Which one to buy - Jeep advice

Chit Chat about general subjects.
Chappers

Which one to buy - Jeep advice

Post by Chappers »

Hey Guys,

So some more advice needed please.

Have me an option to buy my friends 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Don't know much about it apart from its done 110km, has aftermarket alloys and tyres. Only hard top available. He wants 30k for it. I'm going to have the thing checked out at western motors before purchase and can post some pictures if that helps you guys to help me.

Now an interesting option has popped up on Dubizzle. Its a 2001 Jeep Wrangler for 15k AEd - Link http://tnydu.biz/DOr1Yt

Its half the price but is it half the car?

Confused as to which one to go for as cost is an Issue for me but 30k is still well in my budget.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Which one to buy - Jeep advice

Post by scotchyl »

Stick with the TJ. this one on dubizzle is a YJ and therefore the parts will be more expensive and harder to get hold of. There is someone on the site called Bio who has one and I am sure he can assist.

Registering this YJ in Muroor is also likely to be a nightmare as the metal bumpers, wide wheels and low fender flares means they will probably fail it until you get them to a more stock level.

Personally i would stick with the TJ, and interested to see pictures for sure. We may even know it :)
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Will trust your advice Scotchyl and thank you again for being so helpful. Definitely a burger on my bbq for you once I get out on a trip! :)

I actually work with the guy I'm buying it off. He's selling it as he is going home and it was parked in the car park so here we go;

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

My guess that yellow YJ will be rough and may cost you more over time - TJ should be more capable offroad and reliable, parts and mods cheaper and more readily available.
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scotchyl »

Looks like a nice car from outside and stock bumpers and fenders will make registration a breeze.

Mechanically I am sure WM will have a good look (ps there is always the WM express lane on airport road if you dont fancy going to musafah)
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

mamoun
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mamoun »

Chappers wrote:Will trust your advice Scotchyl and thank you again for being so helpful. Definitely a burger on my bbq for you once I get out on a trip! :)

I actually work with the guy I'm buying it off. He's selling it as he is going home and it was parked in the car park so here we go;

is it Dan Hoskins TJ?
+971509988737
Stock JKU

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

No bud my mate Dave owns it. However he did get it from motor city/world about 4 months ago so could have come from him?!

scotchyl wrote:Looks like a nice car from outside and stock bumpers and fenders will make registration a breeze.

Mechanically I am sure WM will have a good look (ps there is always the WM express lane on airport road if you dont fancy going to musafah)
That's where I was planning to take it, the one on airport road. Can see some oil coming from the box on the drive shaft which im not happy about. However she's an old girl so some leaks are expected.

Going to mention the club and what I intended to do with her so hopefully they will give it a proper going over!

Do you guys know what I should be paying them to poke around or do they inspect for free like?

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

So far its a good choice with 2006, it runs nicely as long you do proper maintenance and follow up in professional workshop my advice WM, and running 2005 manual done 185k i wont sell it for 50k with the mods on it of-course.
either workshop airport road or musaffah they will do the needful
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Excellent lads cheers!

As long as WM don't flag up anything majorly wrong I will go ahead with my purchase. Hopefully will have it in a weeks time!

Next questions will be around mods as I love to tinker :)

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Sooo another question.

Just been smashing in the detail on AXA website and they reckon its only worth between 21k AED. I'm looking at paying 30k. Is the price I'm paying to much or is it fair if the cars is mechanically sound?

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

In addition to the above and as others have mentioned to me previously I can only get third party insurance. Now none of these are offering off-road (Axa,rsa) or recovery from off road (only asked RSA that).

I kind of need this cover I thought? Can someone tell me if I'm wrong or how I can get if needed?

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

4x4 older than a certain age do not get off road cover anymore from those popular insurances like AXA, RSA ... last year I lost offroad cover for my beloved 2006 TJ as well!

TJ values prices are higher than insurances are ready to admit ... they see the YJs and JKs and think TJs must fit linearly in between ... LOL

The market is asking (and getting) higher prices for TJs because it seems clean ones are very demanded. You can get JK's (2007+) for the same or lower prices than TJs at the moment.

And yes ... the breed of real tough street legal offroad toys is getting extinct ... A light TJ with a trouble free 4.0 inline 6 is a very good and robust fun toy (in comparison)!
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Thanks SSS,

I've gone ahead with the purchase.

However its already in the garage (hopefully with nothing wrong) as the previous owner had let the radiator run dry and it overheated on the way home....

He`s picking up the bill though so that's a bonus I guess!

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Bulldozer »

so what is the feedback about the TJ
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded