Prado or FJCruiser? SWB or LWB?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
TomL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Prado or FJCruiser? SWB or LWB?

Post by TomL »

This is my very first post, and I haven't even been on an ANIT trip yet, so a tentative toe in the sand...
I'm thinking of getting a FJCruiser as my first Abu Dhabi 4x4 vehicle. My friends who grew up here all tell me it's very well suited to desert driving. But now I see it's built on the same chassis as a Prado, I wonder if I can get a 4L Prado and raise the suspension, and achieve a similar offroad quality and get a little more value for money. I have 3 kids, so the extra doors on the Prado would help
If a Prado were viable, I assume a SWB would be more sensible in the sand than LWB (although the LWB would certainly fit more kids)?
I imagine there are as many opinions in AD4x4 on this kind of thing as there are members, or perhaps more.
Grateful for your views, before I spend all that money.
Tom L

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Welcom to our Club Tom !

Frankly, if you need to sit wife plus three kids, forget the FJ Cruizer or other SWB, its not meant to be family cars, its fun cars for the young. The Prado LWB will do fine for Newbie and Intermediate level trips, you will just kill the bumpers.

If Nissan is an option, check out the Xterra (not the new Pathfinder), it is as spacious as the Prado LWB but more designed for desert and offroading. 3 kids will also make sure that you car is a mess at all times, so I guess you do not need the full option with leather seats and the million gadgets :lol:

Welcome again and hope to see you soon with your new ride ...

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Nahhash
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nahhash »

what about the Nissan Patrol?! :roll:
MOHAMMAD

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Dare i suggest the Hummer H3 as another option or the 4 door Wrangler??

Abu Jaguar

Post by Abu Jaguar »

Well they are all right.

But seems you decided already Prado will do fine as mike said for some time and if you need to go further , you need to be ALONE not with family :wink:
Abu Jaguar Bin Za3lan Al Bahra

Happy now ?
____________________________________________________________________________________

vikid
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by vikid »

i would say nissan xterra or the fj

and the first mods on them should be the IVD suspension..

there is a direct dealer for this well know offroad suspension - MEBAR in dubai.
http://icon-vehicle-dynamics.com/

these are the best coil over suspensions for nissan and toyota's 8)

buy a 2nd hand xteera or a toyota and spend on IVD suspension; i am witness to the fact that these suspensions felt the same on a 12hr grueling offroad trip. :P
Member #210 twoseaterwoopseater

"Take Part in Life"

Nasser
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nasser »

I'd say that both the Prado LWB and the Xterra are fine vehicles, offroad and tarmac. Just a matter of your personal choice mate :wink:
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2014 in Dune Shade ~~~~For Sale~~~~
Nasser Al Karby - 0506668026

braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Post by braveheart »

It all depends how far offroading you want to go.

If all what you want to do is a nice and easy trip with your family that will ends with a BBQ, then Prado should do you good without any suspension kit or modifications.

I have an FJ with ICON suspension kit (installed last week), and many other modifications, and others on the way, so it's my toy :D

I use it for the family as well, and yes I have three kids, but the other family car that I have is the Nissan Armada 2008, that I dont take offroad at all (my wife will kill me :lol: )

I have seen the prado doing very well in intermediate trips... so its really up to you now

FJ stands for Fun Junkie :P

The only thing I hate about my FJ is the local dealer :D
Last edited by braveheart on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kghaleb
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kghaleb »

Prado is a very nice family car....as everyone says it depends on your prorities..

braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Post by braveheart »

mike0967 wrote:Welcom to our Club Tom !

Frankly, if you need to sit wife plus three kids, forget the FJ Cruizer or other SWB, its not meant to be family cars, its fun cars for the young.
Thanks Mike.... now I feel younger 8)

Zero_adam

Post by Zero_adam »

Dear TomL

I have been Off Roading with the club in my Prado since I bought it and it is doing very well with me, started with the Anit and I am in an Intermediate, with a bit of care in the Intermediate trips I still have no problems and no parts broken in my Prado and in this level I am really proud of it but it will not take you to the upper level in the club

Ali

Karkar
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Karkar »

Dude , go for a prado SWB with a lift , air filter , proper exhaust and some agressive tires , you are gonna go any where , one of my mates used to have one , freaken amazing , the bloody thing used to go any where .
Hated by many , Loved by few , Respected by all
Salute & Hats off for the ruff off-roaders

TJ 2002 Lightly Modified :mrgreen:
JK 2014 that wanna be a 10th anniversary rubicon :twisted:
No More Cats , Dogs or Birds ....... I have a wife and a kid now :roll:

Jacques
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Prado or FJCruiser? SWB or LWB?

Post by Jacques »

TomL wrote:This is my very first post, and I haven't even been on an ANIT trip yet, so a tentative toe in the sand...
I'm thinking of getting a FJCruiser as my first Abu Dhabi 4x4 vehicle. My friends who grew up here all tell me it's very well suited to desert driving. But now I see it's built on the same chassis as a Prado, I wonder if I can get a 4L Prado and raise the suspension, and achieve a similar offroad quality and get a little more value for money. I have 3 kids, so the extra doors on the Prado would help
If a Prado were viable, I assume a SWB would be more sensible in the sand than LWB (although the LWB would certainly fit more kids)?
I imagine there are as many opinions in AD4x4 on this kind of thing as there are members, or perhaps more.
Grateful for your views, before I spend all that money.
Tom L

Take my advise, forget Nissan Patrol. To me there is no better value for money than Toyota Prado. I started offroading in 2002 with my Prado and the thing goes anywhere and everywhere. People in this club telling you "it's fine for newbie and intermediate trips" are confused. I agree, some advanced trips you will not be able to attend, specially with LWB, but who cares? If you want, spend money on a steel front bumper from Al Ain, colour coded to your vehicle, forget the lift kit and enjoy. You will spend no more money on mods, and will go more places, in comfort, with AC running than most vehicles, including Patrols. DO NOT consider the FJ cruiser with lift kit, the thing is top heavy as it is and now you still raise it more, they fall over, believe me. The prado has more power than FJ also. Learn to drive and protect your vehicle, and you will be as happy as anything. I have lost no front bumpers, even going to area 52, only the back one once. Good luck.
2007 JK Sport, 16" Pro Comp Rims, 33" Tyres, 2.5" Terraflex liftkit, Garmin 276C and in need of more!!

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Just one comment on the Prado, make sure you go for the V6 4.0 NOT the 4 cyl 2.7 its has no power. Also do not go for the top of the range model with the spare wheel underneath, go for a lesser model with the wheel on the back door, as these have dual fuel tanks giving you a better range.

Andy

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

you also have to consider the Land Cruiser. Less issues with bumper, can go advanced trip...
Wasabi is selling one! plenty of space and definitely the king of desert. This is a reasonable choice...

but follow your heart, this is the most important criteria : to choose a car that fit your dreams.

last advice : come to a few trips before starting any mods. That will help to do exactly what you will need, not waste money, and see if you actually need it
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry: