GPS Cordinat for the trip location

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
humaid_uae
Intermediate
Intermediate

GPS Cordinat for the trip location

Post by humaid_uae »

Hi,
First of all I want to thank all of you who contributing to the club and making it active with all of these trips and activities
I have a suggestion which I hope that it will be considered

I think it will be a good idea to have the GPS co-ordinate of the meeting point or at least somewhere near the meeting point so that anyone considering to join a trip can plan and know the location before registering to a trip
as many of the member are not form Abu Dhabi or even doesn't know the location.

for example I came throw lots of post for trips ...etc but when I try to know the location I cant do so as I don't know the areas in Abu Dhabi ..the last time I have to struggle allot in google earth to find out where Al khazna is located :)

I have a GPS with the basic map of UAE but it doesn't have that aera in it...so it will be great idea to have the location or somewhere near it so the person will know the rough location and then can make your mind to join or not :)
I am not asking for the exact location but somewhere near it ( so once the member confirm to the trip and got accepted then the exact location can be given )

Regards
Humaid

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: GPS Cordinat for the trip location

Post by mike0967 »

Dear Humaid,

the reason why we say that the meeting point will be given to registered members by SMS only is unfortunately by bad experience from the past. Giving the meeting point open on the Website attracted non registered people to just come and join us.

Non registered in this case were both Club members, but also other visitors and guests.

After attending some trips you will know most areas and meeting points that we use anyway, so, just give yourself some time. If you are not sure, just PM the trip leader for more info on the area before you register. I am sure he will be glad to advise you.

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

Fully agree with you Mike.
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

adiga
Deputy Chairman & Co founder
Deputy Chairman & Co founder

Post by adiga »

Dear Humaid, welcome to the Club and hope to see you soon.

Our Club policy is not to give the location or timing for the public !!it will be send via SMS / PM for the confirmed members, or you can call the trip leader, he might give you the location , might Not :oops:

You did struggle to find Al Khazna on Google earth !!! Now, you know where is it :D it's part of the game to know the locations, NO struggle No fun, No stuck also no fun.

So, sorry, we'll not take your advice this time :oops:

Thank you for your participating
“Do for this life as if you live forever,
do for the afterlife as if you die tomorrow”

MarwanJeeper
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by MarwanJeeper »

at least the meeting point,,so every body get in time...
i ask MAC ones for GPS Position then i got in my mobile..it help aloooooooot

big thanxs to MAC. :P

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

When you receive the meeting point SMS, if you don't know the meeting point, just sent back an SMS to the trip leader requesting for coordinates. Then he'll send them to you! :wink:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Xtreme
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Xtreme »

Yeah fully agree with you guys,
but as Khaled Almagboul did last trip, he sent us the meeting point in coordinates by SMS (N24 11 457, E54 59.593), so it was really nice to enter it into the GPS to give you the full details. It was an ADNOC petrol station in Al-Khatim.
So that it had both, only for members and you can reach it with GPS, so it could help Dubai Team.
You will never never Know, If You never never Go.
Xtreme (aka Rober Raouf)
Black Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 2005 3.0L with 2" Old Man Emu
Mob.: +971 50 811 9940

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

Exactly out of that reason I started this post

http://ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5811

Hopefully the trip leader will use the correct definition used in this post and then you can just look up the coordinates.
I will try to update the post with a few more and if anyone else have an update - please let me know.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Nahhash
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nahhash »

Also, I think using the coordintaes in addition to the name of the meeting points will allow the new members start learning how to use coordinates as a way point in their GPS as many cars have built in ones.
MOHAMMAD

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

Nahhash wrote:Also, I think using the coordintaes in addition to the name of the meeting points will allow the new members start learning how to use coordinates as a way point in their GPS as many cars have built in ones.
Good point but as it is already a long SMS so you try to keep it as short as possible. Anyone can take any coordinates and practice anywhere and I am not going to include the coordinates in the SMS. As already said most people know where this is after a few trips and added to that the coordinates are available if you need them. If they still need assistance they can just reply on the sms or call me.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Nahhash
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nahhash »

Viking wrote:
Nahhash wrote:Also, I think using the coordintaes in addition to the name of the meeting points will allow the new members start learning how to use coordinates as a way point in their GPS as many cars have built in ones.
Good point but as it is already a long SMS so you try to keep it as short as possible.
You still young Buddy, make them as templates :D. Actually I also hate long texts :lol:
MOHAMMAD

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

Guys make sure u have the correct setting in your GPS, u can always ref to this topic
Ref to this topic:

http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php ... mat#p64092

Settibg your GPS as follow:

Go to Setup > Location > Map Datum: WGS 84 ,
Location format: hddd'mm.mmm' & Heading: TRUE
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded