Tj roof rack, back rack or tyre carrier

Itemas wanted and Group Orders
Grant-b
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Grant-b »

Off to do some serious camping with the family but the tj is just too small to fit people and gear inside. So I need creative ways of getting the kit outside the car. It has a hardtop and looking for ways to fit carriers without the full frames that are usually utilised to attach racks to the body

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

Blackbird has roof bars on his tj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Tj roof rack, back rack or tyre carrier

Post by tillybean »

Hi

I have this which I bought for my Jeep but never installed. I am not sure if it would fit yours, but it probably should. If you are interested, then send me a PM.

http://www.wildernessracks.com/jeep/tra ... ngler.html

Sam
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

BlackBird
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by BlackBird »

Grant,
I have RhinoRacks on my TJ.
I bought the rails for the JKU as they are longer (the recommended ones for the TJ are comically short). I got the bars that are recommended for the width of the vehicle, which are just okay for two kayaks, but I could have gone wider.
They are very solid, and I had no problem with two singles and one double kayak on the roof (though perhaps not a great idea for a long trip!).
The RhinoRacks are a little costly, but very professional and will last forever (and of course being on rails you can adjust the separation of the bars to suit your requirements).
cheers,
Nigel
having a motor-less moment, it's not good
M: +966 50 566 1003

Grant-b
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Grant-b »

Ok sounds like a couple a decent options, are the rails screwed directly through the hardtop? Water penetration not an issue here luckily I guess. The thing I intend to put on the roof are fairly light so should be ok.

Tillybeam, the back rack looks like a good option actually and might well be enough on its own, is your rack for a tj? Even if not then with some minor mods it might be ok? I will fire you a pm.

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

Grant-b wrote:Ok sounds like a couple a decent options, are the rails screwed directly through the hardtop? Water penetration not an issue here luckily I guess. The thing I intend to put on the roof are fairly light so should be ok.

Tillybeam, the back rack looks like a good option actually and might well be enough on its own, is your rack for a tj? Even if not then with some minor mods it might be ok? I will fire you a pm.
Got it and replied.

Sam
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

BlackBird
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by BlackBird »

Grant,
do you not wash your Jeep?
Okay, so it does not rain very often here, but I sometimes hose my Pony down!
Yes the rails are screwed directly through the roof, but the water sealing arrangement that they have is very good. Never seen even a drip.
cheers,
Nigel
having a motor-less moment, it's not good
M: +966 50 566 1003