Geocaching

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Lionbar

Post by Lionbar »

go-dive wrote:Hi Lionbar, Jax, Jannig,
good to see more people getting into the game here in the UAE and Oman, especially if you are more interested in the caches placed off the beaten tracks, the more the merrier.
Great to see you found the Sweihan cache, but please don't forget to log your find on the geocaching website, I just visited the Sweihan cache page and saw that the last log report is dated 08 December and the description doesn't seem to be the same as yours so I take it that your find is more recent but has not been recorded yet.
Looking forward to go after the caches you will no doubt be placing. Cheers.
Go-Dive mate, the geocaching log was updated yesterday, with so many on the trip it was an argument on who was going to fill it in. Anyways, its done now, just filling in the fine details of the next drop off. A link to the geocaching site will be posted giving the AD4X4 members an opportunity to get involved.

For all those interested, this geocaching is not only for the members of AD4X4, it will be posted on the Geocache website and therefore its open to all those interested all over the world. The larger threat is from the geocachers living in the area as they have the easiest access. If you want to get involved, sign up and by the weekend there'll be another one to hunt in the U.A.E.

Remember some caches are in remote areas, so going alone is not an option.

CarbonHunter

Post by CarbonHunter »

Hi guys - I'm an experienced Geocahcer - but absolute novice 4x4'er.

So I'd be very keen to meet up with anyone keen on doing some caches - and I can tag along and get some off-road experience.

My geocaching name is Carbon Hunter too.

Look forward to meeting and chatting with anyone in the abu Dhabi area.
BTW: There are also plenty of non 4x4 geocaches in and around the UAE too. - I'm not sure if that was mentioned previously.

CarbonHunter

Post by CarbonHunter »

Did you know that there is an excellent Geocaching Forum linked to the geocaching.com website?

There is even an Arabian Gulf sub-section.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=25

I find it an excellent resource for getting to know absolutely anything about Geocaching, and meeting some great people around the world too (many with 4x4's - who take you for a drive when you are in their locale too).

Also good for planning trips overseas too. Well worth checking out.

alexs

Another 4X4 Newbie that is a geocacher

Post by alexs »

Hi All.

I have visited around 80 caches in South Africa and sponsored one of my own (it is still active after I arranged for its "adoption" while I am in the UAE). I intend to visit those in the UAE (where possible) and to place others if I can. I need to do some serious ANIT 4x4 work first. I know that I know not (after having attended a Dubai Dune Bashing Safari by the organizer Planet recently).

I hope to CU fellow geocachers on the rounds in due course, best regards.

CarbonHunter

Post by CarbonHunter »

great Alexs - I am about to place my 50th cache - looking for a significant place to do it.

Was thinking of an Earthcache on the Abu Dhabi sabkha (coastal floodplain).

But will wait and see.

go-dive

Post by go-dive »

Hi fellow Geocachers, just downloaded the caches placed in the desert or near roads used to access popular desert driving areas (Liwa, Al Mughrib...) so I thought it may be of interest for those who might be into it to see where they are. Note that only the caches placed (roughly) South of Abu Dhabi have been included in the map (note that there is many more than that but the others are not so related to desert driving). If you are a registered Geocaching participant you will already know where to get the coordinates and details about the caches you would like to go after, if you have not signed on yet but think you could be interested in the hunt join the community by registering at www.geocaching.com (it's free and w/o any sort of obligation).
Few of these caches are near the roads and can be accessed by just walking from the roadside (thus accessible with any car), others are near graded tracks, others near sand tracks and the last category is near nothing, just in the middle of the dunes.
Have an enjoyable and successful hunt.

CarbonHunter

Post by CarbonHunter »

his is brillaint - thanks.

A real nice mix of caches here (and just across the border in Oman) from the roadside stop and find - right through to the expedition required in 4x4 convoy!

I like the mix.