Difference in 4x4 Cars?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
Serge
Advanced
Advanced

Difference in 4x4 Cars?

Post by Serge »

Im looking for thouse knowing people here who can explain me:

Got friends prooving thet a Murano, or even X5 will do offroad (sand) better than my lil Jimny... (the proof of this is engine size)

Other person says.. he will get a Kia Sportage to be able offroading - i suggsted him to take something different. Got a reply saysn something like - Why? U got a 1.3 engine and going offroad... and Sportage is a 2.0L ... so has to do it even better.

I've tryed to explain about car weight compare to engine size, the base lenght, clearence... etc...

But what are the real differences? Lets simply compare at least Sorento Vs Jimny?

I know what i've just write is a mess... so if not understandeble... let me know.. will try to retype in other words:)
Serge
Mobile: 055 222 71 70
Other Hobby: HAM Radio - A65BU

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Difference in 4x4 Cars?

Post by Xof »

you're question is like asking what is the difference between a cat and a dog... :mrgreen: they are both animals after all? :twisted:

As already stated : 4 whell drive does not mean off road (a Porsche Carerra 4 is a 4wd, but not off road). A Sport Utility Vehicle does not mean Off road vehicle. (X6 is a SUV, Ford Edge, etc...)

As you says, it's a question of what purpose the vehicle is designed for. Then clearance, mechanic (transmission, engine), power, weight, etc...

Even Off road needs to be defined. A very good car for the sand will be useless in Rock, or in mud, or on the tarmac.

Now do your homeworks. :ad4x4:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

You need cars with Lower range gears and not only all wheel drive cars.
Clearance is also important
Engines not a problems
Driver
After saying that People are driving Subaru's on the sands dunes ,,,,,,,,,,Man??
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Serge
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Serge »

xof wrote:you're question is like asking what is the difference between a cat and a dog... :mrgreen: they are both animals after all? :twisted:

As already stated : 4 whell drive does not mean off road (a Porsche Carerra 4 is a 4wd, but not off road). A Sport Utility Vehicle does not mean Off road vehicle. (X6 is a SUV, Ford Edge, etc...)

As you says, it's a question of what purpose the vehicle is designed for. Then clearance, mechanic (transmission, engine), power, weight, etc...

Even Off road needs to be defined. A very good car for the sand will be useless in Rock, or in mud, or on the tarmac.

Now do your homeworks. :ad4x4:

Good one.. Cat and Dog:)

i was trying to explain it.. but i get smth like - It's 2L it got Lo and Hi swith... so it's capable to go offroad... .. (jumairah :D )
Serge
Mobile: 055 222 71 70
Other Hobby: HAM Radio - A65BU

Mero
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mero »

As Iguana said before, Peaple are paying mony on the infinity, Murano, X5, Escalade etc.. thinking they are buying 4x4 cars then they ofcourse buy this car go to Jabel Ali beach and tell you they are experienced offroader and have stronger 4x4 car.. :) .

Murano for example, All wheel drive and not 4x4 and can not go offroads and full of plastic. I had Kia sporatge 6 cyl. 2.7L and i was able to drive it in the beach sand only because the 4x4 system switches automaticaly to front wheel drive in speed 40KM 8O.
___oooo__
[l_,o[____]o,
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)=0=)_)

BONS AND SKULL 2001 (TJ 2001)

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

To add for the above.. maintenance!!
try to go off-road with an X5 .. then take it to agency for maintenance!!!!
plus the cost of modifying these cars to perform off roads... its' crazy!!