RB project Updates

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Re: RB project Updates

Post by ossme »

SSS wrote:Hala Osama, keeeeewwwwwwlll !!! 8-)
ME LIKE

but small question: are you keeping the rear fender well stock? Aren't you going to install the NEW rear flares on the same level as the NEW front ones?
As far as I know Laurie (Oman4x4) did have to cut/trim the rear wheel openings to fit 35" tires without them contatcting the body metal under suspension compression ... lots of reports and pics out there how to do it.
The AEV flares fit on different location than the stock flares. It is like running without Fender flares. Some cutting will be necessary, but I can only do this after fitting the flares and tires. :)
SSS wrote: and : your 12.5 wide tires on 4" backspacing rims will stick slightly more than an inch out from under the AEV 5.75" wide flares!
To have complete tire coverage you need 6.75" flares. (and the 7" rugged ridge or warn flares do NOT fit and are too short for the extended wheel opening ... different form of opening as well!) Or you need to run 10.5 tires which are not avail in 35" ... only in 33" (and then your wheel opening will be toooooo big and the guys will complain about tire to flare distance)
oman4x4 had the same wheel and tire size and he was fine. I believe that the same thing will apply to me.

In fact, I think my wheels have less back spacing. So, I might need some spacers ! :mrgreen:
SSS wrote: oh ... and remove those side steps ... they will cause trouble with 35" in the rear!
lol, I just noticed this. i don't think that they will rub the tires. But I'm planning to change them because they look ugly. :mrgreen:

still, not one of my main priorities right now.. :) Worst case scenario ? I will remove them and drive without side steps for a while! :lol:
Last edited by ossme on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Sean wrote:as always...nice work, well done.. :D
MalteJK wrote:Now it begins to shine :D
tillybean wrote:Awesome. This project is coming together and looking fab.
Thanks guys/girl ! :mrgreen:

Stay tuned for the end results ! 8-)
tillybean wrote:PS - just incase you hadnt noticed, you need seats inside to sit on :lol: Just saying......you have been so busy with the DANA or your diffs or which engine/suspension/something else so technical I have no idea that maybe you forgot you need a seat or two.

JOKE!
I was planning to do "arabic style" floor seats ! :mrgreen:

The stock seats are not that comfortable. So, I'm looking forward to replacing them ! :|

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

yeah ... the tread maybe is covered ... but the sidewall not if you look from above down ... we are talking about 2.5 cm ... maybe muroor critical cms? :lol: ;)
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

tillybean
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tillybean »

What options are there for seats? A quick google and I like the look of the Corbeau Baja XRS or XP Susp.
Tillybean / Sam

050 130 2128

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

The Baja XRS are nice.

But I was thinking about something that is more comfy ... :D

Vader
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Vader »

roooo7! those look sick man!

nice job on the paint too :D looking forward to seeing the rest, are you gonna be in the workshop today ?
راعي الربع

Vader
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Vader »

love the look of the FX1 Pro but have never sat in one and dont know how comfortable it is.

What about getting out if there's a flip, would it be difficult to get out of ?

Thinking of a harness belt ? 8-)
راعي الربع

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Vader wrote:roooo7! those look sick man!

nice job on the paint too :D looking forward to seeing the rest, are you gonna be in the workshop today ?
thanks !

I'm going to pass by today to pickup and the wheels and tires and take them for installation.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Vader wrote:love the look of the FX1 Pro but have never sat in one and dont know how comfortable it is.

What about getting out if there's a flip, would it be difficult to get out of ?

Thinking of a harness belt ? 8-)

The Recaro seats are best to get in and out. They are also the most comfy and offer enough support for offroading. That is why I like them.

For the seat belts, I'm keeping the stock seatbelts. They proved to be good enough for most cases so no need to change them. I'm planning to improve the roll cage somehow. But I don't want to do anything that push buttons during the registration.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

So, here is today's update with some good news ! :cool: and few bad news ! :(

Here is where the truck is currently at:

The fenders are not fully installed yet, but this should give you a clear idea of how the final product will look like.

I also decided to upgrade my clutch to Center Force Dual Friction.
Some people like it, many hates it. Let us see what happens after the installation.

Here is where the bad news starts.

First, I got my new 35" tires mounted on the wheels.

The problem ? I forgot to tell the installers to install the black letters on the outside.
I'm now debating between keeping it as is or lose some money and send it back to be flipped.

The second problem is this

What you see is the AEV Nth Tummy Tucker. What are those blue dots? those where the bolts mount on the frame. You can see that those does not align. I tried it on another Jeep and it seems to be the same issue. :(

The box have a "new" part number (nth24070AA) and the production date is very recent (1/12/2012). Could this be a manufacturer defect? :?:

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Some updates:

After a chat with Greg from AEV. It seems that this is:

"Just one of the variations the Jeeps enjoy to make our lives more interesting..."
Greg Henderson,

Solution? Use a High lift Jack to spread the chassis just enough to fit the bolts. Easy solution, Thanks Greg ! :okie:

IDO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by IDO »

your project is moving along nicely, but one thing for sure your RB loos funny with the small tires.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

IDO wrote:your project is moving along nicely, but one thing for sure your RB loos funny with the small tires.
like a big body builders with chicken legs ! :lol:

IDO
Advanced
Advanced

Post by IDO »

so RB will be ready for some sand in mid may

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

it might be as soon as this weekend ! ;)

But ANIT drives only ! :lol:

Next week I might join a couple of newbie trips to check that everything is working as planned. :geek:

So yes, @ Mid may I will be joining Intermediate trips ! :D