F150 Mods and Discussion

Anything related to off-road Technical questions and Modifications
BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

Re: F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by BBQBear »

The 6.2 has a significant about of more horsepower and torque than a 5.0. It is much like the Jeep issue. Buy a Sport and do it yourself or buy a Rubicon and buy one ready. With the raptor you have limited options such as the 1.5 cab here in the UAE. The Raptor is going to cost you more money. I think 60000 AED more. But you get a 4" lift, Fox Racing Shocks, better offroad tires, 6.2L V8, 4.10 gears, different body pannels, and all of it stays under warranty. Where if you modify the non raptors you take the chance of losing the warranty with modifications

The GCC models do have a higher fan speed. But I have not seen any overheating issues for the most part except with the Roush Raptor. On hot days in the summer it can get a bit too hot.
If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

smokinjoe72

Post by smokinjoe72 »

New to the site, have been looking to make some mods to my 14' fx4. Love the truck, been my daily for a year now, gotta like sales on last year's models..... I've been out camping and a little bit of running in the sand, not really experienced at it so haven't strayed too far yet. One of my biggest concerns I'd the tires... are the stock pirellis any good? I did find that they seemed to dig in a bit when I got into really soft stuff...

I live near mussafah and am looking for a good place for accessories, doesn't look like many places have websites to peruse first and my time is limited to drive around window shopping. Would like to find some basics for the truck, air filters, skid plates, brush guards/bumper protection...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by BBQBear »

Hello smokinjoe72. To answer your first question, I ran stock Perelli tires for a while. You can get by but you would need to make a switch. Problem is if you don't go with a stock size tire from ford it could cause problems with warranty. More bad news is that the only other stick size for the F150 are the Raptor tires which are 17" rims. They are 315/70/17. More bad news is that they won't really fit unless you have a 4" lift like the raptor. There are plenty of people who run different sizes and don't have warranty issues. But be warned. If you do decide to run those ford can change your PCM to those size tires. But if you want a different size and want to chance I like we all do, I would try a 285-295/55/20. If you want new rims, you could go with a rim offset of 0 (stock is +30). They will stick out a bit. Technically if your tires stick outside the fenders it could cause an issue at plate renewal but you probably won't have to deal with that for at least a year, maybe 2. If they do stick out you can buy fender flares or switch back to stock for testing.

Second is a leveling kit for a cheaper route. I would do a 2" kit. Fancy has them (out of stock until next week) for 1200 installed. A lift kit could be anywhere from 5000-16000 or more depending on what you want. The lift kit is a whole other conversation. If you want to know more about it ask.

For air filters, most f150s run two different kind. First is the Volant. It is a dry air filter. I run it along with some others. It works great. A few of us have had a leak with the new coolant tank that comes with the kit but a little work and it holds up fine. Fancy in Mussafah has them and cost 22-2400 I can't remember for sure. The other that people choose is the Roush intake. It is over 3000 I think. People run them and they work fine. They do not replace the stock coolant tank with that one.

There are options for bumpers and skid plates. You can have one made. We have a good fabricator who will make you one customized the way you like. It is steel with an aluminum plate. They cost about 2500 plus the around 300 for an install. If you want it painted something other than black that will also be a cost around 6-800. I have one. There is Nfab which is another brand. Tony007 has one. He paid around 6000. It is a bumper/ skid plate combo. The only place I have seen them here stocked for f150s is fancy. You can also get push bars and bull bars.

You will need Offroad lights. You can do a roof mount and will fit a 50" across the top or if you get an aftermarket one they can be mounted on or in the bumper. On the bumper you can get up to a 54" curved. I also run that. It's s lot of light. I think I got mine at Dragon Mart for around 650. The place I go I have bought several light bars with no issues. If you need the contact I can let you know where to go.

I would also consider a chip tuner. I use a bully dog and others use SCT. If you leave your tune in without returning to stock it will definitely void your warranty. You can return it to stock and you will be fine. They run around 1400.

So that is some stuff to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to know what someone is like; take a good look at how they treat their inferiors, not their equals.

smokinjoe72

Post by smokinjoe72 »

Thanks for the great info. Will probably look at changing the wheels/tires when these are closer to end of life. Just curious, how much of a difference does the air filter and tuning kits make? I've been out a few times and haven't had any power issues, granted my excursions have been limited to an hour here or there, no extended desert driving. Just little play while out camping.

does the levelling kit or lifting affect the handling much.

Thanks again for the info, most helpful..

BBQBear
Advanced
Advanced

F150 Mods and Discussion

Post by BBQBear »

No problem. To answer your questions about will it make much difference: Yes. It will. Better and noticeable throttle response with a cleanable filter and the tuner will give you more torque. Not sure who you have been following but at some point you will be glad you got the tuner. It also has a tune for fuel consumption. If you use it your fuel rate will drop to about 14L/ 100 km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinjoe72

Post by smokinjoe72 »

Been a little while since I've been on here. Was actually in Mussafah a few weeks back checking out fancy and a few other shops with my son, looking for some deals on your suggestions here. Much to my wife's dismay we stopped into the Ford dealership there and found a brand new '14 FX4 with the off road package 6.2L 6"lift and the other bells and whistles. Got a great deal.. now to make it bit more mine if you know what I mean... will look at the bumpers and skid plates probably closer to the end of the summer. any recommendations for the tune chip for the 6.2L?