CAR REVIEW: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Chit Chat about general subjects.
konradh

CAR REVIEW: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Post by konradh »

PASADENA, CALIFORNIA- The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the latest vehicle to get a high-performance makeover from Chrysler's SRT department, and just like the other ten limited-production SRT models, the idea here is "go big, or go home." The Grand Cherokee SRT8 gets a big engine, big wheels and tires, big brakes, and big styling.

Naturally, the keynote is the SRT-engineered, 420-hp, 6.1-liter version of the Hemi V-8, some 90 hp more powerful than the Grand Cherokee's customary 5.7-liter Hemi V-8. The twenty-inch, forged aluminum wheels carry wide 255/45WR-20 Goodyear Eagle RS-A run-flat tires in the front and even wider 285/40WR-20s in the rear. Meanwhile, Brembo brakes with 14.2-inch front rotors burn off the speed.

Steering wheel view of a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
This is a vehicle of daunting weight, some 4788 pounds of it, yet it lays down some daunting performance numbers, too. It gets to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, runs the quarter-mile in 14.0 seconds at 105 mph, and scrambles around a skid pad pulling 0.89 g. Of course, what purpose does a 155-mph SUV serve? we asked ourselves while plunging into turn 8 at Willow Springs International Raceway at 110 mph, our knees quaking in terror.

The answer came when we drove over the Angeles Forest Highway. It was drizzling, and the roads were slick and strewn with gravel. We were surprised to discover that the SRT8's revised suspension has dramatically improved the composure of the Grand Cherokee, so it steers accurately into the corners, maintains control over bumps without pitching or weaving, and yet doesn't feel harsh or heavy-footed over broken pavement. And the combination of a fast-acting, electrically controlled transfer case and a performance-tuned stability control system helped the SRT8 get the most from its all-wheel-drive system on the slippery pavement.

This Jeep is meant for long-distance, all-weather highway travel, not off-road adventures. It fills the same niche as a big, fast sedan, except that it has a more passenger-friendly package than its rivals. And its ability to maintain a measure of all-around utility helps keep the Grand Cherokee SRT8 from seeming as one-dimensional as other fast sport-utility vehicles.

Does the world need a 155-mph sport-utility? Oddly enough, the answer depends on the utility part of the equation, not the sport.

Engine: 6.1L V-8, 420 hp, 420 lb-ft
Drive: 4-wheel

**article taken from www.automobilemag.com**

adiga
Deputy Chairman & Co founder
Deputy Chairman & Co founder

Post by adiga »

:roll: Nice one !! but it's not my style :wink: 8O
“Do for this life as if you live forever,
do for the afterlife as if you die tomorrow”

Abo Omar
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Abo Omar »

Very luxurious ,,,, doesn't have the off-road look......

BUT it s still a Jeep , fun to drive.............

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

Abo Omar wrote:Very luxurious ,,,, doesn't have the off-road look......

I saw one of those in a showroom in dubai, i started it, you should listen to it, it was very nice. Its built for street use only, low profile tyres and its AWD, no L level 4x4 system.
goes from 0 to 100 in less than 5 seconds, they were asking for 230k.

surfer
Advanced
Advanced

Post by surfer »

Abo Omar wrote:Very luxurious ,,,, doesn't have the off-road look......

I saw one of those in a showroom in dubai, i started it, you should listen to it, it was very nice. Its built for street use only, low profile tyres and its AWD, no L level 4x4 system.
goes from 0 to 100 in less than 5 seconds, they were asking for 230k.

Kalemero

Post by Kalemero »

to be exact 4.9 seconds

if you brought it from the US it will cost you 190k cheaper :D:D:D:D:D

man its a bullet in the road . but i dont think it fits the offroad
Zee Godzilla
15 Nissan SWB Fully modified & Ready

Its my way or the high way :D

Abo Omar
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Abo Omar »

It could be my dream car when i have a family but for now I LIKE MY WRANGLER dude... :mrgreen:
Omar Kamel-Member # 007