ATTENTION ALL BLACKBERRY USERS

Birthdays, Celebrations etc...
TINTIN

ATTENTION ALL BLACKBERRY USERS

Post by TINTIN »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8161190.stm
I am not sure if this report has been seen by anybody in the UAE as it is a UK news report, but it basically says that the application which caused havoc with the blackberry phones recently was unauthorized by the manufacturer (Research In Motion). This basically allowed Etisalat to view and download your private messages and files from your phone to their database for viewing when ever they liked.
If this is not a breach of human rghts I do not know what is.
Be carefull all you Blackberry owners. :|
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

Xtreme
Advanced
Advanced

Re: ATTENTION ALL BLACKBERRY USERS

Post by Xtreme »

Thanks Tintin,
you are absolutely right, this is a scandal for etisalat, treating their customers in this untrusted way.
I think this case will not pass by easily, everybody is talking about it worldwide.
I have also posted a related link before if anybody wants to check it.
http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7257
Take care all
:cheers1:
You will never never Know, If You never never Go.
Xtreme (aka Rober Raouf)
Black Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 2005 3.0L with 2" Old Man Emu
Mob.: +971 50 811 9940

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

Hi Guys.

This news has been on the front pages of all major UAE newspapers around mid of last week. The shamefull part is that Etisalat got caught doing something unpardonable but has not offered any apology.

The reason businessmen all over the world prefer to use the Blackberry is the encription and security provided by their servers. So by offering this patch Etisalat was trying to take away the main USP for RIM and their devices. This move is unprecedneted by any service provider anywhere in the world and would land the provider in court in any other country.

This incident brings to mind yet again the fact that "Big Brother is watching your every move".

It was interesting to see RIM denounce the patch and Etisalat by issuing a press release without first consulting Etisalat.

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

I see whagt your saying Wasif, I hope that the interest was in favour of the BBC as Etisalat have no right to claim any neglegence on the part of teh BBC as they first broke the code of trust thus forfeiting their rights to a fair and appropriate portrayal in the world news.
:D
050 880 2485
with stuff

And more to come.

Nasser
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nasser »

wasifahmed wrote:Hi Guys.

This news has been on the front pages of all major UAE newspapers around mid of last week. The shamefull part is that Etisalat got caught doing something unpardonable but has not offered any apology.

The reason businessmen all over the world prefer to use the Blackberry is the encription and security provided by their servers. So by offering this patch Etisalat was trying to take away the main USP for RIM and their devices. This move is unprecedneted by any service provider anywhere in the world and would land the provider in court in any other country.

This incident brings to mind yet again the fact that "Big Brother is watching your every move".

It was interesting to see RIM denounce the patch and Etisalat by issuing a press release without first consulting Etisalat.
I am not trying to defend Etisalat here, but hey guys, this is common everywhere in the world. In fact, there were cases of blackmail that were proven by retrieving SMS msgs from the servers. Only the proper authorities have the right to dig in for the sole purpose of solving crimes, and as long as you consider yourself a law abiding individual, you need not worry at all. WHAT DO U HAVE TO HIDE :?: :roll:

It was unfortunate for Etisalat that the patch did not perform correctly. They should have tested it first.

Please note that I am neither an Etisalat employee nor do I hold any Etisalat stocks :( but I strongly support all measures required to facilitate law enforcement agencies get down to the bottom of THAT MATTER and root out the criminals :evil:
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2014 in Dune Shade ~~~~For Sale~~~~
Nasser Al Karby - 0506668026

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

Hi Nasser.

what you are saying is true but you need to look at it another way.

Businessmen use the Blackberry knowing it is secure and nobody has unauthorised access for transmitting data that is propriatory and is confidentcial which if it was to fall in the wrong hands would hurt their business.

Nowhere in the world, perhaps with the exception of North Korea, is it legal for any service provider to have this kind of access. It is not what one is trying to hide but its about secure business communications thats all.

On another note Etisalat was trying to plant a back door access on their customers devices actually hiding it in what was dubbed a "performance enhansing" patch. Now if there was nothing wrong with the interception software why then did Etisalat have to hide it.

Now when it has been disclose why do you think they are keeping quiet on this. Its only because its wrong on their part to have tried this in the first place.

All said law enforcement may be improved with access to these sort of devices but then you open up another major possibility of leakage of confidential business data. This is the reason it is not allowed in any other country.

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

Wow, fair play Wasif. I have to say I agree with you on this one. It is not fair for them to call it one thing and it is actually another. I guess if they would have said it is an upgrade which alows them to track the information sent and received from a device then this is acceptable as the user can choose whether or not to use it.
But they did not, the lied to the customer and try to scam their way into the pivate work and PERSONAL lives of them. This is breaches Human Rights laws in any country, no matter what the screening being done is. At least in Korea they are honest when they do it, they tell you to your face, but cheating customers who pay good money to use a service which could actually have an adverse effect on the way they run their business and lives is just wrong.

Over. :D
050 880 2485
with stuff

And more to come.

Nasser
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Nasser »

Like every one else, I am against invasion of privacy. But this depends entirely on who invades my privacy and why. What good will it serve the employee of Etisalat to know about my cyber activity, SMS messages or phone calls? :roll: At least the authorities will have a direction to go to in their investigations. :idea:

As regards to confidential business information, it is up to the company to ensure that such information is securely sent or stored. :wink: Any information sent via cyberspace can be intercepted one way or another. :twisted:

People, we live in the 21st century, technology has advanced to new frontiers and this is affecting our personal secrets. 8O As long as our secrets are not illegal, why should we worry? :oops: I would certainly be alarmed if the authorities do not know what is going on. :?

To put matters to rest, every one has their point of view. Tony and Wasif, I truly respect your genuine concerns. :cry: The foregoing represents my point of view. :mrgreen:

Over and out :D
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2014 in Dune Shade ~~~~For Sale~~~~
Nasser Al Karby - 0506668026

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

Excellent, so we agree to disagree. Thats what I like :wink:
050 880 2485
with stuff

And more to come.

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

The UAE Government or the Police are authorities ...

Etisalat is not a law enforcement agency ... it is a profit driven company ... and has no business poking around peoples private or company information!

wasifahmed

Post by wasifahmed »

Bulls Eye on this