Shipping a car to the US

Chit Chat about general subjects.
Idaho
Advanced
Advanced

Shipping a car to the US

Post by Idaho »

Hello,

I'm considering options for my car if I end up not selling it in the next 30 days. I really love my Jeep Wrangler 2009 and would consider shipping it back to the US rather then cut the price too much. Does anyone have direct experience shipping to or from the US that would be willing to give me some advice?

Thanks.

Brian Shurtliff - 506154559

Georges
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Shipping a car to the US

Post by Georges »

Brian,

I have no experience on this topic but just wanted to say I am sad to see you leaving and it was great being on trips with you. Good luck.
Cheers
Georges
JKU 2014
Mob: 0559740888

Bu Shahid
Marshal
Marshal

Shipping a car to the US

Post by Bu Shahid »

Check with CodeRed he did the other way around from US to UAE
Might help
All the best

Bu Shahid (Firas), Black FJ, 055 923 0066
Bu Shahid (Firas)
055 923 0066
Black FJ Cruiser

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

The process here is easy and available on the gov website.

BUT, you will have some documents to get first from US embassy, you will need to get all your papers translated from Arabic to US, and no idea about what happen to get it in USA.

Eventually, just get in touch with any shipping company (eg ISS inchcape) they can take care of it 100%.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Ray1
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ray1 »

Hi Brian,

Leader Relocations were very good when we shipped a container back to Scotland last year - they also deal with vehicles so maybe worth a look, seems they deal with whole process and paperwork and link up with local partners in other countries for customs clearance etc.

Our contact at Leader was Hari +971554316112.

Best of luck to you and your family :)
Ray

Pajero DiD, 0551868100

Idaho
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Idaho »

Gerge wrote:Brian,

I have no experience on this topic but just wanted to say I am sad to see you leaving and it was great being on trips with you. Good luck.
Thanks Gerge. I'm sad to be leaving also. All good things come to an end. Hopefully I'll see you out there on a trip or two over the next month. I'm trying to maximize my trip before I go.

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Code Red »

Sorry to hear you are leaving Brian.

It was pretty painless shipping a US vehicle to the UAE, but I don't know what the process will be for importing it to the US. The shippers may be able to help you out with it. The specs and equipment seem to be almost identical except for marker lights and bumpers, but they are close enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if the emissions equipment is the same, but it appears to be. That, and the import taxes, would be my biggest concern.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Allan
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Allan »

Sorry to hear you are leaving us Brian.

It is normally not recommendable to ship cars from one part of the world to another. However, this being a US manufactured JK swith GCC specifications, it should be pretty straight forward.

I would suggest you contact the vehicle inspection department in the city/state you are moving to, informing them of the chassis number of your JK, they should then fairly easily be able to reply to you. At least that's how it works in Europe.

For shipment, I have in the past had good experience using GAC. They have done my last 4-5 moves error free.

All the best
Allan
JK
056 174 4147

waqmaster
Marshal
Marshal

Post by waqmaster »

if GCC spec car too much headache to make it US / DOT compliant. Emissions standards are different, speedo should mph vs kph, etc if car is value less than AED 100k, i don't recommend the relocation.

Bomolin
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Bomolin »

Well being very surprised with the easy processs that is mentioned above. I will be more concern what could happens if when shifted the car from UAE to US ( straight forward proccess as discussed above, just a matter of $$$ seems like) you realize local authorities does not allowed you to register the car for several issues. At least in Europe, vehicle needs to strictly comply with europeans specifications in terns of emisions, fuel and so, which I belive a car with 20l/100 km will never do, have heard that the safeties way is when you purchase a car is to obtain a " European shifting certificate" that mainly only few EU manufacturers do where dealership guaranteed your car can be shifted to europe based on specifications. I belive is like day and nigth to compare a shifting of a vehicle from Us to UAE ( conditions are being dictated by UAE, and all we know what that means) and from UAE to US ( rules based on US requirements) same comparing EU to US.

I belive what Allan said is the safeties way but not 100% error free ( " sorry your exhaust exceed the diameter or Co2" or " sorry your car value is 30% lower than here, you were not specting specs are the same werent you" or " sorry the person who told you is allowed just left the company")

Wish you you are able to sell the car, trust me being sold a JK Pentastar 2012 Manual at Aed 69.000 with 86.000 km, the right price will make your car go. The wrong price will make you worry and at the end, the difference between right price and wrong price when you convert it to Dollars makes only US 1500 but give you long nights without sleep.
"The Dolphin V2" JKU17
OIIIO
Jeep Jeep!