...more advice needed for buying 4x4

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
keitho

...more advice needed for buying 4x4

Post by keitho »

Hello,

Its me again, keitho, looking for more advice for getting a 4x4....

I have come across a nice jeep cheroke 2004 on dubizzle and I am just wondering a few legal things.

1) What is the procedure for transfering ownership from the seller to me?? This is my first car purchase in the UAE.
2) How can I check that the guy selling me the car actually owns it and doesnt have any outstanding loan payments or traffic fines?? (i just want to be sure, the guy seemed very genuine btw)
3) What paperwork do I need before I go to the motor dept??
4) The seller wants to keep the reg number. Is this no big deal/much extra cost for me??
5) What is the story with 'vehicle registration'?? I hear people saying they must pay fines before they can renew their 'vehicle registration'. Must this be done every year?? Is it in conjunction with a car test like the NCT in ireland/MOT in UK?? How can I check when this was done on the car and when its next due??

Also the seller was saying its insured for the next few months, does the insurance go with the car and not the driver here in UAE??

Thanks for the help and for pointing me in the right direction, not much longer and i'll be mobile insh'allah and getting stuck in lots of sand!!!

keith

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Re: ...more advice needed for buying 4x4

Post by iguana »

Keith,

Congratulations on your new car. The process of transferring a car registration is as follows:
- Both owners (New and old) will go together to the traffic department.
- Get the car tested (Like MOT in UK)
- Go to the counter, pay all the fines
- If the car is mortgaged (Bank Loan), then the owner have to submit a mortgage release from the bank (Which means that the bank loan is fully paid)
- register the car in your name

So this answers half of your question. Everey thing is done in traffic department.

He can keep his number plates, thats a 2 minutes job in traffic department. You will wait for half an hour to get your new ones printed.

Yes, you can transfer the insurance, you need both to go to the insurance company, he tgransfer the insurance to your name, you pay some money (Because you need 13 months of insurance to register your car) so you will pay the additional uninsured months. This step is to be done before going to the traffic department.

You need the following documenmts to do the registration:
- Passport copy + Original
- Driving license copy + Original
- Insurance
- Letter from your sponsor addressed to traffic department

If you are buying the car from Dubai and registering it in Abu Dhabi then you need to get the car exported from Dubai. The process is as follows:

You do the same process in Dubai. Both will go to traffic department in Dubai, transfer the ownership, get an export plates from Dubai traffic, and take the car and drive it to Abu Dhabi, get it tested again, get number plates and the car is yours.
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

keitho

Re: ...more advice needed for buying 4x4

Post by keitho »

great, thanks for the info....i might as well pay for the additional months on the insurance that the seller has, just to get the car through registration..then can i cancel the policy and cash it back in with the insurance company and get another policy (maybe a better deal from a different company or one thats fully comp.)??

thanks again for the info...