Spring Compressor

Itemas wanted and Group Orders
Fredoz

Spring Compressor

Post by Fredoz »

Hi All,
Would anyone have a spring compressor I could borrow for a week-end?
I'm giving the Disco a bit of a lift before fitting the larger tyres.

Cheers

Fred

Tom
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Spring Compressor

Post by Tom »

Fred:

I have a spring compressor that I used for my Defender 90. You are welcome to borrow it. It will take some digging to find so won't be able to have ready until Friday. Call me. 050 619 8700

Tom

PR

Post by PR »

I also have a spring compressor you can use, if Tom can't find his. However, I don't lend tools out anymore but you're more than welcome to come use it at my place (Al Ain). So I guess that's not very useful in the end!! LOL

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

PR wrote:I also have a spring compressor you can use, if Tom can't find his. However, I don't lend tools out anymore but you're more than welcome to come use it at my place (Al Ain). So I guess that's not very useful in the end!! LOL
I may take you up on that one buddy. I have some lower bumpstop exstensions to fit and could do with an experienced hand with the job. What do you say? :? :D
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

PR

Post by PR »

Sure thing! At your disposal almost any evening of the week, and then any weekend I'm not out. We can do it in my garage - covered but no A/C, though! So early morning or evening are best times. I have jacks, jackstands and the spring compressors. Let's say 30 minutes per wheel?

What we'll do is lift the axle with a jack to compress the coil spring, and then tighten the spring compressors following it, making sure they are even on both sides. Then we slowly lower the jack and we'll see the spring stay compressed. Then we pop it out.

Possible dangers: the compressed spring can hurt if it slips, so we must make 100% sure the spring compressors are opposite each other in order to balance the force of the spring trying to extend itself. Other than that, the usual wheel chocks and jackstands because we'll need the wheel off. (maybe not?)

Difficulty: if done correctly, this should be easy. You can help by giving the bolts a good cleaning if they're covered in crud (wire brush), and a little spraying of WD-40 is always good beforehand. That way we won't be applying force with an extension bar when the wheel's off.

Here's a write-up: 12mm bolts - http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/sharedinst ... bzjxj.html

Piece of cake!

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

Cheers buddy, it isn't the spacers though, I had them fitted a while ago, it's these http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_43X_PG.htm
They go on the inside of the spring, we would need to first compress the spring, then undo the spring retainging clip on teh spring seat, the release the pressure, remove the wheel, drill a hole into the base of the spring seat (there is a small indent which is the right size) then bolt on the bump stop extension. Then same on the other side and reverse to reassemble.
Thanks though mate, it will probably be after the 8th of october as I will have a week off work then so I can call round one Friday or Saturday if you like. :ad4x4:
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

PR

Post by PR »

OK< cool

I'll have to ask you to bring your own drill bit, as the only decent steel ones I have are 5mm and 8mm and they are extra-long (for drilling out a broken stud deep in the block of a Jaguar!).