Prothane progressive bump stops write up

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

Re: Prothane progressive bump stops write up

Post by Hani AMJ »

I'm working together with Ranger to have a full kit for TJ's & Nissan Patrols. JK will follow soon. the kit will include all parts and labor for having them installed in ranger workshop.

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

me buy! :D

Hani, talking about ranger, if i bring him the recaro type seats i have, can he do the bracket and instalaltion?
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

Post by Hani AMJ »

Xof wrote:me buy! :D

Hani, talking about ranger, if i bring him the recaro type seats i have, can he do the bracket and installation?
i believe so, the other day i was there installing king shocks on a a GMC sierra and one of his staff helped me fabricate a brackets for the reservoir. a bracket for your seats should be doable.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

anTrax wrote:I'm working together with Ranger to have a full kit for TJ's & Nissan Patrols. JK will follow soon. the kit will include all parts and labor for having them installed in ranger workshop.
I'm going to be the first customer! :mrgreen: Please keep us updated! 8-)
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

ossme wrote:
anTrax wrote:I'm working together with Ranger to have a full kit for TJ's & Nissan Patrols. JK will follow soon. the kit will include all parts and labor for having them installed in ranger workshop.
I'm going to be the first customer! :mrgreen: Please keep us updated! 8-)
Even if i'm repeating myself ... pls put me into the "us" for beeing updated as well :mrgreen:
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

burn_e

Post by burn_e »

When are you guys planning to place an order for the inserts?

I would be interested in a set for my Range Rover Classic. Would need just the inserts!

Thanks
B

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Alright guys ... here some more Jeep Wrangler TJ specific stuff :mrgreen: :

Prothane coil spring inserts for TJ revision 2 ... for 2-4" lifts :twisted:
20121106_174752_scaled.jpg
(A very similar mounting variation of the Prothanes was first developed and applied by AnTrax/Hani on Nissan Patrols and Wrangler JKs! He did a first test of basically this design on Moe's TJ ... And I am very thankful that he managed to fabricate and install the above latest Revision on my TJ ... as workshop manager of Princess Cars here in Abu Dhabi! :sunny: )

prothane revision 2 ready for action
Alright, front "stamps" rattle canned silver and mounted with allen head screws to the front. Prothane inserts resting "floating" on the lower spring pads:
prothane_rev2_front_driver_2.jpg
note the uptravel of the 5160 shock at 2.75" lift (2" OME HD plus 0.75" spacer) ... (5")! in relation to the gap on top of the 4 prothane rings ... I would say juuusst right

... and the tricky rear. We had to expand the rear springs a bit to slide the cups in between the passes. Then the 4-ring prothane, then inserted the springs into position with all stuff loose in there. THEN mounted the cup to the upper spring plate. THEN pressed and levered the prothane insert into the cups, which where 4mm smaller in ID than the OD of the prothanes. Some grease was helpful to get them in.
prothane_rev2_rear_driver_2.jpg

note the T&T rear spring plate relocators which gave me 1.25" additional lift on my 2" OME HD springs in the rear (total of 3.25" ... which is juust right for the rake, which gets much smaller with full gas tank plus 40l gas in the orfab mounted rear gerry cans )

and before anyone asks ... here are the part numbers for the 5160 shocks:
front: TJ 3" lift Bilstein 5160 25-193114
rear : TJ 3" lift Bilstein 5160 25-193145
took about 4 months to get them ...
AND first impression:
They ride much softer (yet controlled!) than expected!
I was afraid I can feel every single crack in the pavement ... NOT THE CASE WITH THOSE PART NUMBERS!

... and here is how sluggy is sitting today:
sluggyReadyForAction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SSS on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

charo
Advanced
Advanced

Prothane progressive bump stops write up

Post by charo »

Waw I love technics . I am Suppost to add feedback about the bump stop but they haven't reached me yet .

mamoun
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mamoun »

thank you chafik for sharing, you are the best :)
+971509988737
Stock JKU

AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

Wow. I just got through all the posts... it was like a technical slap in the face in the manufacturing and usage of bump stops. Awesome work guys :)

So from what i understand, bump stops are meant to prevent damage from bottoming out. It seems to be a pretty easy add-on and is taken as a precautionary measure.

From the way you guys are talking about it seems to be making the suspension more forgiving on some of your cars... is this the case? Or am I over-thinking its purpose?
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:
Completed ANIT 21/12/2012
Newbie: 13 Intermediate: 11

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

AmruAbbas wrote:Wow. I just got through all the posts... it was like a technical slap in the face in the manufacturing and usage of bump stops. Awesome work guys :)

So from what i understand, bump stops are meant to prevent damage from bottoming out. It seems to be a pretty easy add-on and is taken as a precautionary measure.

From the way you guys are talking about it seems to be making the suspension more forgiving on some of your cars... is this the case? Or am I over-thinking its purpose?
:mrgreen:
Bump stop extensions over stock
- protect shocks if shock body in stock mounting position is compressed longer than stock shock!
- protect coils from "overcompression" ... e.g. with coil over spacers you need to limit the coil compression with the same amount bump stop extension!
- prevent tire to fender contact ... if you use bigger tires!

Now ideally you match shock body size and tire size so that you need MINIMAL bump stop extension ... e.g. my 33" tires need 1.5" bumpstop extension to keep them from rubbing the fenders! "Coincidentally" my shocks (compressed!) are 1.5" longer than stock as well :mrgreen: (most longer travel shocks than stock are even 2"++ longer :? ... BUT NOT MINE ... hehehe)

Usually people/dealers do it the cheap way and install hard blocks or spacers as bump stop extension ... quite abrupt and uncomfortable bumps can occur doing high speed dune bashing. (The cheapest way of not bothering about bump stop extensions is actually the most expensive one .... lol ... people keep replacing parts)

The high end rigs use hydraulic bump stops (similar to small much more robust shocks without rebound damping)!

I started to use those cheap polyurethane micro cell foam inserts which act as soft bump stops ... waaay more comfortable than the hard variant and still protecting everything (after having found the right dimensions ;) )

Hope this makes things a bit clearer ...

c u
SSS

AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

SSS wrote:
AmruAbbas wrote:Wow. I just got through all the posts... it was like a technical slap in the face in the manufacturing and usage of bump stops. Awesome work guys :)

:mrgreen:
Bump stop extensions over stock
- protect shocks if shock body in stock mounting position is compressed longer than stock shock!
- protect coils from "overcompression" ... e.g. with coil over spacers you need to limit the coil compression with the same amount bump stop extension!
- prevent tire to fender contact ... if you use bigger tires!

Now ideally you match shock body size and tire size so that you need MINIMAL bump stop extension ... e.g. my 33" tires need 1.5" bumpstop extension to keep them from rubbing the fenders! "Coincidentally" my shocks (compressed!) are 1.5" longer than stock as well :mrgreen: (most longer travel shocks than stock are even 2"++ longer :? ... BUT NOT MINE ... hehehe)

Usually people/dealers do it the cheap way and install hard blocks or spacers as bump stop extension ... quite abrupt and uncomfortable bumps can occur doing high speed dune bashing. (The cheapest way of not bothering about bump stop extensions is actually the most expensive one .... lol ... people keep replacing parts)

The high end rigs use hydraulic bump stops (similar to small much more robust shocks without rebound damping)!

I started to use those cheap polyurethane micro cell foam inserts which act as soft bump stops ... waaay more comfortable than the hard variant and still protecting everything (after having found the right dimensions ;) )

Hope this makes things a bit clearer ...

c u
SSS
Thanks for the info SSS!

I have done some offroading (outside of AD4x4) for a little while and my car is completely stock. However it seems that this is something that even a stock car could benefit from. Would you recommend that I get the bumpstops on a stock car? I am not planning on any upgrades in the immediate future.
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

AmruAbbas wrote: ...

Thanks for the info SSS!

I have done some offroading (outside of AD4x4) for a little while and my car is completely stock. However it seems that this is something that even a stock car could benefit from. Would you recommend that I get the bumpstops on a stock car? I am not planning on any upgrades in the immediate future.
doable ... if you do not limit the small stock up travel you have too much ... (removal/modification of the stock bump stops? shorter prothane inserts?)
But as you can see I described the mounting on a TJ ... you have a JK with a quite different bump stop set up ... I would ask AnTrax/Hani who meanwhile is workshop manager at Princess Cars ... he has done several JKs and can tell you more for this vehicle :)

ciao
Chafik

AmruAbbas
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AmruAbbas »

SSS wrote:
AmruAbbas wrote: ...

Thanks for the info SSS!

doable ... if you do not limit the small stock up travel you have too much ... (removal/modification of the stock bump stops? shorter prothane inserts?)
But as you can see I described the mounting on a TJ ... you have a JK with a quite different bump stop set up ... I would ask AnTrax/Hani who meanwhile is workshop manager at Princess Cars ... he has done several JKs and can tell you more for this vehicle :)

ciao
Chafik
Thanksk Chafik. Where can i get the number from?
Contact Number:
050 492 1161

Trip Log:

mamoun
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mamoun »

Antrax or Hani