Is your Radio (Wakie Talkie) legal?

Chit Chat about general subjects.
talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Hi,

From the first day I joined the club, one of the key requirement is to use a 2-way radio (wakie talkie). I had several discussions with different marshals and they all confirmed that its ok to use it off-road! As an official license holder of armature radio, I went back and confirmed the following with the TRA and EARS the two organizations responsible for licensing spectrums in UAE and below are the findings:

- The use of 2-way radio is only permitted to persons holding a license
- Persons holding a license should only use VHF frequency (144- 146 MHz)

I noticed that none in the club is holding a license, not only that, but the club is using UHF frequency (450 - 470) which is allocated for Government use as per the TRA frequency allocation.

I am not sure about the violation which I am getting confirmation on, but for sure if you do not hold a license your radio will be taken away and there is a possibility of AED10,000 (to be confirmed).

I am not posting this to scare anyone, but its my duty as AD4x4 member to let you know the facts. In order to get a license, you can check with EARS.AE or call them and they will give you all the details. There is a 3-day training ending with an exam that you will need to pass in order to get the license.

Thanks and regards,
Tariq

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

Our Motorola radios is using the FRS frequencies which are also used by the baby toys and monitors. There is no official law which prohibit the use of such channels. Otherwise, you will need a license to use a baby monitor.

AD4x4 have it's official CB radio channel and license which is only given to the club Marshals to use it on Marshal CB radios.

Usage of Walkie Talkie in the city is not allowed for security reason not because of the frequency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

This is exactly the same answer that I get from the Marshals which I confirmed to be not correct. Anyways, I just felt that it's my duty to inform you.
Thank you.

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Just got a confirmation that the fine is 50k and a possibility of 3 months Jail. Try buying the radio from the Motorola shop ( not in Dragon) see if they will sell you without a license also trying showing your radio at any check point even if it's off. See if they will allow you. My friend at the Hatta check point told me it's illegal, TRA laws says it's illegal, EARS laws says it's illegal. I am not sure where you are getting such information. Please tell me so that I can correct my information.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

We have a legal license for our CB Radios - FRS series channels are not illegal - these are the same channel for kids radios which you can buy from Toys R Us - go toToys R Us and they will not ask you for a license - GRMS channels are The illegal ones.

I said radios are considered illegal for security reasons not for licensing reasons. The ones that requires license and you will be fined with 50K + 3 months Jail are the CB radios which we already have individual license for each Marshal - you cannot use an unauthorized CB with our channel.

We are using less than 5W powered radios which are the same as the baby monitors that you get from Mother Care.

However, we always inform the members that carrying a Walkie Talkie is not legal and it is at your own risk and responsibility.

If you want to be 100% legal and safe, go and apply for a license.

Bulldozer
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Is your Radio (Wakie Talkie) legal?

Post by Bulldozer »

talbahri wrote:Just got a confirmation that the fine is 50k and a possibility of 3 months Jail. Try buying the radio from the Motorola shop ( not in Dragon) see if they will sell you without a license also trying showing your radio at any check point even if it's off. See if they will allow you. My friend at the Hatta check point told me it's illegal, TRA laws says it's illegal, EARS laws says it's illegal. I am not sure where you are getting such information. Please tell me so that I can correct my information.

we are not here to prove anything, Mr Tariq if you don't want simply don't use it, when a Marshal says something that didn't come from nothing.
Thanks for your feedback about this subject
Life is too Short, nothing to argue about, specially with closed minded

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Guys,
I am just starting a fact. If you see something wrong, you will try to correct it. This is all what I am trying to do. I like the club and want the best for it. I respect everyone's opinion. By the way, I have been in few trips, no one mentioned carrying a walkie talkie on my own risk.
I am sorry if I raised something that I should have not.
Iguana what is your CB Radio code?

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Sign code I mean

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

I do not know what is my CB Code - all I know is that it is licensed from TRA - Equipment number IC-F111VHF - Icom - 15W TP

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

And my dear - we are not a company, we are a Free website - doing everything here is at your own risk and responsibility.

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Thank you. My dear a sign code is like a nickname. Each person holding a license gets a nickname that consist of letters an numbers. It's a unique personal identifier. If you don't have it. Then you do not have a license to operate any CB or walkie talkie anywhere, not only UAE. Anyway, thanks for giving me the opportunity to express my views.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

This is not an Amateur CB license - AD4x4 have it's own licensed channel. License Cards are given by TRA for each Individual CB. The license includes the CB holder name and car details as well.

It seems that you are are reading the wrong book or forum or asking the wrong persons about wrong information.

We are the only club that have a dedicated Chanel and a special license from TRA in Abu Dhabi. Not from Sharjah.

Please re-check your information and next time come back with a professional answer. Read well before you reply and make a fuss about something that you do not know.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

This is to enhance your knowledge about FRS Frequencies
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Man. Take it easy. Why are you upset? The link you shared is not for region 1 (includes UAE) it's for the USA. Can you PM me the club license in order for me to correct my knowledge? Thanks. And please don't think that am fussing or intending any harm.

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

I just read the law. This band is allocated for government use in UAE. If you want I can PM you the full document. I will stop here as I don't see any value of upsetting you. Take care and see you in the desert soon brother