Jeep Cherokee Wobble Death.... WHY ? ?

Dedicated forums for members projects and DIY guides
Mubz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Jeep Cherokee Wobble Death.... WHY ? ?

Post by Mubz »

Mine is Rough Country and was purchased locally.
Mubz
Jeep Chrokee XJ

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

If you have put bigger tyres, you will need to adjust the trackbar length accordingly.
I would start here and check that first. Do you have the original trackbar or do you an adjustable one?

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

Here's a youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AV363s1JN0

Check the length is correct and refasten according to torque specs.

Mubz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mubz »

Changed track bar old one was fine but had slightly worn out on the axle end so i put anither factory one

But that didn't fix the issue

Changed mechanic and he immediately found that one of the bush that attaches to steering control was lose so will have to change that and then do the alignment

I hope all will be sorted on Saturday

I will report again after doing so if anyone else has anything to input please do so.
Mubz
Jeep Chrokee XJ

Mubz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mubz »

Thanks heinz while at it i will get this checked as well
Mubz
Jeep Chrokee XJ

Mubz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mubz »

Finally I believe I got rid of wobble Death, so here is my journey of getting rid of it.

1. Replaced Steering Shock
2. Replaced Track Bar ( not adjustable but original Jeep Trackbar)
3. Replaced Steering joint ( Tie Rod End joint)
4, Wheel Balancing
5. Wheel Alignment.

Now Alhamdullilah all seems to be fine however car wobbles between 80 - 100 KM it used to wobble on my preivous XJ aswell and some say its because car is lifted ?

any comments on how to get rid of it.

It only wobbles when either accelerating from 80 - 100 or applying brakes and it comes back form 100 - 70.

Once Again Thanks alot for your input. I hope I wont any more trips because of this.
Mubz
Jeep Chrokee XJ

heinz
Advanced
Advanced

Post by heinz »

My XJ is lifted 3,5 inch and doesn't wobble... :mrgreen:

How much lift do you have? If your XJ is lifted, you should need a longer trackbar. If you have stock trackbar your front axle will be out of center.

If you have a light wobble around 80km/h, I would first suspect the wheels/tires. do you have equal tire pressure, are wheels balanced, etc...?

Mubz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Mubz »

heinz wrote:My XJ is lifted 3,5 inch and doesn't wobble... :mrgreen:

How much lift do you have? If your XJ is lifted, you should need a longer trackbar. If you have stock trackbar your front axle will be out of center.

If you have a light wobble around 80km/h, I would first suspect the wheels/tires. do you have equal tire pressure, are wheels balanced, etc...?
And the Wobble Death is back again but this time only above 130 Km/h

My XJ is lifted 2.5 Rough Country

Longer Track Bar ? where can I find it ? Couldn't find it in Sharjah ( Al mazaya)

Wobble: tyres are balanced almost equal pressure ( 30psi) Tyres are about 3 yreas old (11-2011) but in good condition.

Would you recommend any good garage in Dubai / Sharjah even can take it to abu dhabi if they do a good job.
Mubz
Jeep Chrokee XJ

ADRugger12

Post by ADRugger12 »

Hello All. I know I am last to chime in here.

From my experience i notice that a lot of people are buying lift kits and thinking this will fix the problem. Remember there are over 20 parts all working together to make the ride smooth. If any of the geometry is off you will have issues. lifts of any height will cause the wheel track to change if the track bar hasn't been replaced with the proper length or adjustable one. "Death wobble" is caused by many things. However many attempt to throw possible parts at them in an attempt to fix the problem. Remember especially if you are having a problem with a second or third owner car you will most likely be the first ever to perform and kind of service to the suspension.

Here is a list of things to check. This is in no particular order as all vehicles have a tendency to wear slightly differently

1. Tie rod ends, bushings, and center links.
2. Wheel Bearings
3. Track Bar Bushings and ends.( XJ owners also check the frame rail mount which has a tendency to crack if you are rough on the vehicle)
4. Control arm bushings
5. Ball joints
6. Steering gear. (these usually last 100k before they show signs of play. Some models can make adjustments to the engagement but remember this needs to be done by experienced technician)
7. Shock absorbers.(this may be in conjunction with wheel balance.
8. wheel balance
9. Steering Stabalizers- these only provide equal resistance to the output shaft to keep the steering from kicking back. you can easily drive without one (just keep two hands on the wheel ;) )

The most important thing you can do is have the alignment checked twice. Put it up once make the adjustments. pull off the rack lock to lock turns in reverse and then drive. then pull back onto rack. if any settings change dramatically you will know what will need replacement. I know no one has one of these in their garage or parking. but 300 aed will get you a alignment check at some shops in mussafah. dont pay over 500 though.

Source: I was an ASE certified Mechanic in the US and Had my own shop up until 2008 just before moving here to the sand pit.

I am willing to help anyone who has further questions.
1996 XJ Sport 3" lift new everything- Looking into stroker and M/T

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7l Hemi w/ Quadra Drive. Stock.

ADRugger12

Post by ADRugger12 »

DinoStroker wrote:
Mubz wrote:
Regarding Wheel Alignment, I've heard Adnoc does a really good job as their equipment is well taken care off ( Just Heard), also read on a forum that lifted 4x4's have different setting of wheel alignment then standard 4x4. is that true ?
You'll definitely need to check and adjust the wheel alignment when you change the ride height. The camber and caster are fixed due to the solid front axle and four-link suspension set-up, but the toe can be adjusted through the tie rod ends.
Depending on the amount of lift, you may need longer control arms to restore the proper caster.
just to point out Caster is the angle at which your wheels are turned from center. Typically it has no effect on straight line handling or effect on "Deth Wobble" problems. If you are a lover of the straight axle then have a look at the axle tube plug welds. if you see any seepage from these areas then you probably have unseated the tube slightly and caster will always be off. There is no adjustment for caster on some models. Uthers usually shim the control arms to return the angle to a factory spec.

ADRugger12

Post by ADRugger12 »

Mubz wrote:
heinz wrote:My XJ is lifted 3,5 inch and doesn't wobble... :mrgreen:

And the Wobble Death is back again but this time only above 130 Km/h

My XJ is lifted 2.5 Rough Country

Longer Track Bar ? where can I find it ? Couldn't find it in Sharjah ( Al mazaya)

Wobble: tyres are balanced almost equal pressure ( 30psi) Tyres are about 3 yreas old (11-2011) but in good condition.

Would you recommend any good garage in Dubai / Sharjah even can take it to abu dhabi if they do a good job.
Here is an Idea. Don't drive 130k. hahaha. Speed limit is 120. ;) Check wheel bearings.