Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Project economic JK

Post by ossme »

Nissan Axles ?! 4.56 ?! 37 tires ?? :shock:
You are over doing it man .. :oops:

Personally, I had problems with Nissan axles. They are not as "Bomp proof" as people say they are. :?

I personally never heard of 47 spline Nissan axles. I thought that Nissan axles were more like in between 27 and 32 splines depending on the model. Maybe, they ment the Ring tooth count ?. :?
47 ring and 11 pinion will count to 4.27 gear ratio which was available in some Nissan Models...

I strongly believe that a well built Dana 44 with ARB or Detroit locker and 35 spline axles can handle your setup even with 37" tires. 8-)
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Update :

after i brought the car back to 7p on Saturday, i spent the whole day with them...
And while they're fixing all the open issues, i had a lot of time chattering and thinking about what to do
and at what costs.

For the Nissan Axles - i don't know which Axles from which model Hisham is referring to ...
he only told me about a monstertruck on 55'' tires he built and some drag racing cars using the same rear
axles and so on.
Since i didn't had internet in his garage, i could not proof or search by myself.
But what is true is, that costwise it can't be a good decision to change the front to nissan, because then
i'd to change too much again (passenger side drop) ...
It is a bit tempting, because the nissan transfer case is smaller and HD - so this would open the possibility to
move the engine a bit to the rear. It's fitment is a bit tight now...

So the plan for now:
Get a D44 Front & enforce it properly, enforce the rear afterwards (chromoly axle shafts, 35 spline, 4,56 R & P both)
Hisham is searching all around where to find one.

For the rest :
The timing belt cut the cai on the downside (we didn't saw this that evening ... that was why the air sensor was getting wrong data ... and the engine wasn't starting like it should)
Got a new Cai and a bigger filter now as well (twice the size :twisted: :twisted: ) .
The engine oil level measurement thingy is also relocated so i don't need to jump above the engine bay and use both hands and a lot of power to check the oil level :D ..
I got a new front driveshaft - that way all the crazy noise disappeared in 2wd & 4wd ...
The gearbox is now also shifting nice, even after restart and didn't go into limb mode (engine and gearbox communicate - so it was because of the CAI problem) ...

4wd is working without any problems...
The Tachometer signal emulator is ordered from Novak, now i need to find out about the pinout and protocol of the Gauge Cluster and Chryslers Can bus ... to solve the remaining like engine light, battery, alternator and so on (looks a bit like a christmas tree a lot of blinking :D )

Sad thing only ... after coming back to dubai and stopping at a friends place to have a chat, the car refused to start and the starter only got hot and gave a "clack" noise ... and doesn't start cranking ...
So i'll dismantle it afterworks in dubai somewhere and check it - maybe replace it.

So far (except for the not-starting) - it's really getting there.
Fuel consumption is still a bit too much ( around 35 liters / 100km :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) but i think for this there's something wrong - maybe too big injectors...

At least the car should be able to drive to Liwa without having to stop for a refill :D
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:Update :

after i brought the car back to 7p on Saturday, i spent the whole day with them...
And while they're fixing all the open issues, i had a lot of time chattering and thinking about what to do
and at what costs.

So the plan for now:
Get a D44 Front & enforce it properly, enforce the rear afterwards (chromoly axle shafts, 35 spline, 4,56 R & P both)
Hisham is searching all around where to find one.
maybe you should ask Seamutt ... he got a good deal from WM for a new D44 front housing which they built up properly ... costwise still below a built Dynatrac ProRock HD but same qualities (if not better)

For the rest :
The timing belt cut the cai on the downside (we didn't saw this that evening ... that was why the air sensor was getting wrong data ... and the engine wasn't starting like it should)
Got a new Cai and a bigger filter now as well (twice the size :twisted: :twisted: ) .
The engine oil level measurement thingy is also relocated so i don't need to jump above the engine bay and use both hands and a lot of power to check the oil level :D ..
I got a new front driveshaft - that way all the crazy noise disappeared in 2wd & 4wd ...
The gearbox is now also shifting nice, even after restart and didn't go into limb mode (engine and gearbox communicate - so it was because of the CAI problem) ...
good news ... all small and minor shxx! :)

4wd is working without any problems...
The Tachometer signal emulator is ordered from Novak, now i need to find out about the pinout and protocol of the Gauge Cluster and Chryslers Can bus ... to solve the remaining like engine light, battery, alternator and so on (looks a bit like a christmas tree a lot of blinking :D )
The tach emu box takes the CPK signal in parallel to the GM PCM(needed there as well!) and feeds it (converted) to the Jeep PCM!The Jeep PCM is in charge of the dashboard and has all logic built in to speak the right CAN protocol. Do not attempt to hack between Jeep PCM and dashboard. Let the Jeep PCM drive the dashboard properly by providing the needed sensor info to the Jeep PCM.

Sad thing only ... after coming back to dubai and stopping at a friends place to have a chat, the car refused to start and the starter only got hot and gave a "clack" noise ... and doesn't start cranking ...
So i'll dismantle it afterworks in dubai somewhere and check it - maybe replace it.
check exhaust pipe to starter clearance! too close and it gets too hot! heatshield on that section exhaust pipe might help in the future!

So far (except for the not-starting) - it's really getting there.
Fuel consumption is still a bit too much ( around 35 liters / 100km :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) but i think for this there's something wrong - maybe too big injectors...
why bigger injectors? stock this engine already is plenty! I would guess it is running too rich ... performance tweaks in the PCM programming? (yuck!) ... header leak before first o2 sensors? This engine should be more fuel saving in your JK than in its heavy donor!!! Big tires ... high gearing? The engine has power ... but having a higher than necessary gear ratio will cause you to press harder to turn the chunky 33" tires ... more fuel consumption! (with 3.73 and 33" I was using more fuel than with 4.88 and 33" !)

At least the car should be able to drive to Liwa without having to stop for a refill :D
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote: maybe you should ask Seamutt ... he got a good deal from WM for a new D44 front housing which they built up properly ... costwise still below a built Dynatrac ProRock HD but same qualities (if not better)
I'll check that.

The tach emu box takes the CPK signal in parallel to the GM PCM(needed there as well!) and feeds it (converted) to the Jeep PCM!The Jeep PCM is in charge of the dashboard and has all logic built in to speak the right CAN protocol. Do not attempt to hack between Jeep PCM and dashboard. Let the Jeep PCM drive the dashboard properly by providing the needed sensor info to the Jeep PCM.
Sure i'll try to do so as often as possible ... with the temperature sensor we did it already - the ls3 has place for 2 ... so one is now
for the new pcm and one for the jeep pcm ;) ...
The Speedsensors are also still working. But i.e. the chrysler alternator had a sensor build in, the gmc one doesn't have and so on ...
Some things are just only visible to the new pcm, so it might be needed, to get it out of it and tell it the jeep pcm about it ;) ..
Usually CAN Bus systems are not that difficult to emulate. So i will not cut something on the original gauge - i'll prefer having the original sensors as well, too. But if not possible, tell the gauge controller about the new values ;)

check exhaust pipe to starter clearance! too close and it gets too hot! heatshield on that section exhaust pipe might help in the future!
I checked already, there's plenty of space ( min. 10-15cm )

why bigger injectors? stock this engine already is plenty! I would guess it is running too rich ... performance tweaks in the PCM programming? (yuck!) ... header leak before first o2 sensors? This engine should be more fuel saving in your JK than in its heavy donor!!! Big tires ... high gearing? The engine has power ... but having a higher than necessary gear ratio will cause you to press harder to turn the chunky 33" tires ... more fuel consumption! (with 3.73 and 33" I was using more fuel than with 4.88 and 33" !)
i meant the injectors might be too big! Not bigger :D ... And yes - i'm also assuming the engine is running too lean.
But i need a good workshop which can check that ... ( 7p does not have the equipment to reprogram and so on ... )

c.b.

grzegorz

Post by grzegorz »

I've seen it today and heard. It is really monster. Acceleration and sound can blow your mind ;)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Hehe i tried it yesterday a bit in soft sand ...
It's amazing. My 2wd will be just enough for most of the trips from now on :-) ...

In 4wd im idling through the sand in 4hi (all without deflating) - where before i had to put 4lo to keep it going.

Let's say even if this car has still a lot of stuff to do and correct and the engine needs a proper tune ...
(It's running too rich i think - my exhaust got a bit black ;) ... )
I like it. Most missing things now :

Manual shifting mode
Anybody knows about a shifter which has the manual mode shifting ( + & - ) not on the D position but one after D (like S or M sometimes ) ?

Because the 6l80e is most used in cars with paddles for manual shifting ... so it's either i find paddles or a matching shifter.

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

well ... it seems it is NOT straightforward :| , but there is a way :

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... L90e-6L80e

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote:well ... it seems it is NOT straightforward :| , but there is a way :

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.p ... L90e-6L80e
Yeah! Found one - thx Chafik!

The pontiac G6 shifter is exactly what i need ;) ... now let's try to get one :D

c.b.

latief
Advanced
Advanced

Post by latief »

you should call this car Frankenstein .....Wait! that name is taken isn't it? :D
2008 Wrangler JK
056-7148747

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

latief wrote:you should call this car Frankenstein .....Wait! that name is taken isn't it? :D
hrrr you should hear it first then think about the idea...
I think Frankenstein is too harmless :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Besides that ... well ...
Corvette Engine with Camaro SS Camshaft, Lumina SS : powersteering pump, alternator and A/C pump ...
Current Shifter : G8 ... 2nd Car PCM : Corvette...
Gearbox : Escalade ...

Let's see what comes next *g*

c.b.

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

HEY MALTE, SSTILL NEED TI SHOUT...... UR BEAST IS TOOOOOOOOO LOUD :)
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

hehehe ... Malte will call his creation "Axl Rose" :mrgreen:

I will call mine "Billy Gibbons" 8-)
(going with sanderson shorty blockhugger headers, magnaflow metallic spun cats, magnaflow x-pipe and magnaflow 12588 2in1 muffler ... deep and throaty)

Malte what muffler/exhaust config are you using behind your custom long tube headers? The smallest Flowmaster without cats? :lol:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Hehe ...

yes actually the Cat is missing *g* ...
I still have my dbPerformance (http://www.dbexhaust.com/product_locator_jeep.aspx) Catback ...
But this one is really just straight ... so a bit loud :D .
I will check how to change it after i put the 2nd fuel tank below the car - because i'll need to redo the pipes
then anyway i think.

@jo it's just because my car likes to frighten other cars a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:Hehe ...

yes actually the Cat is missing *g* ...
I still have my dbPerformance (http://www.dbexhaust.com/product_locator_jeep.aspx) Catback ...
But this one is really just straight ... so a bit loud :D .
I will check how to change it after i put the 2nd fuel tank below the car - because i'll need to redo the pipes
then anyway i think.

@jo it's just because my car likes to frighten other cars a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: CORSA sound ... even on the 6 cylinder it was already "loud" (yuck):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxdWA7k5ok

this is the 22" magnaflow on a similar setup like my coming 8-) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Un2ox0Svlo

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

After seeing Malte project at the workshop and hearing the roaring sound I got so much tempted to the V8 engine swap, but readin/skimming through the hassle and integration issues makes me step back for a while and wait for the success story and best combination before I take any decission at that level.

One major concern that annoys me on the same subject is the traffic police annual inspection, even if you have clearance on the Engine swap with proper chassis mounts, I wonder how will the headers and loud roaring pass !!!!!!

Above all is the total cost $$$$$$$ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....