks and other delaying obstacles, AGAIN look at the map.
5. Always stay in your convoy formation, keep a visual contact at most of the times, and radio contact at all times, and ensure enough distance is there ( you don't want to end up the 3 of you stuck in the same spot of soft sand).
6. Whenever there is a stuck, always think before recovery, try ALWAYS to make it in a straight line and with gravity when possible.
7. Think of the rest of your team members when you choose a track, the size of their cars, their capabilities.
8. It's not always necessary to drive exactly to the point, you can sometimes walk the last few meters, if you think you or your team members can't make it.
9. It will be a LONG day, don't forget to take a break, 5 minutes might help you to avoid long delay due to lack of concentration or tiredness.
10. Remember the purpose of DesNav, to sharpen your skills and get to know your team, you will have great memories, ENJOY.

if anyone have more tips, needs to ask a question, feel free to do so here...
Last edited by desert_hawk on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJCRUISER

Stars do not make a driver, the driver makes the stars.

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

nautibean
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by nautibean »

Thanks DH
Apolitical

Saif1
Marshal
Marshal

Re: DesNav Tips !!!

Post by Saif1 »

Thanks a lot Mo.

Nice tips & sure will help ;)
Saif
Prado SWB V6

"Leadership cannot be given... It must be Earned... It cannot be taken... You loose it by lack of performance"

Snappy
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by Snappy »

Thanks for the tips! Will keep them in mind!
Mob: 0552899973

Current Wheels:

JKU Sahara 2014, 2.5" Mopar lift with Fox shocks, 1.18" wheel spacers, Sumo Springs Bump stops front and back, 285 x 70 x 17 Cooper AT3 tyres, 10th Anniversary Rubicon front bumper, truck lite LED head lights, LED spots and light bar, reinforced front Axle, AEV (Original!) Tyre carrier with 39l jerry can, Bestop Trex Top NX, mounted ARB single compressor and adorned with my lovely Warn 9.5CTi winch !

[/u][/color]

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

2 more tips:

- for the teams who are aiming to do a lot of points and who are driving wranglers, 2 jerricans of petrol is a must.

- for everybody, if you can stay overnight, this is a good choice, as you'll be really tired after a full day in the sand... plus, you'd miss the party!!! :lol:

and remember: safety first! don't try to go above your skills, and don't let overconfidence turn your head upside down ;)
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by desert_hawk »

- always check with your team members if they are doing OK
- take spare radio in case you or your team need it
- always expect the worse, and tackle it with a smile
- lady GRAVITY is not an easy woman to please, do it the way she likes and allows ;)
- take a camera with you, those moments need to be recorded - PRICELESS
FJCRUISER

Don't think how many moments in your life, just think how much life is there in a moment.

AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

Xof wrote:2 more tips:

- for the teams who are aiming to do a lot of points and who are driving wranglers, 2 jerricans of petrol is a must.
Really?? wow, I did not know that... okay, time to go and buy a jerry can assembly! Are there any recommended places we can buy them and install them?
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:
Completed ANIT 21/12/2012
Newbie: 13 Intermediate: 11

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Zayed Ali Capitano

Post by Zayed Ali Capitano »

Super Like D_H ;) ;) ;) ;)
My Life .... My Rules
Total trips: from 17/02/2012 up to date = 102trips(mashallah)

Abu Ghazi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Abu Ghazi »

Thanks a lot Desert Hawk & Xof for the useful tips :-)
Trips counter:
Old rules: ANIT (1+2 as assistant), Newbie (14), Intermediate (13) One Liwa,
New rules: ANIT (2 as assistant), Newbie (2), Intermediate (9), Advance (7) One Liwa
Trips led:
New rules: Newbie (0), Intermediate (5), Advance (0)

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by Dune_Phantom »

Question is for FJ will one Jerry can be ok we have three cans amongst us. Need to know if this is adequate. We have two FJ and one JK.

Mosalf - 0566161157
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Phantom - Ghost Who drives in the Dunes...:mrgreen: :D

Abuantar
Intermediate
Intermediate

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by Abuantar »

Mosalf.. That's a good question. Any input on that will be good. :):)

desert_hawk
Advanced
Advanced

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by desert_hawk »

20 L jerrycan should be OK for an FJ with full tank at the last petrol station before the start point ;)

This is if your car is not heavily modified, you should be ok Mosalf, as for you Abuantr, not sure where your car is with modifications right now, long time no see man :)
FJCRUISER

akhateeb

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by akhateeb »

Maybe you can put some perspective, like "you need 3-4 times of average trip consumption" ..

I know my car takes around 1/3 tank per morning/evening trip.. (Desert Average 25L/100Km)

So a full day would be similar to 2-3 typical trips I think.. So a 20L can should be good..
Every man dies ... Not every man REALLY lives!
Ayman 0508144630
[*] Audi A6 for the lovely wife...
Total Trips since Sep 2012 : 54 Trips
Last updated: 25-NOV-2013

Abuantar
Intermediate
Intermediate

DesNav Tips !!!

Post by Abuantar »

desert_hawk wrote:20 L jerrycan should be OK for an FJ with full tank at the last petrol station before the start point ;)

This is if your car is not heavily modified, you should be ok Mosalf, as for you Abuantr, not sure where your car is with modifications right now, long time no see man :)

Yeah man long time. Desert hawk, I just have an exhaust in my car and an air filter :) I don't think the kings consume more fuel hehe. But hey I'm going to be taking 40l with me :)

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

Nice tips for everyone.

As for the fuel issue, one extra can for any car that does not have a second fuel tank is mandatory. I would perhaps think about taking an extra one or two (if you have them) which you can leave at the start/end point.

Please remember to take a break (as per the suggestion from Moe). It is very easy to get so enthusiastic that you want to keep going and going and going and going, but factoring in a quick pit stop every now and again may just help you.

Remember to watch your time and return to the base camp within that time frame.

Have fun. This is a great day out. Its not the winning that matters, its the taking part. I have great memories of the first DesNav I did and then the one that I assisted at.

See you all on Friday.
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128