Choosing my 4X4

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Topalev

Choosing my 4X4

Post by Topalev »

Hi!
This is my first post;)
I'm planning to buy a 4x4 (second hand).
My mind stopped on LC70 (short) and Patrol.
I need a car to have fun and drive in daily (for around 150km every day:), so fuel consumption should be ok, I'm scared of Nissan because i heard from many people - Patrol swallow up Petrol))
I used to have FJ cruiser and in a period of 1.5 year I have modify it, had fun on and off-road... but had to sale it :cry:
Now everything is ok and I'm again planning to buy 4x4.
Please help me to choose the right car.
If I will get the car no matter what i will still modify from one or other way, for sure suspension :D
Thanks a lot;)

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Choosing my 4X4

Post by Gladiator »

You had FJ before.. u had fun with it.. you modified it... so why NOT FJ again....??

I strongly recommend it for you since your used to it and you know the car well..

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Best to buy your FJ back :wink: Its good offroad and comfy for commuting 150 kilo daily.
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

I agree with the idea of getting another FJ, but as an option what about the Xterra? 4 door, lots of power, good off road as stock? or (and I hate to say this!!) Wrangler unlimited?

Topalev

Post by Topalev »

I thought to get it back, but the guy who bought it doesn't what to sell my car back to me, (why did I sale it 3 month ago and now asking to get it back)
And getting another means again buying suspension, air intake, bash plate and more....
That is out of budget(((((
And I don't want to take a bank loan, I want to get a car around 35-45kAED. Max 50 if it is in good running conditions, and I really like it....

Topalev

Post by Topalev »

I don't have kids, so LWB 4 door car is not in priority for me;)
I just need powerful, with good 0-100km/h, and less fuel consumption 4x4))))

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

I would try to find a five to seven year old SWB two door Land Cruiser, the old shape ones that are still sold in Oman, with the 4.7 V8.
Even better than the FJ or Jeep. Price should fit comfy in your budget.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Jo is still selling his Land Rover Disco...You can also consider this choice... ready for Off road, and good on road. Plus the engine has been replaced recently and upgraded...

have a look to this link for more details: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5966

and definitely in your budget!
Last edited by Xof on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

First of all welcome to the club.

2nd it is sad to tell you that your dream will never come true, from what I read, You want a good 4x4 with low fuel consubmption, comfort, no need for modification, can be used on and off road and will cost only 40 - 50 K.

The only car that is within this budget is a Landrover if you can handle the maintenance. but again it's a V8 so don't talk baout fuel consumption. Jo is selling his car already modified and ready to go. check with him.

All the good 4x4s have big engines and all of them swallow petrol unless you want a Suzuki 1.6.

Otherwise get another FJ or a Nissan Pathfinder (The old one with a 3.5L Engine)
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Topalev

Post by Topalev »

Thanks for your replies;)
I have one question, did anyone drove LC70 (land cruiser 70) SWB, what do you think of it?
I know it is very reliable and strong.
Yep pathfinder is a good idea, but difficult to find clean one or cheap one...

PR

Post by PR »

LC70 2-door is a great truck for heavy-duty off-road: it is light and built to last.

However, it is not comfortable and it is tipsy for the dunes. You're going to hate driving 150km on tarmac each day. No ABS, no airbags, no auto transmission, I think still leaf springs - you're talking old-style pick-up comfort.

New they cost around 100k and used they are hard to find. 4.5 inline 6 engine is one of the best ever built by Toyota.

Lots of nice mods for them online and it would be a very unique ride.

Topalev

Post by Topalev »

Thank for reply;)
So you think LC70 is bad car for daily driving, is it worse than Wrangler (old shape)?
What about Pathfinder old shape like 2004-2005 model.
I know it is reliable, but does it worth in good conditions 40k-45kAED?
thanks

PR

Post by PR »

Pleasure Topalev 8)

LC70 I think has a rougher ride than YJ because the suspension is more heavy duty. It is a mule to drive!

Also it is higher and narrower so you feel corners and roundabouts more.

But in the Wrangler YJ you hear the wind more, though, thanks to its brick-like aerodynamics :lol:

The Wrangler has more driveable gears, while the LC-70 is set up like a truck with a very short 1st and 2nd.

Now, having said all this, I would love to own an LC-70! :mrgreen:

Personally, I drive at the speed limits so top speed doesn't worry me. I don't listen to music in the car much so the wind howling keeps me company. And the suspension - who cares? I want it to eat up hard wadi tracks so I'll pay for it on-road.

I drove my YJ for 2 years no roof, no doors - yes, even summer - so perhaps I'm not the best guy to comment on comfort! LOOOOOOL

LC-70 is hardcore... if you want hardcore, then there's your answer! 8) Give it a little lift, bigger wheels, maybe some air in/out loosening up to get the power flowing and you have a little beast there...

But if you also want your 150km of tarmac each day, then you can do much better with another car that can be both hardcore and comfortable, like LC-80, or as others have already said Jo's nice Discovery.