Google Earth Blocked by Etisalat ( FIX)

Questions related to the website and IT in general
G-man
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Google Earth Blocked by Etisalat ( FIX)

Post by G-man »

9ball wrote:I just called them because I have the 16 Mb eLife, and they said the monthly "fair" limit is 100Gb. I should be ok this month, but close. Will have to tell my wife to slow down a megabit!
Its the fact that I have to calculate, choose and time manage what I download that I don't like about it. I would rather have a speed cap like Al-Shamil but with E-Life it has become a time limit in a way. Eventually we would be all forced to switch to E-Life. On a 30MB connection, you'll finish 100GB limit within the first day.
2000 Patrol 4.5 Auto Petrol - Old Man EMU 2" Lift + 2" Body Lift - 15mm Radius Arm Spacer - ARB Lockers Front & Rear - 4.6 Diff Gears - Mickey Thompson MTZs 315/75/16 - IPF 900XS Lights - Garmin 276C.

mike0967
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by mike0967 »

I wonder what you guys are downloading to reach 100 gigs within one day :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike
// mike0967@ad4x4.com // Member #056 // BMW 118D //

Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal...

G-man
Advanced
Advanced

Post by G-man »

A DVD is 4.7GB single layer, Duel layer is double.
A TV show in HD is around 1GB per 45 minutes
The average PC game is about 7 to 15 GB (steam download)
Then add all the streaming in HD from Youtube, Liveleak, Netflix... etc. etc.

100GB is nothing in reality + the more speed you have the more things you'll find to fill it up. I'm already doing 350-400GB a month on Al-Shamil 2MB, if I was using E-Life 16-30 MB... that's about 300 GB above their limit calculated at 25 per GB = 7500 Dirhams that they can charge me legally of over use. :evil: . I called Etisalat again today, Still no clear answer on why the big discrepancy between Al-Shamil and E-Life, so I must assume the above scenario is possible. If that is the case then for a heavy user Al-shamil is a much better choice and a lot cheaper in any time frame.
2000 Patrol 4.5 Auto Petrol - Old Man EMU 2" Lift + 2" Body Lift - 15mm Radius Arm Spacer - ARB Lockers Front & Rear - 4.6 Diff Gears - Mickey Thompson MTZs 315/75/16 - IPF 900XS Lights - Garmin 276C.

nikofin

Post by nikofin »

I have to agree with G-man. 100Gigs in a month is not too much. With my current usage (and with 4meg Al Shamil) I am still under 100gb a month. But with a faster connection it's very easy to go over. Especially when the TV and movie content is becoming largerly HD.

250-300 would be closer to fair-to-the-customer fair-usage limit.

It's just that these < 10 meg speeds are frustrating.

BTW, It's not too easy to upgrade.
I moved recently. Went to their office to get Al Shamil relocated. Relatively easy thing to do (but go before 4pm), only couple of queues and counters. Tried to do the upgrade at the same time. They told it's impossible, the relocation of the connection must be done first and then I needed to come back again and apply for upgrade. (and this time I was planning to upgrade to 16mg Al Shamil)

Excellent relocation service btw, ordered relocation on Thu 3pm. Relocated Sat 8am!

After relocation called them asking to upgrade to eLife, gave my internet account number, they asked my landline number, don't have one, they asked for if I knew anybody from he building with a landline, said no, they said they cannot do the upgrade unless I know a landline number in the building...

Went to their office few days ago at around 16:30. Filled in the form for upgrade, went to counter, they told me to come between 8-14...

Maybe one day.

G-man
Advanced
Advanced

Post by G-man »

Under a 100GB in a month... :lol:

You have to work with what you got. Since you're paying for it and its a flat fee, you might as well max it out. :twisted:. My connection is not fast enough to stream HD content, even though they compress the hell out of it and the bit rates are way lower than real HD.