Musandam Offroad ... Oman border question

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Musandam Offroad ... Oman border question

Post by heinz »

Hi Guys,

My parents are coming over in November, and fortunately i can take a couple of days off to show them the UAE. I really think they will appriciate the beautiful sites in the UAE other than the malls in Abu Dhabi and Dubai... :wink:

So i was planning to show them around Musandam, the East Coast, Hatta and Al Ain.

I haven't been to Musandam yet, so i am keen to visit it. I have been reading up in the UAE offroad Explorer and there are some nice offroad routes throught the Wadi's and Mountains near Musandam.

There is a unpaved track through "Wadi Bih" that leads through the mountains to Khasab. Along this trail you have to pass the Omani border. In the 2006 UAE Offroad Explorer, it mentions you can only cross the Oman checkpoint from UAE to Oman ... and not Oman back to UAE?!?! Does anybody know if this information is correct??

If anybody can give me some more (current) info about this route... Also if you have any other nice tips on hotels / places to visit / things to see ... that would be great!

Your advice would be much appreciated!!! :D

Thanks, Heinz

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

Yep Heinz, unfortunately this is correct, so forget it.

To enter Musandam you will have to travel up to RAK and cross there. The formalities are easy. We have just returned from Musandam. Couldn,t get booked at Golden Tulip Hotel in Khasab, so we stayed at the Khasab hotel in the town. It was clean enough but the beds are like concrete and as for the evening buffet slop forget it.

We ate in Khasab town at a Grill place in the square, superb and very cheap.

Given the chance I would opt for the Golden Tulip Hotel ( Licensed as well ) tel +968 26 730777. You have to book WEEKS in advance though as it is very popular.

We did a full day Dhow cruise around the Fjords of Arabia as they call them and saw Dolphins, had all meals and drinks included and went snorkelling for 200dhs pp. An experience not to be missed, a relaxing day in superb scenery.
We did this though Dolphin Tours. ( tel:+968 26 730659 )

We also drove up to the top of Wadi Khasab & Jebel Harim, stopping en route at the green and fertile plateau. A great drive.

Anything else I can help you with, please ask.
Mac
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

I don't know if this is any use to you matey but this was on the explorer website.

Wadi Bih – The UAE checkpoint is currently closed to everyone except UAE and Oman Nationals.
The UAE checkpoint in Wadi Bih (p.56, point 7) was closed to all traffic from the Ras Al Khaimah side in January 2008, and it is not possible for anyone other than UAE and Oman nationals to pass through the ‘border post’. It has been blocked to expatriates in the past, then reopened, but it is not known if and when this will happen. For now, it is still possible to enjoy this route, by starting it from the Dibba side (p.58), by which means you can still access Wadi Khab Al Shamis, the track up to the top of the pass, and even down into Wadi Bih - but you will have to backtrack out to Dibba. They are also constructing a border post in Dibba as well, but is not in operation yet. Again, it cannot be predicted if and when it will be closed off from this side as well.

Al Ain – New rules at the UAE/Oman border between Al Ain and Buraimi
At the UAE/Oman border in the middle of Al Ain and Buraimi (p.174, between points 2 and 3), it is now not possible for anyone other than UAE and Oman nationals to pass through the border post. To get to Buraimi you can head to the other border crossing at the south of the town (north of the turn off 1.8km east of Al Jaamah R/A) where through traffic is still allowed. To access the off-road routes east of Al Ain, you have to exit the city by the southern road past the hotels to the ‘V Cutting’ (p.175).
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

TINTIN wrote:was closed to all traffic from the Ras Al Khaimah side in January 2008
This seems to be the problem ... jan '08 ... how to get updated info :?

Guess the safest bet is to drive up from RAK to Khasab on the main road, and explore the area from there :D

Thanks for the info Mac, and will def want to check out the fjords from the water :D

Thanks guys!

Lars
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Lars »

Hi Heinz,

I was in Khasab one month before. Its very nice.
But I was in the "Kasab Hotel" Nice Rooms and nice price! :lol:

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

i confirm the following :

not possible to go through the wadi Bih military zone... A friend tried 3 weeks ago and went back. Still pending : can we go from RAK to Dibba through this road?

Mussandan : great trip, a must see.

Al Ain : the border on the north is still open... but only one guy doing the paperwork. One the other hand, very few expat going through this road. Border on the south is of course ok... except if you are there at the wrong time... took us 2,5 hours to get through durng last eid...

good luck and have a good trip.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Tom
Advanced
Advanced

Visiting Musandam With Non-Resident Guests

Post by Tom »

To take out-of-country guests to the Musandam you need to make sure they have multiple entry visas for the UAE. Otherwise technically you can take them out of the UAE and into Oman, but not bring them back. Fortunately the folks at the border know this and don't let you take them out in the first place.

The rules differ by country of origin. I know that Canadians and British do not need visit visas processed before coming to the UAE. I also know that South Africans do. Have anyone who needs a visa to visit you get a multiple entry visa to avoid this problem. We found this out the hard way a few months back when one of our group had to turn back at the border in RAK. The weekend was otherwise amazing. The dhow trip to see dolphins and go snorkelling is a must.

Tom

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Thanks guys for all the info!! This will surely help to make a great trip for my visiting parents :D :D

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Thanks guys,

We had a great trip ... 1200 km in 4 days! On and offroad... Al Ain, Hatta, Fujeirah, Dibba, Mussandam... got that pretty much covered :D

Mussandam was a beautiful experience. What an awesome place to visit, especially off-road. The Khasab Hotel did meet all our expectations, as did the center square grill restaurant and we managed to snap a few pictures of dolphins during the dhow cruise :wink:

Thanks for all your tips and advice!

Now i need to go wash my Jeep :?