Prado or FJCruiser? SWB or LWB?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Prado or FJCruiser? SWB or LWB?

Post by braveheart »

Jacques wrote:
TomL wrote:This is my very first post, and I haven't even been on an ANIT trip yet, so a tentative toe in the sand...
I'm thinking of getting a FJCruiser as my first Abu Dhabi 4x4 vehicle. My friends who grew up here all tell me it's very well suited to desert driving. But now I see it's built on the same chassis as a Prado, I wonder if I can get a 4L Prado and raise the suspension, and achieve a similar offroad quality and get a little more value for money. I have 3 kids, so the extra doors on the Prado would help
If a Prado were viable, I assume a SWB would be more sensible in the sand than LWB (although the LWB would certainly fit more kids)?
I imagine there are as many opinions in AD4x4 on this kind of thing as there are members, or perhaps more.
Grateful for your views, before I spend all that money.
Tom L

DO NOT consider the FJ cruiser with lift kit, the thing is top heavy as it is and now you still raise it more, they fall over, believe me. The prado has more power than FJ also.
Jaques, please tell me you are not serious, and this is a joke right :?:

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

Very serious, we have had 2 in our club go over in the last 2 months I think, thats not counting the others in other clubs. Take care brave heart, especially with side sloping :?
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Aeh, where is this discussion going ? A Newcomer is asking for advise and recommendation here, no more, no less.

Just as a general statement, cars do not roll over because they are a car from brand X, they roll over because the driver was exceeding the limits of it, end of story please.

Just to conclude this a bit, if you are looking for a car that compromises between offroading and family needs, then you better go for LWB cars because of storage capacity. On the lower budgets we have

Prado VX 4.0l LWB, do not take the high end one, but the one with wheel on the back
Xterra 4.0l LWB, is already a bit lifted, has BFG tyres and seats 5 easy with luggage and is way cheaper than Prado

with a higher price tag you can buy Badrol or Landcruizer of course, LC more comfort, Badrol more offroad.

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

mike0967 wrote:Aeh, where is this discussion going ? A Newcomer is asking for advise and recommendation here, no more, no less.

Just as a general statement, cars do not roll over because they are a car from brand X, they roll over because the driver was exceeding the limits of it, end of story please.

Just to conclude this a bit, if you are looking for a car that compromises between offroading and family needs, then you better go for LWB cars because of storage capacity. On the lower budgets we have

Prado VX 4.0l LWB, do not take the high end one, but the one with wheel on the back
Xterra 4.0l LWB, is already a bit lifted, has BFG tyres and seats 5 easy with luggage and is way cheaper than Prado

with a higher price tag you can buy Badrol or Landcruizer of course, LC more comfort, Badrol more offroad.

Mike

I totally 100% agree

Abu Jaguar

Post by Abu Jaguar »

Well said Mike :wink:

END OF STORY.

NEXT :reading:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Abu Jaguar Bin Za3lan Al Bahra

Happy now ?
____________________________________________________________________________________

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

mike0967 wrote:Aeh, where is this discussion going ? A Newcomer is asking for advise and recommendation here, no more, no less.

Mike
True true, sorry if I scared anybody. :oops:
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

I guess the question is:

Are you going to use your 4x4 to spend time with your family? = LWB

Are you going to use your 4x4 to get away from your family? = SWB

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

My friend has a Xterra and is very happy with it. Though he says the rear suspension is quite soft, which results in rubbing when 4x4'ing with lots of luggage.

I think the Wrangler Unlimited is also a good option. 9-ball always seems to have plenty of space for his unlimited supply of BBQ equipment :lol:

Last week i was out with a guy in Chevy Tahoe who had no problems going everywhere 8O ... goes to show there are plenty of options ... it's up to your personal preference and budget ...

Good luck and see you out there soon :wink:

braveheart
Advanced
Advanced

Post by braveheart »

:thankyou:

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

:thankyou: Xof,

TomL welcome to the club, and hope you will find the car you are looking for! Xof is right like always, come to a trip with us and decide what is suitable for you! There is a trip 2morrow organize by Mike; you are welcome to come with me if you want to, it will help you to decide....and will answer many of your questions :wink:
PM me.

Wasabi

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Wasabi wrote::thankyou: Xof,

TomL welcome to the club, and hope you will find the car you are looking for! Xof is right like always, come to a trip with us and decide what is suitable for you! There is a trip 2morrow organize by Mike; you are welcome to come with me if you want to, it will help you to decide....and will answer many of your questions :wink:
PM me.

Wasabi
Wasabi as always gr8 man :thankyou: , :iagree: join a trip and ride with some of the guys in different cars for comparison

Danbay
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Danbay »

Just to throw my opinion in here :D , the Xterras are pretty great rides, and from what you said tomL in your first post, it sounds like you might enjoy doing some lifting and maybe some other mods, and the Xterra is great for this. Its VQ40DE engine is a wonderful machine with 265hp, and 285 lbs of torque. Like someone said, its lifted, and the Off Road model comes with a rear dif lock. 8)

Anyway I really like the Xterras and I plane to pick one up in a year or so to be my on road truck untill I kill my current pathfinder :P and plus, it just looks so much better than those ugly FJs :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nahhash
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nahhash »

Mike
:iagree: 100%
MOHAMMAD

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

heinz wrote:I guess the question is:
And what if you dont have a family?
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Nahhash
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nahhash »

Viking wrote:
heinz wrote:I guess the question is:
And what if you dont have a family?
Buy both :D
MOHAMMAD

desert_knight

Post by desert_knight »

X terria is good because you havea familly

prado is perfect familly and offroad but the bumpers is the problem but driving a prado is more comfortable compared with the x terria , and more resail value :) toyota

my opnioum go for a prado
:)