Minimum newbie car?

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
desertfun

Minimum newbie car?

Post by desertfun »

What is the minimum car requirement for joining a newbie trip? As in, would a Honda CRV be enough, or a RAV4, Tucson?

Reason for asking is I am thinking of buying a new car to go dune bashing with. First choice would be Wrangler Unlimited, but it seems this is not a comfortable car for daily commute, so I am looking into a cheap alternative for daily commute yet allows me to participate in newbie trips until I have money enough to buy the real thing :D

Tucson or CRV is quite affordable, but will it do on newbie trips? Also, are second hand cars an option or would you recommend against this because the climate is so brutal?

Thanks
"No dude, your SUV is not a Jeep, and my Jeep is not a SUV!"
- - -
MOPAR Performance 2" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - MOPAR Off-Road Front Bumper - MOPAR XD9000i Self-Recovery Winch - MOPAR Off-Road Oval Fog Lamps - MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bumper - MOPAR Off-Road Tire Carrier - MOPAR Steering and Swaybar Skid Plate - MOPAR 6.5" Round Off-Road Lights - MOPAR Rubber Floor Liner Kit - MOPAR Handle Grab - MOPAR Door Sill Guards - V-Cool window tinting - Garmin GPS 276C - Maxtrax sand ladder - 4.88 regear - Teraflex front axle sleeve - Detroit Truetrac front locker

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Minimum newbie car?

Post by Xof »

the minimum requirement would be :
- recovery point front and back (the tow point you screw in the body is not a recovery point).
- 4x4 wheel drive
- Seat belts front and back.

recommended :
- insurance that includes off road (AXA or additional with IATAC)
- mixed tyres. (vs road only tyres).

What will happen with SUV (opposed to off road cars) :
- you will damage your front and back bumper.
- you will get stuck because of poor clearance of car and lack of power and grip.
- you will get frustrated not to be able to go where you want to go.
- you will sell it and by a wrangler. :mrgreen:

But for easy newbie drive, it can be ok.

My personal view :
on second hand, you can find cheap toys, far much capable than the one you proposed (pajero, wrangler TJ, cherokee, pathfinder...) No need to pay high price. Split your budget for a recent saloon car for the week and a big boy toy for the friday trips.

JK for commuting : depend on the distance. I have a JK that i'm using daily (that is my sole car). But i would not do AUH DXB return trip daily with it.

For same budget than new JK Unlimitted : Pajero 3.8, Xterra, Cherokee liberty would be more advisable and good for long distance

Hope this helps. Give us your budget for more info and check on dubizzle to find cheap cars.

ps: what's wrong with the climate? :?:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

desertfun

Post by desertfun »

Merci Xof for your detailed reply, much appreciated. The commute to/from work will be Dubai mostly, so maybe I should go directly for a Wrangler. I got a quote from the UAE dealer for an Unlimited with navigation and leather for 124K AED, which would be doable for me with a 2 year car loan. Leather would be nicer for on-road, and I guess you could always buy a cloth cover for off-road to prevent sliding off your leather seat while driving the desert :)

Still worried about the AC, in a reply to another posting, Belbassiouni wrote that the AC is not very strong for on-road, would that be your experience as well?

As for climate, i heard that cars don't last long in Dubai because of the influence of heat and salt?

Apologies if these questions are not relevant to the newbie forum, be happy to take it off-line, but then again, your insight might help others who are in similar position as I am.

Thanks!
- - -
MOPAR Performance 2" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - MOPAR Off-Road Front Bumper - MOPAR XD9000i Self-Recovery Winch - MOPAR Off-Road Oval Fog Lamps - MOPAR Off-Road Rear Bumper - MOPAR Off-Road Tire Carrier - MOPAR Steering and Swaybar Skid Plate - MOPAR 6.5" Round Off-Road Lights - MOPAR Rubber Floor Liner Kit - MOPAR Handle Grab - MOPAR Door Sill Guards - V-Cool window tinting - Garmin GPS 276C - Maxtrax sand ladder - 4.88 regear - Teraflex front axle sleeve - Detroit Truetrac front locker

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

JEEB :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chase your dreams and Crest the Dunes in Style

Serge
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Serge »

desertfun wrote:Merci Xof for your detailed reply, much appreciated. The commute to/from work will be Dubai mostly, so maybe I should go directly for a Wrangler. I got a quote from the UAE dealer for an Unlimited with navigation and leather for 124K AED, which would be doable for me with a 2 year car loan. Leather would be nicer for on-road, and I guess you could always buy a cloth cover for off-road to prevent sliding off your leather seat while driving the desert :)

Still worried about the AC, in a reply to another posting, Belbassiouni wrote that the AC is not very strong for on-road, would that be your experience as well?

As for climate, i heard that cars don't last long in Dubai because of the influence of heat and salt?

Apologies if these questions are not relevant to the newbie forum, be happy to take it off-line, but then again, your insight might help others who are in similar position as I am.

Thanks!
... Dont take unlimited... if you need a big car get better - Pajero 3.8, Xterra, Cherokee liberty , pathfinder
If you want wrangler - it has to be SWB :) or or else it no more a wrangler.
Serge
Mobile: 055 222 71 70
Other Hobby: HAM Radio - A65BU

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

desertfun wrote:Merci Xof for your detailed reply, much appreciated. The commute to/from work will be Dubai mostly, so maybe I should go directly for a Wrangler. I got a quote from the UAE dealer for an Unlimited with navigation and leather for 124K AED, which would be doable for me with a 2 year car loan. Leather would be nicer for on-road, and I guess you could always buy a cloth cover for off-road to prevent sliding off your leather seat while driving the desert :) this is your choice. If this is your dream car, go for it! for this budget, you actually have choice. Navigation will not replace a real GPS. Leather... i was not aware there was leather seat in JK!

Still worried about the AC, in a reply to another posting, Belbassiouni wrote that the AC is not very strong for on-road, would that be your experience as well? THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH AC IN JK. the issue is that the hard top is spraying the heat on the top of your skull. There is no insulation. This is easy to fix by buying from AEV in Dubai the 3M insulation kit (very efficient).

As for climate, i heard that cars don't last long in Dubai because of the influence of heat and salt? as much as in California, Marseille or Alexandria... And in snow country too due to road salt...

Apologies if these questions are not relevant to the newbie forum, be happy to take it off-line, but then again, your insight might help others who are in similar position as I am. You are right... it is usefull for everybody... though, The good place would have been Chit chat, or Pit stop

Thanks!
cheers.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

desertfun

Post by desertfun »

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!

BTW, I took a test drive on mostly highway in a Wrangler Sahara SWB, and I was amazed by how comfortable the ride was. Guess no surprise for someone who's first car was a Lada 1200 :)
- - -

Serge
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Serge »

desertfun wrote:Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!

BTW, I took a test drive on mostly highway in a Wrangler Sahara SWB, and I was amazed by how comfortable the ride was. Guess no surprise for someone who's first car was a Lada 1200 :)
LOL - yes Jeep will sure be more comfy :D Even my jimny is a full comfort compare to lets say Niva :D
Serge
Mobile: 055 222 71 70
Other Hobby: HAM Radio - A65BU

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

I moved the topic to help for more answers....

Jo
The lunatics have taken over the asylum