SSS's V8 swap project ... THE THUNDER is alive

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: SSS's V8 swap project ... or just another bubble?

Post by Xof »

these are exactly the seats i want!
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Xof wrote:these are exactly the seats i want!
Those are Sparco seats. You can easily find them in UAE. I think they cost about AED800 each. :)
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

i know... my problem is not where or how much... but when! (f....g doha project! :evil: )

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

ossme wrote:
SSS wrote:3. well ... yeah i have to learn how to deal with the throttle again.
Not only you, you have to think about your pooor MOI driving that thing! :lol:

just to give you a tast of what your getting yourself into. Here is a video of a wrangler with LS1, 33 tires but without 4.88 gears !! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48bpnEV3sM
hmm ... you asked that guy about gear ratio ... but I cannot see his reponse.
(btw: his TH350 tranny is only 3spd with the 3rd at 1.0 ratio ... whereas the 4L60E has a 4th with 0.69)

His beast is running with COMPLETELY open headers ... and for sure hid did some easy to do pcm tuning :twisted:
with just high flow exhaust you can get 320 hp and with some pcm tweaking around 380 hp :shock:
The caprice LS1 is detuned to 300 hp by intake manifold (not CAI) , exhaust system, camshaft AND pcm!!!
MOST likely I am going to run a "mild" LS1 configuration ... even thinking about a "wife on road" switch under the dashboard :lol: to switch the pcm(?) or whatever to a limb mode , loooool ... or put a big potato in the CAI during the week :twisted:
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

SSS wrote: MOST likely I am going to run a "mild" LS1 configuration ... even thinking about a "wife on road" switch under the dashboard :lol: to switch the pcm(?) or whatever to a limb mode , loooool ... or put a big potato in the CAI during the week :twisted:
Lol thats the part i like the most :D ... first of all find a potato big enough for the 12cm diameter Air intake *g* ...
Maybe a can below the acceleration pedal will do as well ;)

But honestly ... the biggest problem could be : Your wife will love that new engine that much, that she will not let you drive it anymore at the weekend ... because it's urgently needed for shopping reasons :D
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

I believe that I do know that Jeep. But I posted a question just to make sure. If my memory serves right, that jeep only had 4.56. it only had some bolt ons but nothing fancy and the engine came from Lumina SS.

COME ON !! it is not fun buying that great engine and then purposely take it some of it's power away. A filter, chip, and exhaust will not kill anyone and will not cost you anything extra ! ;)

Regarding the gearbox, I'm not worried about the final ratio of the gearbox but about the first and second gear ratio.

Gear TH350 4L60E
1st 2.52 3.06
2nd 1.52 1.62
3rd 1.00 1.0
4th N/A 0.70

Your First gear is actually deeper! That + 4.88 gears + No traction control = your MOI spinning the rear wheels at every traffic light !! :?

Just imagine the policy officer's reaction when he catch her doing burnouts (something like :shock1: )!! :lol:

well, 35" tires should solve the problem,don't you think ?? :devill:

But it will be a crazy beast offroad that is for sure !! 8-)
Last edited by ossme on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Xof wrote:i know... my problem is not where or how much... but when! (f....g doha project! :evil: )
Oh, I always forget this ! :oops:

I hope that you didn't join any of the 2022 world cup's preparation projects because that will take 11 years to finish !! :lol:

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

ossme wrote:I believe that I do know that Jeep. But I posted a question just to make sure. If my memory serves right, that jeep only had 4.56. it only had some bolt ons but nothing fancy and the engine came from Lumina SS.

COME ON !! it is not fun buying that great engine and then purposely take it some of it's power away. A filter, chip, and exhaust will not kill anyone and will not cost you anything extra ! ;)

Regarding the gearbox, I'm not worried about the final ratio of the gearbox but about the first and second gear ratio.

Gear TH350 4L60E
1st 2.52 3.06
2nd 1.52 1.62
3rd 1.00 1.0
4th N/A 0.70

Your First gear is actually deeper! That + 4.88 gears + No traction control = your MOI spinning the rear wheels at every traffic light !! :?

Just imagine the policy officer's reaction when he catch her doing burnouts (something like :shock1: )!! :lol:

well, 35" tires should solve the problem,don't you think ?? :devill:

But it will be a crazy beast offroad that is for sure !! 8-)
I knew you would discover the 3.06 first gear ... I really knew it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
actually you are right ... but not doing the swap because I would have a tire burning 1st gear is not acceptable (for me) :twisted:
and as you said there is a solution ... but instead of going with 5 new 35" tires + 16" rims (for the bigger and then much needed brakes) + higher lift and more bump stop + brake line extensions + new tire carrier I would rather regear back to 4.10 or 4.56 AFTER breaking my r&p (most likely the front D30 with the standard cut smaller ring is prone to break)
regearing is MUCH cheaper than all the above listed mods needed for 35" BUT AFTER TESTING IT OUT and eventually breaking something :lol:
( and you know ... the front D30 R&Ps are always a candidate even without a V8 :roll: )

and regarding MOI spinning wheels at the traffic light ... fortunately it is only a automatic and I have a torsen LSD in the rear ... so she really has to give some gas to break BOTH tires loose ... and anyway the V8 and the auto will upshift to 2 and three quite early after starting to roll. (But yes there is some risk ... she is not the scared type and actually might like it ... my biggest concern :mrgreen: )

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

I don't miss any small detail my friend ! :twisted:

Aren't you already getting new brakes because of the LS1 swap ?? :roll:
Since you are "forced" to upgrade your brakes, then you are also forced to change you rims and tires! :ugeek:

But I wouldn't get 16" Rims because most of tires available for those are truck tires. :S 17" is what you need !! :twisted:
Otherwise, you can get the 15" brakes you showed me before. and get 35" tires on your current wheels ! :D

That + AEV highline kit and you should be set !! 8-) your current suspension lift setup + the highline kit + LS1 would be perfect for 35" tires ! :mrgreen:

Since you are already planning to butcher that poor D30, I think that 35 tires will make it faster and will make most use of your newer diffs !! :twisted:
This way, you will not need to change the rear diffs which means saving 3500 Dirhams (which you will use to get the 35" tires) ! :mrgreen:

Listen your devil friend and get 35 tires! after all, size DO matters !! :devill:

BTW: mopar started released the "Next generation" or "military spec" dana 44 and Dana 60 axles. They seem expensive, but I don't know if they are any stronger than the G2 or Dynatrac axles. :dono:

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Oh, and I'm sure that this going to happen at some point in the future: :mrgreen:

Sultan, a local young man and a Lancer Evolution owner, goes to visit his friend Khaled.

Sultan: Hi Khaled ! :(
Khaled: Hi Sultan ! what is wrong, you don't seem too well ! :?

Sultan: Well, there is something, But it is a bit imbaressing actually... :oops:
Khaled: Come on! you can tell me! I'm your BEST friend! :amigo:

Sultan: I got smoked by a lady driving an old Jeep !! :crayy:
Khaled: WHAT ??!! :shock:

Sultan: I'm not kidding, Please don't tell anyone ! :beg:
Khaled: HA HA HA HA !! :wahaha: WAIT UNTIL THE GUYS HEAR THIS !! :hahaha:
Khaled: YOU LOSER ! I TOLD YOU TO GET A REAL RACE CAR ! :beee: LIKE MY MUSTANG ! :coool:

So, next day Khaled visits Sultan for their usual business: :card:

Khaled: hey Sultan, was it a blue Jeep ? :shock1:
Sultan: I think so, was it driven by a lady ? :-?
Khaled: I don't know, I floored it BUT I WAS ONLY ABLE TO SEE THE BIG SPARE TIRE !!! :BE:

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

mh ... did i mentioned that my first gear with the 6L80E is a 4.06 : 1 :? :? ....
Good that i didn't regear so far ... so i'm still on 3,73 .

Guess we will have some interesting dune bashing events once we finished the swaps.
Btw. i just found a good radiator for my swap from http://www.novak-adapt.com/ they replied nice per mail
and have a HD radiator for the L92 which fits exactly the JK (and is rated for up tp 600HP ) .

For TJ's they have them as well ... really worth a look - and they also deliver to ME.
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:mh ... did i mentioned that my first gear with the 6L80E is a 4.06 : 1 :? :? ....
Good that i didn't regear so far ... so i'm still on 3,73 .

Guess we will have some interesting dune bashing events once we finished the swaps.
Btw. i just found a good radiator for my swap from http://www.novak-adapt.com/ they replied nice per mail
and have a HD radiator for the L92 which fits exactly the JK (and is rated for up tp 600HP ) .

For TJ's they have them as well ... really worth a look - and they also deliver to ME.
yup ... have been mailing with Eric a few times ... they are helpful but sometimes slow. Nevertheless, most of the stuff I am going to use is going to come from them ;)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Osama, bro!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wait until I tell my MOI you called her OLD lady :twisted:

you are right ... some more mods will be coming ... but let me start and see what the results are and then decide which way to go!

instead of doing the AEV highline I would rather save the 2000$ plus shipping plus painting and do THIS:
http://www.higherground4x4.com/2/diy-hi ... -for-cheap
1. I already have a heat reduction hood
2. I already have FULL tire coverage with my 7" fender flares ... they do NOT fit on the AEV kit and it comes with their own 5.65" fender flares ONLY
3. They have TRULY more clearance over the tire, because they lift the inner fender well as well ... have to check for clearance after the V8 is in though :|
4. Much cheaper typical Mussaffah job :mrgreen:

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

SSS wrote:
wait until I tell my MOI you called her OLD lady :twisted:
Hey now, I don't want to be the first person to get squashed by an LS1 Jeep ! :shock:

I said old jeep and NOT old lady ! :?