Long Trips

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Just got back from another camping off-road trip in Oman, two of the best one this last one were "The Chains" treck, beautiful pools in a canyon like Petra in Jordan, and the ultimate, better than Jebel SHams in my opinion, the trail to Wadi Yasam, which includes a 1800m climb over only 4 Km, beautiful view from the top. Nice plateau on top to rest your car before you start going down the other side of the mountain towards the wadi. But then you have to to do the same track the other way to come back. Beautiful views again. Both those trails are in the Off-Road Oman book. Highly recommend. Regarding Raz Al Jinz, just camp at the park near the beach, after the main entrance, only 100 Dhr I think it was, the rangers come and pick you up around 2200 for the guided tour of the beach, and the next morning you can walk to the beach and go rescue some baby turtles. Plus the beach is beautiful in the morning, and you are allowed to swim in it. One great stop also near Jebel SHams is the Hoota Caves, 4 Km deep, with a guide tour. Well worth it. And lets not forget the Beehives Tombs, very interesting, and one of the best pictures I have ever taken in Oman, the tombs with a big mountain in the back. Don't forget to bring enought BBQ meat to last you a few days, because other than in Sohar and Muscat, there is no place to buy BBQ meat anywhere, even in Niswa, only big frozen chickens and muttons.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

turtle beach

Post by Xof »

9ball,

regarding Turtle Beach, the Rangers Park will be closed and demolished soon. Too much "tourists" do not respect the turtle sanctuary and access will then be controled. Will remain Al Nassem Camp and the Official EcoHotel. 100 visitors per day would be allowed, no more.

When we were there last week, there was 300 people, with even some touching the turtles, flashing them with camera, driving on the beach!!! Totally unacceptable... Rangers were overwhelmed and Ali (AL Nassem Camp Mgr and Guide) had to do the police, confiscating cameras...

Nevertheless, We suceeded to save 4 turtles who decided the hotel and coffee smell was more interesting that the sea.

Last edited by Xof on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

9ball
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 9ball »

Wow, how sad is that! That was my wife's favorite spot in Oman! When we went, there was may be no more than 40 people for the guided tour, and the next morning, I think we were only 4 people on the whole beach saving turtles.

Lars
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Lars »

And Liwa? :lol: ?

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

I have been to Turtle Beach twice and both times I was upset the way people handle the opportunity to really see something fantastic. I eseepcially remember a French guy who started his videocamera with a strong light and started filming.

I can fully understand why they are doing this but truly it is sad.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

What happened during big Eid???
Is anyone want to go to Massira Island or Turtle beach?? or any plans.
Feed back please.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com