Tablet for in car nav/media center

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
jayapriya
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jayapriya »

Hi all,
Anybody using a ipad, android tablet for Nav/Music basically as a replacement to the stock car stereo. I know that I will loose the FM radio as non of the tablets that I know have built in radio. Don't want to use internet radio. FM radio not a big issue.

1 Which tablet. I'm inclined to the samsung galaxy 7 inch( Fits the dash DIN2 slot perfectly).
2 What software for nav (offline mode prefered).
3 Mounting.
Jayapriya aka (JP)
050 3162305

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Re: Tablet for in car nav/media center

Post by MegaMoe »

for my car, i am using a cheap "galaxy wannabe" chinese tablet using adroid 2.2, got it from souq.com and installed google earth with it, i will integrate it with igo or navigon mostly, yet to decide.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

watheq
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by watheq »

MegaMoe wrote:for my car, i am using a cheap "galaxy wannabe" chinese tablet using adroid 2.2, got it from souq.com and installed google earth with it, i will integrate it with igo or navigon mostly, yet to decide.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PROUD TO BE AD4X4 MARSHAL

jayapriya
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jayapriya »

MegaMoe wrote:for my car, i am using a cheap "galaxy wannabe" chinese tablet using adroid 2.2, got it from souq.com and installed google earth with it, i will integrate it with igo or navigon mostly, yet to decide.
I've heard of the chinese tabs in dragon mart. Is the google earth stand alone I mean does it work offline, or does it depend on a 3G network.

What sort of mounting do u have?
Jayapriya aka (JP)
050 3162305

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

A company already has an android replacement radio. It has really good reviews, I have one coming for my car.
http://www.dynavin.com/android.php

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

The question remains the same. Does the application have the geo maps downloaded and it can work off-line i.e. without 3G connection?

I am using the iPhone in the desert but most of the time the coverage is too week or null and hence no maps. Obviously I am not interested in street maps in the middle of the desert, but rather the geagraphical details.
Did 650 Off Road trips so far (26- Jun-2022) and counting
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......

My ride: https://revkit.com/the-shark

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

And if you haven't seen Jeeping in Moab, you don't know what you're missing.

Never settle for less....

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

khaiwi wrote:The question remains the same. Does the application have the geo maps downloaded and it can work off-line i.e. without 3G connection?

I am using the iPhone in the desert but most of the time the coverage is too week or null and hence no maps. Obviously I am not interested in street maps in the middle of the desert, but rather the geagraphical details.

There is a GPS called MotionX GPS, u can download all the maps for offline use and it even has the terrain maps. its available for both iPhone and iPad
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Chevy Silverado Z71

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

Well that takes care of the online maps download, however iPhone does not have GPS module and location is identified via the service provider of 3G not satellites..... Wonder how will you identify your location when 3G signal is not available?

If you haven't been to LIWA, you haven't seen the desert yet......Dare you follow me? !!!!

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

khaiwi wrote:Well that takes care of the online maps download, however iPhone does not have GPS module and location is identified via the service provider of 3G not satellites..... Wonder how will you identify your location when 3G signal is not available?
thats why i went for chinese tablets :mrgreen: in addition to all the restrictions, flash player, fm radio etc ....
Chevy Silverado Z71

jayapriya
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jayapriya »

Thanks dopushups. Nice find. Exactly what I was looking for. 7 inch screen would've be great. But u can't have everything.
Jayapriya aka (JP)
050 3162305

humsafar77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by humsafar77 »

There are two Off line Map Softawres I am using on my android phone and Tablet having GPS hardware.

MAP Droyd - It will only show your position on the map but you can not use this as a real Gps

Co - Pilot - You can plan the route as a normal gps and have almost all the features a proper gps would have.

Oh!! Then what is it humsafar???

hmmmm,    It is a Desert Ride................................

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

khaiwi wrote:The question remains the same. Does the application have the geo maps downloaded and it can work off-line i.e. without 3G connection?

The radio unit I posted does have the offline maps capability. Similar to the iPhone and iPad there are many app that you can download with offline maps. MotionX is VERY good (the satellite imagery is great for off road), but there are others as well.

I do a lot of navigation work off road, and without running a ToughBook Laptop with FalconView or Google Earth satellite imagery you can run the iPhone/iPad with Sat maps downloaded or use the newer Garmin units with BirdsEye capability.

OffRoad Navigation + Satellite Maps= Win

MalteJK

Post by MalteJK »

khaiwi wrote:Well that takes care of the online maps download, however iPhone does not have GPS module and location is identified via the service provider of 3G not satellites..... Wonder how will you identify your location when 3G signal is not available?
All iphones i had until now have a GPS Receiver... I'm using Motion X GPS As well and i don't have any coverage because it's still my German Number/contract on it.
The phones i had so far and tested were : 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4 ...

So you can use this app. I asked them, if they can create a custom Map Import function... They told me that it Might Be possible, soon. Because a Lot of ppl are asking about this already...
So maybe soon we have google satellite maps As well offline with Motion x ;)
http://www.oryx4x4.com

“Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live”
c.b.

#green Jk Sahara ( totally stock ) ( 2013 -
#green Jk Sport ( totally struck ) ( 2013 - 2013 )
#white nissan badroll(stuck) ( 2012-2013 )
#silver jk Sahara unlimited ( stock ) ( 2010- )

phone : 0567786537

lead: Newbie(2) Intermediate(11), Advanced(5)

DoPushUps
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DoPushUps »

I haven't cracked one open to check, but all the information on the iPhone 4 states that it does have a GPS. I think you meant the iPad?

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by khaiwi »

MalteJK and DoPushUps,

I am talking aboiut iPhone4 specifically and so far I still think it relies on 3G service provider for location services. Otherwise the GPS function should continue normally where the signal is not available which is not the case.

However, I coule be wrong so guys enlighten me :idea: :idea: Maybe there is some setting to be enabled or something !!!!! :ugeek: :ugeek: