Wrangler Sport: New with/without Tornado kit or Used?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Mulgara
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wrangler Sport: New with/without Tornado kit or Used?

Post by Mulgara »

Hi all,

Having decided that I only need the Sport model, I now need to make a few decisions for which I'd appreciate some advice...

I stopped by Western Motors Jeep yesterday and was told that there are no '08 manual models left, but the '09s are due within a week or two. The retail price on a new '09 Wrangler Sport is AED 96k, or 94k with 4x4 member discount. I'm sure I got a bigger discount on my Patriot, so am wondering if this is a reasonable deal :?:

They had a Wrangler Sport in the showroom with the 'Tornado' kit fitted, which adds AED 16k to the price and consists of:

- 2" lift kit and 1.25 spacers (2 Pcs each)
- Pro-comp 16 x 8 alloy JK wheels with Copper STT 33" x 12.5 R16 tyres
- AEM brute air filter
- Black fuel tank cover, tail light grilles and relocation of number plate and light
- Quick fist, shovel and Bushwalker fender flares

Is this a quality product worth getting for AED 16k :?: I thought it looked amazing! And the comfort of having such modifications covered by warranty and pre-approved by the police is attractive. I was also told that it could be fitted later for the same price. I've read elsewhere that doing modifications yourself will void the warranty. Is that the case :?: Has anyone had problems registering a modified Jeep :?:

Finally, I'm also considering used options, either '07 or '08 (i.e. the current model). I've found 5 advertised that fit the bill ranging from AED 76k to 79.5k. Do you think the saving over new makes it worth buying used :?: Is buying used here a huge risk :?:

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback so I can decide which way to go. :)

Thanks!
Steve

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

If you've got the money to spend I think yo should go for the Tornado, saves you time and is ready to rock as soon as you get out of the showroom. :evil:
If not then maybe get the standard version and upgrade with the tornado kit in a few months.
I think as long as the work is done by the Stealership the police don't have a problem with mods, as long as you have the letter from the showroom.

I think thats right anyway. :twisted:
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

There was a used 2007 Wrangler sport on the notice board in Spinneys (Khalediya) yesterday... might be worth a look.

Before you mod your vehicle, maybe check out what the other wrangler drivers in the club have modified. The stock wrangler will be sufficient for a beginner. First figure out what you 'need' before splashing out on mods you might have to change again later on...

And you can check www.quadratec.com to see if those parts are really worth the 16K.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Hmmmm,

It's a compromise on the warranty, letter to traffic dept. and proper modifications worth the money you spend.... I personally (my personal opinion that has nothing to do with the club overall policy or deals with Western Motors). I will take a stock Jeep and build it from scratch.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that what is your target offroading style and onroad drivability expectations from your rig...........

Did I confuse you further????? Welcome to the Jeep world
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

warranty is a tricky story...

I bought a 2008 new. Modify Air intake, Exhaust, TBS and Unichip (by Extreme Performance Workshop)
As far as i know, the air intake and exhaust will not void the warranty, even if not MOPAR brand.

The TBS and chip will. So must be removed before the maintenance. The Chip must be choosen so it does not let any print in the ECU of the car.

Regarding lifting and wheels modification for warranty, i have no clue.

your choice? depend on your budget. I personnaly prefer to pay more and have something new. No bad surprise. but this is my own personnal Choice.

My regards to Najib in Jeep from me.

oh, one last thing, in the club, NEVER compare a patriot with a wrangler...
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Read my signature, Real Jeeps are built not bought ... Building your JEEP is part of the fun of having a JEEP ... You add your personal taste and signature on your car.

On the other hand, going into the modification world will teach you lots of things, Before modifying my Wrangler, I though that I am a modification expert, I've done lots of modification son my previous cars, I even built cars from scratch, but I discovered that all what I was doing before was totally wrong.

So my personal advice, buy a stock and enjoy the modifying it
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

halwa

Re: Wrangler Sport: New with/without Tornado kit or Used?

Post by halwa »

Mulgara wrote:Hi all,

Having decided that I only need the Sport model, I now need to make a few decisions for which I'd appreciate some advice...

I stopped by Western Motors Jeep yesterday and was told that there are no '08 manual models left, but the '09s are due within a week or two. The retail price on a new '09 Wrangler Sport is AED 96k, or 94k with 4x4 member discount. I'm sure I got a bigger discount on my Patriot, so am wondering if this is a reasonable deal :?:

They had a Wrangler Sport in the showroom with the 'Tornado' kit fitted, which adds AED 16k to the price and consists of:

- 2" lift kit and 1.25 spacers (2 Pcs each)
- Pro-comp 16 x 8 alloy JK wheels with Copper STT 33" x 12.5 R16 tyres
- AEM brute air filter
- Black fuel tank cover, tail light grilles and relocation of number plate and light
- Quick fist, shovel and Bushwalker fender flares

Is this a quality product worth getting for AED 16k :?: I thought it looked amazing! And the comfort of having such modifications covered by warranty and pre-approved by the police is attractive. I was also told that it could be fitted later for the same price. I've read elsewhere that doing modifications yourself will void the warranty. Is that the case :?: Has anyone had problems registering a modified Jeep :?:

Finally, I'm also considering used options, either '07 or '08 (i.e. the current model). I've found 5 advertised that fit the bill ranging from AED 76k to 79.5k. Do you think the saving over new makes it worth buying used :?: Is buying used here a huge risk :?:

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback so I can decide which way to go. :)

Thanks!
Steve
Paying 16k for the above mods is way to high. With that amount you can do more on a standard JK. Mods are not cheap, but you do something every month and soon you will have your own unique ride. Good luck and please forward all your questions, you will get the best advice from all the members 8) :lol:

Mulgara
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mulgara »

Thanks again for the continued advice guys. I'm definitely keen to be more personally involved in making any mods, which is part of the fun as you say Iguana, and I'd also rather support members like Extreme rather than just getting what the dealer has on offer, but I want to be comfortable that it's all legal and won't lead to problems later. However, as it seems many of the club members have made extensive modifications, presumably without any issues from the police, then I guess it must be ok.

So I'll get a standard Wrangler Sport and think about mods later after a few trips, by which time I'll have a chance to speak with a few of you in person to benefit further from your experience.

I'm waiting on some info now regarding a used '07 Wrangler available in Abu Dhabi - so fingers crossed :D

Steve

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

No one here can confirm any legal modifications, even Western Motors, laws might change any time.

I remember the Wild Fire version which was presented by Westerm Motors had problems during registration with the metal bumpers. The problem was solved later on with Traffic Department.

I managed to get my car legally registered with all my modifications last year, including metal bumpers, a winch, lift kit, cat back, Mud tires, 2 colors (Red Paint and Black stickers), Offroad lights .. lots of things .. Although all my modifications are now recorded as legal modification in the traffic department computer, They told me that my metal bumpers will not pass this year as they changed the law.

So just modify it and cross your fingers everytime you have the renewal of your registration.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

don't forget also that some mods may void the warranty, therefore think twice between a 3years old cars and a new one.

Here also, very hard to get clear picture from Western motors on what will or will not void the warranty.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

halwa

Post by halwa »

Here in the USA guys buy jeeps to do off roading, not to drive to the mall and back. The dealers here have no problem with aftermarket brand mods (Rancho, Skyjacker, K&N ect....). They however viod waranty"s when tampering with engines like head porting ect..... The Jeep dealer here in Waco has adviced me (us) to complain directly to Chrysler in the USA if Western Motors give us hastles in the future.

Jax

Post by Jax »

halwa wrote:Here in the USA guys buy jeeps to do off roading, not to drive to the mall and back. The dealers here have no problem with aftermarket brand mods. The Jeep dealer here in Waco has adviced me (us) to complain directly to Chrysler in the USA if Western Motors give us hastles in the future.
That's good to know, Halwa. Is it actually stated anywhere from Chrysler that aftermarket brand mods are acceptable? - if so it would be great to have a copy of it to show the dealers here that they are not following company guidelines.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

I guess you need to take advantage of your stay in Waco and try to get something in writing from them, if possible, and also some contacts to file a complain in the case there are hassles and "warranty void" cases for normal aftermarket upgrades.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

halwa

Post by halwa »

Il do that, and see what they will give me. I will also get the correct email for complaint / warranty department at Chrysler. I have yet to see a standard Jeep here - they are all modified! :D

Ghanem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ghanem »

Brilliant idea Halwa, I’m really thinking of buying a new Sahara and the warrantee issue makes me think twice, as you said no body keeps a stock wrangler
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2009
2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 Ltr.