Walkie Talkies confiscated at border. Now what?

Chit Chat about general subjects.
AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

Hello all,

I was driving back from Jebel Shams this past weekend and was stopped at the checkpoint reentering the UAE.

The customs officer stopped me and asked me to step outside, then went directly to the center console where I keep my GPS and walkie talkies. He handed them over to his boss who told me that I had 6 months to pick it up from the border once I got some approval from some telecoms authority in the Khalidia area of Abu Dhabi.

They were polite and nice about it. He didn't ask me why I had them, but he checked the serial numbers on them and I suppose possibly registered them with me or something.

Does anyone know if this is a major concern? I'm just trying to determine whether going back for those walkie talkies is risky or not. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:
Completed ANIT 21/12/2012
Newbie: 13 Intermediate: 11

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Abuhalawa

Post by Abuhalawa »

Hi AmruAbbas

Yes this happened to me before, I ordered Walkie Talkies form USA and when shipment arrived I went to post office to collect it but shipment went to customs and confiscated, I called friends to ask if it's possible to take approval from telecoms and ministry of interior , he told me to don't ask for it and it's risky .

Abuhalawa
Nissan R50
Abuhalawa
Toyota 4Runner

OVERHEAT TEAM- SCOUTS FIRST RUNNERS- DesNav 2016
10th Anniversary Organizing
Organizing 2016-2017 season opening party

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Walkie Talkies confiscated at border. Now what?

Post by Gladiator »

Forgot about them... Go to Dragon mart buy new once,, then next time once you are out of Sand hid them ,, don't keep then on your car dash for display,,,

:mrgreen:
Gladiator
-------------------------------

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

Abuhalawa wrote:Hi AmruAbbas

Yes this happened to me before, I ordered Walkie Talkies form USA and when shipment arrived I went to post office to collect it but shipment went to customs and confiscated, I called friends to ask if it's possible to take approval from telecoms and ministry of interior , he told me to don't ask for it and it's risky .

You can get them licenses buy TRA. They will charge you 600 / device,, means you have to pay 1200dh,, not worth it,, go buy it at 250dh from Dragon mart !!

Abuhalawa
Nissan R50
Gladiator

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED

AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

Thanks guys.

Gladiator, could there be any potential issues with getting the licenses, or is it simply a matter of money? Would they cause any trouble? Is there any fun to doing this?
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:
Completed ANIT 21/12/2012
Newbie: 13 Intermediate: 11

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Gladiator
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Gladiator »

AmruAbbas wrote:Thanks guys.

Gladiator, could there be any potential issues with getting the licenses, or is it simply a matter of money? Would they cause any trouble? Is there any fun to doing this?

No it happen with me once before. I got a device from Canada in which was confiscated,, I went to TRA. At 1st they refused then agreed on charges of 1200 for device (A+B ). I refused,,
You don't need a license. As far as you put it away as soon as you are out of Sand,,

Up to you
Gladiator

NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF
WALK AWAY WHEN REQUIRED