newbie needs info

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
canada_cam

newbie needs info

Post by canada_cam »

Hello - im a new member who joined in canada before moving here and have now arrived and finally got my licence. I have some questions about what truck to get - i have been told nissan patrol and toyota landcruiser by almost every local - what the process for buying used is and what insurance covers and does not cover. I have some experience off roading in canada and in qatar in a 86 patrol. I have about 50 000 aed to spend and want to get a truck very soon. If you could direct me to any memebers to chat with i would really appreciate it. Looking forward to getting out soon. Thank you

Cam

050 815 6401

MooD
Board Member
Board Member

Re: newbie needs info

Post by MooD »

Cam Welcome to the club ...........
If you are looking For family car and An off Road Car go to Toyata Or Nissan Patrol and if you are lookking for an off Raod Car olny Take A Jeep Jk or Toyata Fj ................

I Happy with My FJ with my small family ................
See You Soon on the Sand And you are welcome to join Me in my car Any time ....

the War will Stars Here JeeP Vs Nissan vs Toyota .............. :twisted:
Are you Ready For Action with MooD.....

Off RoadIng Is An Art.........................
Banna ... You will be missed but never forgotten
Others & My Rights ……

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

canada_cam, welcome to the club,

Check out: www.dubizzle.com & www.souq.com you may find what you are looking for.

Toyota LC & Nissan Patrol, I would say both are good option but it all depends on what you want to do with it! Do you have kids? Do you really need a LWB car? Are you going to have 2 cars? 50000Dhs in a car; it will not be easy to find something decent for this price. Mood was giving you the option of the jeep wrangler JK but it would not be possible to get one for 50000DHs.

Good luck with your search and don’t forget to check out our "for sale" there is a Prado SWB for sale at the moment, it may suite you :wink:

Wasabi
We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Hello Cam,

Welcome in the UAE, and welcome in AD4x4.

Some additional info:
your choice of Car:
this is a never ending discussion in the club, as everybody is keen to justify he gets the best car! but the best way to choose your rig is to define accurately how you want to use it ...
- family or bachelor (for the size of the boot),
- your sole car or just for week end ( confort on the road, reliability, noise...)
- casual and light off roading, or want to improve and join for expert and extreme drive (level of potential mods, LWB or SWB, power of engine, etc...)
- Budget of course (LC and Patrols are reliable and geat but very expensive even in second hand, third, fourth...)
- If you want a toy for fun or a real car, i.e. you dream car.
- etc...

in addition, I may recommand you check Jo's Land Rover Discovery for sale(he is marshal in the club), and even give him a call. http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5966definitely in your budget, and this is a great car, ready for the sand from newbie to advance).

after you choose it :
- insurance. Check for off road cover. Check for Oman cover (if not, can be taken at border). Check for free recovey (very usefull). Peronnaly, i'm with AXA.
- registration : you'll need a letter from the company to allow you to buy a car (even second hand) + you local driving licence + passport + insurance copy +the other owner and previous registration. This is for Abu Dhabi. you can import a car from Dubai, but need to make more papers... Don't forget that cars older than 3 years are mandatory for an inspection. Modified vehicles (steel bumpers, lift kits...) can be rejected until they are de-modified.

Start off roading:
- just join an Absolut Newbie Initiation Trip (ANIT), we'll explain you everything.
- Then you can decide what you need to buy (recovery devices, radios...) or to improve...
- I used to drive in Qatar back in 2005... Believe me, no comparison in UAE!!!

see you soon hopefully. Don't hesitate to ask for more, or send PM...

cheers.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Welcome to the club and the country Cam, I think the guys already gave you all the answers. Good luck in your search, and check the for sale section of the club, there are some good cars there
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

Hi There.

As has been said wellcome to the club.

You are indeed fortunate to be looking to buy a set of wheels right now as ther are two amazing vehicles all ready and waiting for a new owner.

The first is the Jeep none other than that of teh Chairman of the Club. As can be safely said its a wild one and worth considering.Details are available on this link http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7648

Your second alternative and a little more money would be going for "the tank" another awsome Jeep belonging to our beloved lady marshall JAX, all ready and begging for a sympathetic owner who will keep it happy. Details are on this link
http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7676

The best part about going for one of these is that they have been lovingly modded by the respective owners on a "money no object" basis and have been thoroughly tested in the sands and have passed with flying colours so what else would one want !!

Admitted the price is a little more than what you want to spend but look at it this way going for one of these will be a one time expense with all mods already in place and we all know how these cars were cared for so no ugly surprises to be had at all.

Wish you all the best on your quest.

Wasif