SSS's V8 swap project ... THE THUNDER is alive

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: SSS's V8 swap project ... or just another bubble?

Post by Xof »

sounds nice.

i have 6000AED of stuff on the way, and nothing for the engine!!! :lol:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

Sean wrote: @Malte, he'll probably do it in his living room and be on the road before either of us... :lol:
inshalla another day or 2, finalising tuning.....taking longer than expected :( twin exhaust looks good though :D
"Final Tuning" sounds really good! And for Chafik i bet he's doing it in the kitchen ... (more tools :D) - to be faster then your v8 build will be hard ... but he'll definitely is faster then me :( ...

@chafiq do you have a picture of these "magic" mounts from novak which do not appear on the website ?
I'm eager to see their magic :D ...
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:
Sean wrote: @Malte, he'll probably do it in his living room and be on the road before either of us... :lol:
inshalla another day or 2, finalising tuning.....taking longer than expected :( twin exhaust looks good though :D
"Final Tuning" sounds really good! And for Chafik i bet he's doing it in the kitchen ... (more tools :D) - to be faster then your v8 build will be hard ... but he'll definitely is faster then me :( ...

@chafiq do you have a picture of these "magic" mounts from novak which do not appear on the website ?
I'm eager to see their magic :D ...
huh? ... I am too slow, really!

And there is nothing magic on the Novak mounts, just clean and well engineered regarding the angles of weight/pressure and the drivetrain position (no driveshaft mods needed)! (But muroor could still complain ... because a small piece of the original horns is going to be shaved off and one additional hole to be drilled into the HORNS , NOT THE FRAME!!!)
If I have to avoid them Hisham could reuse the original rubber mounts of the TJ engine ... but the engine would sit MUCH higher and I am not sure about firewall clearance of the bell housing. So for sure HE might have to do some magic.

For pics : check out page 10/11 of attached pdf 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chafik the SilverSandSurfer
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know."
THE THUNDER Status: http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15808

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

for more pics of clean(!) conversion details/examples see the Novak provided pics below :shock1: :sun3:
6.0L LQ9 TJ.jpg
Intake, Fan, Radlock System - TJ.jpg
Intake & Upper Plumbing.JPG
Fan Installed.JPG
Fan & Shroud System.jpg
TJ 4L60E Shifter, Factory Console.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

FOR ALL LS1 conversion fans ... here the ultimate source of knowledge :mrgreen:
(btw : the Holden/Chevy caprice and Lumina LS1s match this description EXACTLY :twisted: since they are f-body/camaro type car engines!)

EDIT: the Holden/Chevy caprice/lumina LS1s have the stupid Holden front sump oil pan ... so either go with a baffled real f-body pan or with a H3 alpha truck oil pan :roll:
Last edited by SSS on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

Thanks ! 8-)

when are you going to start ?? :mrgreen:
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

MalteJK

SSS's V8 swap project ... or just another bubble?

Post by MalteJK »

Ok i have to admit, it really Looks nice & with a Lot of Place...

I don't have this much Place, because my tranny is muuuch bigger. But still mounted at the default places... So also for me the driveshafts and the Rest of the drivetrain Stays the same.

But this 5.7 ... I'm quit sure, These are the welded mounts... It sits very deep in the chassis and i'm almost sure this cannot be done while retaining the Stock mounts...
Last edited by MalteJK on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

ossme wrote:Thanks ! 8-)

when are you going to start ?? :mrgreen:
as said before ... donor vehicle I already have, pulled the trigger on some parts, still some other parts to be ordered, plan with start mounting everything together is somewhere week3 December - week1 January for max 2 weeks . So final result max week3 January ISA! :twisted:

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

MalteJK wrote:

But this 5.7 ... I'm quit sure, These are the welded mounts... It sits very deep in the chassis and i'm almost sure this cannot be done while retaining the Stock mounts...
NOPE ... look at page 10 of the pdf and check the title/product description. The MMTJ-G6 are BOLT ON ... NO welding at all!
On some of the photos you can see them bolted on btw...
(just some grinding to make them fit and two additional holes in the original engine mount horns)
The smart thing is that they position the engine exactly the same way as the weld in mounts but are bolted to the OE horns.

ossme
Marshal
Marshal

Post by ossme »

SSS wrote:... So final result max week3 January ISA! :twisted:
Based on Malte's experience, I should ask, January of which year ?? :lol:
Proud to be Ad4x4 Marshal. :)

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

ossme wrote: Based on Malte's experience, I should ask, January of which year ?? :lol:
That shouldn't happen! But before chafik will build a nice Workshop out of his Appartment ;)

c.b.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

Update :

Today my late Eid present arrived from Novak/US: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Needed Parts PART I:

- Engine Mount bolt on, MMTJ-G6, $170
- 4L60E transmission adapter, 4L61-23, $548.00
- Headers, CCLS1C, $435 (Sanderson ceramic coated)
- Transmission cable shifter, $271 (Lokar)
- Tach Emulator, E-TX62, $148.00
- Transfercase shifter, SK2XC, $174.00
- Transmission PU mount to Skidplate, RMU. $30.00

Still to be ordered:

- Radiator, R-TJ10H, $553
- Fan, FX3300, $292
- A/C relocation kit, ACG3S, $578 (finally decided for the "big" kit with alternator relocation, and new steering pump, reservoir, new A/C and serpentine belt for $1370)

From Jegs:
- 2 x Magnaflow 59956 metallic spun highflow cats (Muhannad recommended leaving them out?!)
- Magnaflow 10791 - X-Pipe
- Magnaflow 12288 - 2 jn 1 Stainless Steel Muffler (the 12388 is longer and still fits ... less noisy!)
and some small parts like exhaust tip, 2x O2 weld in bungs, 2x flex couplers, clamps etc ... they should be able to do the piping here :roll:
(I need to make sure to have high flow and low noise ... but with mellow rumble ... no cats -> resonators? cone inserts?)

wishlist :?
From Savvy:
15" double piston big brake kit for the front!

From HP Tuners:
HPTuner Pro kit If Mebar's/Muhannads work already includes VATS, rear O2 and traction control removal, Tire size/Diff ratio settings and shift points, torque management adjustments? then the software NOT NEEDED NOW ... evetually MAF less tune included as well?

EDIT:
Stock diff ratio on Caprice is 3.07 with 26" tires ... for my 33" tires 4.0 ratio would be the same powerband, 4.11 would be good but in Aussie land the guys tune their cars with 3.9 diffs with same tire size ... so my 4.88 would be same aggressiveness with 33" tires.
I will drive my axles/ratios until something brakes, then will go to 4.11 :twisted: and then retune !
Last edited by SSS on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

update:

All Novak stuff is here or on the way :D

the brake upgrade and the Jegs exhaust stuff need to be ordered still ... and a tuning software (HPTuners OR EFLive ???) ?

I have called Mebar/Rashad two days ago ... and yesterday I have spoken to Muhannad/Tadmur Auto (Ex) :

It turns out Mebar is doing LS swaps into Jeeps regularily ... and they do the tuning/electrics well (Haltech PCM plus Racepak dash) ...
Then I called Muhannad (I got a recommendation from Novak to contact him ;) ) ... it turns out HE is working with Mebar and doing the tuning/electrics for them! (And not necessarily with expensive Haltech stuff) ... usually he does post 1000 hp things :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He is /They are EFILive guys :twisted:

In short : Muhannad knows all the Novak stuff,has done many Jeep conversions and knows how to deal with the pcms/harnesses and Mebar is a good shop. Their prices are higher than 7p ... but they warranty their delivery ... so no hidden follow up costs.

I will visit them next week :twisted: ... anyone wants to join me? :D

aaand : hehehe ... after long digging I found the COMPLETE wiring diagrams and layouts for Holden Statesman/Caprice WH/WH II :shock: :twisted:

Hani AMJ
Founder & Webmaster
Founder & Webmaster

SSS's V8 swap project ... NOT just another bubble! (anymore)

Post by Hani AMJ »

:)

I want a copy of the diagram. Iv been also searching for the l98 6.0 engine PCM diagram

SSS
Advanced
Advanced

Post by SSS »

aand another Update:
SSS wrote: from Novak ...
Still to be ordered:

- Radiator, R-TJ10H, $553
- Fan, FX3300, $292
- A/C relocation kit, ACG3S, $578 (finally decided for the "big" kit with alternator relocation, and new steering pump, reservoir, new A/C and serpentine belt for $1370)

From Jegs (or Summit?):
- 2 x Magnaflow 59956 metallic spun highflow cats (Muhannad recommended leaving them out?!)
- Magnaflow 10791 - X-Pipe
- Magnaflow 12288 - 2 jn 1 Stainless Steel Muffler (the 12388 is longer and still fits ... less noisy!)
and some small parts like exhaust tip, 2x O2 weld in bungs, 2x flex couplers, clamps etc ... they should be able to do the piping here :roll:
(I need to make sure to have high flow and low noise ... but with mellow rumble ... no cats -> resonators? cone inserts?)

wishlist :?
From Savvy:
15" double piston big brake kit for the front!

From HP Tuners:
HPTuner Pro kit If Mebar's/Muhannads work already includes VATS, rear O2 and traction control removal, Tire size/Diff ratio settings and shift points, torque management adjustments? then the software NOT NEEDED NOW ... evetually MAF less tune included as well?
The good news : The rest of the Novak stuff arrived ... :D The 2-core crossflow 3" thick radiator is too nice to disappear in the engine bay :lol: The fan/shroud combo is already attached to the rad and fully covering the area! :twisted:

The bad news: They sent me the corvette A/C plus Alternator / ps pump relocation kit! :evil:
After some mails with Ryan all resolved ... he will send me the right stuff plus some needed goodies (intake piping, shifter boot) as compensation for the inconvenience.
Guys, you should know that corvette balancer and waterpump pulley are much closer to the block, the camaro/F-body LS1s (the Holdens e.g.) further spaced out and the truck LSx engines the furthest out.
YOU CANNOT MIX accessory setups without severe strain to the serpentine belt!

I have revisited the exhaust stuff and will go with a 2x2.5" to 1x3" Y-Pipe, a Moroso spiral flow (as resonator :twisted: :lol: ) an a Magnaflow 24"x8"x5" straight through 3" exhaust with turndown at the end of the tailpipe. Longer is certainly not possible anymore ... wider (22"x11"x5") has a bigger muffler volume but quite tight down there, will need to remaesure again :roll:
But since the Novak stuff will need another couple weeks I am not in a rush to order right now ...
Goal : least restriction with mellow and non aggressive bass rumble! 8-) ... I hate those screaming systems at full throttle ... and Muroor and traffic police will be much friendlier if the noise level is not to be heard in the whole neighborhood :?