To go for an FJ or not?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: To go for an FJ or not?

Post by Xof »

not better: different.

For off road, stock, you'll be able to go harder with a JK (better clearance, better tyres). FJ will reach it's limit earlier (but you can still do a lot without mods).

Be aware that Toyota in Abu Dhabi is reluctant with any mods and that they take this opportunity for voiding the warranty if you change anything... (Ask modified FJ owners).

But again, you want to drive a lot on road... so... GO FJ. Just be fully aware of the ins and outs. Anyway, i think you had made your choice before asking :wink:

PS : for the price of a new FJ, you can have a new JK unlimited (4doors) + exhaust + air intake + good lift kit and better rims and tyres... all made in Western motors and under warranty... But don't expect to average more than 130/140 on the AUH-DXB commuting...
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

MooD
Board Member
Board Member

Post by MooD »

dear,
I've owned before Tj ............. Ya it the best car for offRoad Only ......
I have An Fj Now ............ One of the best ........ Onraod and Off Road but as others said Visibility issues but you can get used to it ....
I'm Using daily very happy with it ...... but right now I'm using SWB Nissan Padrol .. :wink: for offRoad only And I can rech any where ......

So Buy an FJ ..................

Jk its nice car but not good as the Fj ......

All the Luck
Are you Ready For Action with MooD.....

Off RoadIng Is An Art.........................
Banna ... You will be missed but never forgotten
Others & My Rights ……

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

Jasonsne wrote:very funny guys, im guessing you'r from the Jeep lobby :D

but nasser you think JK is better than FJ in standard form??
There is no objective answer to that questions, it may get very emotional. Best is to find out for yourself by testdriving both of them and then you can take the one you feel more comfortable with driving and owning it :D

For me personal: I voted for the JK, even though it is smaller, but I did not like the poor visibility in the FJ and I also did not feel comfortable sidesloping, like my Prado I always have the feeling to roll over any second. But as said, this is very personal, you may feel different.

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

xof wrote:not better: different.

FJ will reach it's limit earlier (but you can still do a lot without mods).

Be aware that Toyota in Abu Dhabi is reluctant with any mods and that they take this opportunity for voiding the warranty if you change anything... (Ask modified FJ owners).

But again, you want to drive a lot on road... so... GO FJ. Just be fully aware of the ins and outs. Anyway, i think you had made your choice before asking :wink:
XOF now you are on the right track. can get yopu a sweet deal on an FJ whenevr you are ready :D :mrgreen:
Chase your dreams and Crest the Dunes in Style

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

xof wrote:not better: different.

For off road, stock, you'll be able to go harder with a JK (better clearance, better tyres). FJ will reach it's limit earlier (but you can still do a lot without mods).

PS : for the price of a new FJ, you can have a new JK unlimited (4doors) + exhaust + air intake + good lift kit and better rims and tyres... all made in Western motors and under warranty... But don't expect to average more than 130/140 on the AUH-DXB commuting...
Wasif, i know this is typical from the press and media people to take a few lines out of their context and manipulate the content of a speech... so if you quote me, please quote 100% or don't quote me Then you will see that my advices for Jason are :

either buy 2 second hand cars (a TJ and a road car),
or a JK Unlimited and for the difference of cost between an overpriced FJ and the JK, to upgrade it.

GOLD

Post by GOLD »

I have fj its done 100 000km its good but Prado is the best

Pierre
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pierre »

I am a happy FJ owner, fully stock. It's doing great offroad. But definitely the option of 2 cars instead of 1 is a good option to have easier life in case of maintennace / repair, and going down the line of modification without back thoughts. I don't think that the 2 cars option can be cheaper than the 1 car solution (insurance, repair on older car, etc...).

For FJ visibility, the taller you are, the worse it is (and can speak about that being 1.96). It is a 2 seat car unless you are forced to carry more people.

Pierre

Nasser
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nasser »

In addition to what Mike has quoted, no way, u cannot compare stock FJ and JK :oops: . The JK requires some modifications to extract that extra torque from the engine. :twisted: In the JK, the exhaust system is clogged with catalyctic converters, 4 of them to be precise :cry: . Get rid of two, add a few mods here and there and whooohaaaa, it will breathe, it will fly, it will outperform the FJ on the dunes :D :lol: :lol:
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2014 in Dune Shade ~~~~For Sale~~~~
Nasser Al Karby - 0506668026

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

the FJ is a great car both on read & off Road
badRolls LC all are good but non can give the option to go convertible for fun driving both on & offroad…. And to be able to modifiy it to be unique as much as a JK,,

so it’s a matter of need and tast !!!

your decision & money!!

maddog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by maddog »

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but time to wade in.

As you can see from the variety of responses on here, its a very personal thing, and emotion and personal pride tend to get in the way and blur any objective feedback. One mans hack is another mans dream wagon.

MooD is about the only one here really qualified to comment, as he's owned and driven extensively both Jeep and FJ. Admittedly his Jeep wasn't a JK, so even his experience is not fully aligned with your question.

All I'm gonna say, is I absolutely love my FJ, and wouldn't even dream of changing it.
Citius, Altius, Fortius - Swifter, Higher, Stronger
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
maddog@ad4x4.com

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

Nasser wrote:

In addition to what Mike has quoted, no way, u cannot compare stock FJ and JK :oops: . The JK requires some modifications to extract that extra torque from the engine. :twisted: In the JK, the exhaust system is clogged with catalyctic converters, 4 of them to be precise :cry: . Get rid of two, add a few mods here and there and whooohaaaa, it will breathe, it will fly, it will outperform the FJ on the dunes :D :lol: :lol:

Nasser can you imagin what would happen if those two out of the standard four Cats are removed on an FJ ???
Chase your dreams and Crest the Dunes in Style

meinich
Advanced
Advanced

Post by meinich »

The FJ is a gr8 car and handles well on road and off road. Comfortable enough for a long trip to Muscat with a detour in a wadi or a short ride to the mall. Off road weekend in Liwa or a spin in the sand one evening. I miss my old FJ :D !

Good luck!
2010 Jeep JK
2010 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia

Jasonsne

Post by Jasonsne »

Thanks for all of the advice guys, this good point has really muddied the waters though:
The only thing is I already started to mod the liberty, and as soon as you start you cant stop...... really dont want to go down this road again but it has got me thinking, that if I get this all done straight off the bat........

Anyway im traveling a lot with work over the next few weeks, but ill let you know what happens.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Jason, you'll do the same with the FJ as soon as you see the one of Maddog and of Kalemero...

You will want air intake, new rims, skid plates, lift kit... etc... as you said, when you start...

Nabs

Post by Nabs »

am I the only one who doesnt have visibility issues with the FJ?